Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

My SPARKY arrived !

Icemanwbs

Join
Jul 31, 2018
Greetings ! My Spark finally arrived. I unboxed and charged all batteries. As this is my first Spark ( i got the Fly More bunndle) I want to make sure I do everything right. Can someone please list all the essential steps needed to get me on my way.
I do have some (limited) flight time with a Sema x5 and also my excellent Tello.
Thank you for any advice. ☺20180808_120622.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparkster
Next you need to download the DJI Go4 app & check for updates. I would be surprised if your new spark has the latest firmware.
I don’t know the X5 or your location, check the aviation regulations of your country, you may find there are restrictions on where you can fly your new quad, that do not apply to your other drones.
If you attempt to fly in a NFZ, (no fly zone) the Spark will refuse to take off or fly into these zones. Find an app like “Airmap for drones” to show you the NFZs. I also use an app from the Aviation Authorities to double check.
Congrats on getting a Spark. Welcome to the forum.
Happy flying.

Reactions: Icemanwbs
You will like the Spark. My Tello sits on a shelf most of the time because the Sparks are so much easier/better/more fun to fly. The remote controller makes flying so much easier than flying with the simulated joysticks on the Tello app. GPS makes the Spark seem rock steady when you want to hover. The Tello flips are kind of cool, but the novelty wears off pretty quickly. I like my Spark so much that I bought another one to have as a spare.

Thanks ! I was able to launch and land using my phone as a controller. Now I just have to figure out the RC. But, work calls ! Lol

Reactions: thewhatever
Reactions: AirCam
Good luck...I unboxed mine and started setting it up today also....Very frustrating, although I expected that...Not sure who got hotter...Sparky or me. Pretty sure me! I got the Fly More bundle too...I'm on my 2nd battery just doing setup, lol. Yeah, whoever wrote the instructions for DJI should be fired !!!! Come on now we seriously shouldn't have to go through "all this" , but I fully knew what I was getting into. Probably would have been more satisfying to light 5 one hundred dollar bills on fire at this point...

But.....Less than an hour after that last post, I just flew my Spark for the very first time, only to launch, and then land...in my carport, because it's raining lightly ATM. But wow was that exhilarating, and made it all worth while. I strongly suggest watching the above video with your phone in hand and go through it with him. I'll be watching it again!

Question though. I bought my Spark from Newegg, but I want to buy the dji Care. I activated it today. How do I go about buying it?? I know I only have 2 days to do so.

Good luck...I unboxed mine and started setting it up today also....Very frustrating, although I expected that...Not sure who got hotter...Sparky or me. Pretty sure me! I got the Fly More bundle too...I'm on my 2nd battery just doing setup, lol. Yeah, whoever wrote the instructions for DJI should be fired !!!! Come on now we seriously shouldn't have to go through "all this" , but I fully knew what I was getting into. Probably would have been more satisfying to light 5 one hundred dollar bills on fire at this point...
Yes, I know exactly what you mean ! I did get to fly and land with just the phone. I still didn't get the RC to work. Unfortunately i had to get to work. I'll be watching that video ( and many others lol )

What sequence does everyone use as far as turning everything on ?

Remote first, Spark second, let them link (green led on remote), Go4 app last.

RC enthusiasts have the practice of turning on the remote first to have control.
If the object being controlled is powered up first, it may get an erroneous radio signal from something and get a mind of its own and there's nothing the operator can do.

But with Sparks technology, it may not matter the sequence of power up.

Well, I got screwed out of being able to buy DJI Care refresh, by my own doing I'm sure. I opened the package a few days ago and tried activating it then...Didn't think it worked, got frustrated, and put it away for a few days. Yesterday i did get it set up...went to but the refresh today and it says it's been activated over 2 days. The only flying it has done is to launch and then land a few times yesterday, when I thought it was actually activated...NO actually flying yet. I REALLY wanted this protection, so just be warned...When you get into setting this beast up, make damned sure you buy the warranty immediately. I know there is another way to get it but it's a HUGE PITA.

Well, I got screwed out of being able to buy DJI Care refresh, by my own doing I'm sure. I opened the package a few days ago and tried activating it then...Didn't think it worked, got frustrated, and put it away for a few days. Yesterday i did get it set up...went to but the refresh today and it says it's been activated over 2 days. The only flying it has done is to launch and then land a few times yesterday, when I thought it was actually activated...NO actually flying yet. I REALLY wanted this protection, so just be warned...When you get into setting this beast up, make damned sure you buy the warranty immediately. I know there is another way to get it but it's a HUGE PITA.

I called and spoke with someone, and they told me to email them...Apparently I did activate it Monday when I was originally playing with it, so the lady I spoke with said they MIGHT give me an exemption, or I would have to do the video proof, which doesn't sound fun or easy. I'll let you know how it goes. Was hoping to take her out for a real flight today, but now I don't dare until this is resolved...

Whew, I just got this reply from DJI, and in a pretty timely manner i must say.

"As a one-time courtesy, we'll give you another 72 hours to purchase online. You should now be able to purchase using this link:"

Looks like I might be able to go for a test flight today after all...If I get my "chores" done first. The weird thing is, when I was first trying to activate my Spark, I got a message saying something like "if you are viewing this page your drone has not been activated yet", but apparently that was wrong.

So remember, sometimes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease! Thank you DJI !!!

pretty sure the url they sent is case specific, but I finally got it to work. I learned there are no letter "O" s in the serial number...only zeros, but I still had to enter it about a dozen times and 3 emails to customer service.

Seems like they would tell you this up front since it matters...but that's China for you!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar