Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

My Spark crashed! Can you help determine why?

Hi,
It was almost precisely North, so was the water, North.
If you look at your first post you can see the AC thinks it's heading is east. This comes from the .txt log that I looked at when I posted #14 above. This and the flight after launch is a textbook example of having launched from a site that is geomagnetically distorted. If you haven't sent your Spark off yet please retrieve the .DAT files before you do.

Geomagnetic distortions are often caused by rebar in concrete. But, usually the effects don't extend beyond 2 or 3 feet (this can be seen by looking at the .DAT). In your case I suspect the problem may have been a nail, screw, bolt or bracket used to hold the railing together. You could try moving a regular compass over the surface of your launch site to find that metal object. The effect would be localized; i.e. moving the compass 1 cm would be significant.

Here is an example that is similar to your incident. Launch was from a park bench. Unbeknownst to the pilot there was a steel under structure that caused the compromised Yaw

Mavic crashed due to compass error

In your flight the Flight Controller thought the heading was east at launch. Shortly after launch the Spark drifted north. Since the FC thought the heading was east that means the FC thought the Spark had drifted west and that the correction would be to fly to the east; i.e. to the right. That's why the SPARK veered off to the right.

Last edited:
As they say in the movies, "Gump...you're a genius !!!" Excellent investigative work Bud. Thank you so very much. Makes perfect sense. I'm going to go back there and check out the magnetic environment if I can precisely position a sensor. Next time before I launch I should also check orientation to the known cardinal directions and what is reported by the aircraft on the DJI Go4 app before I fly.
The Spark is already on its way to DJI so its a shame I didn't realize I could have downloaded the .DAT file. I will certainly do that in any case next time.
Thanks you again for being so helpful.

I use a "Teslameter" as part of my pre-launch to check my immediate environment for magnetic interference:
Teslameter 11th: Pro Metal Detector on the App Store
The geomagnetic distortion in this incident probably didn't extend beyond 4 or 5 inches from the launch site.

Better yet is to just look at the red triangle in the Go App and see if it's pointing in the right direction. Doing this is the single most effective method of preventing launch time fly aways.
upload_2017-7-9_9-28-54.png

@msinger I would have normally agreed with you but I've been able to replicate the issue using the compass on my iPhone. I have it sitting about 10 feet away from the ceiling fan and the compass on the phone is pointing North. I start the ceiling fan and within a few seconds it's changed by at least 70 degrees.

It may be something within the wiring/framing in my house but it was quite surprising.

The compass goes back to normal a few seconds after the fan stops spinning.

Better yet is to just look at the red triangle in the Go App and see if it's pointing in the right direction. Doing this is the single most effective method of preventing launch time fly aways.
View attachment 418[/QUOTE]

I agree, this is the best advice to come out of this for me. Quad flyers please take note !!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe