Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New spark - battery wont light up and it wont charge

robtrink

Join
Oct 12, 2017
I bought a brand new spark off amazon. When I got the unit, I plugged it into the charger that came with the device (wall outlet + usb cable). After about three hours, I unplugged it and tried to turn it on. the battery will not light up and the unit does not appear to charge.

Has anyone had this happen? I plugged it back in and still don't see any lights on the battery. I will leave it over night but it feels like something is wrong with this.

Reactions: pvitale
I bought a brand new spark off amazon. When I got the unit, I plugged it into the charger that came with the device (wall outlet + usb cable). After about three hours, I unplugged it and tried to turn it on. the battery will not light up and the unit does not appear to charge.

Has anyone had this happen? I plugged it back in and still don't see any lights on the battery. I will leave it over night but it feels like something is wrong with this.

When the battery is in the charger and the charger is plugged in, do any of the lights light up in sequence?

Are you sure all components are plugged in fully with each other?

Is the battery seated properly in the charger?

Did you try another wall socket?

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I tried multiple wall outlets. I also tried other chargers just to make sure. I took the DJI charger and usb cable and plugged it into 3 other devices, it definitely charges those tablets/phones.

When I plug it in nothing happens. No lights, beeps, or anything. There is some red scuff marks near a prop and the battery terminals on the bottom of the battery appear discolored and some show a white residue. I made sure the battery was well seated. The spark warms up but never the battery.

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I tried multiple wall outlets. I also tried other chargers just to make sure. I took the DJI charger and usb cable and plugged it into 3 other devices, it definitely charges those tablets/phones.

When I plug it in nothing happens. No lights, beeps, or anything. There is some red scuff marks near a prop and the battery terminals on the bottom of the battery appear discolored and some show a white residue. I made sure the battery was well seated. The spark warms up but never the battery.

Sounds like you don't have a new unit. I'd return it for a refund and find another source.

I had similar problem but I lived it around on charger and it worked. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N950U using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

This may sound silly, but did you "activate" the battery by pressing the switch on the rear after connecting to the charger?

I just got my Spark today from Amazon and came across the same issue. I found that there might be an issue with the micro usb cable that came with the drone. I used the same dji wall plug and used a different micro usb cable and the lights started to flash and the battery started to charge. Hopefully DJI will take note of this and issue better cables. I used one from me samsung galaxy S7.

Just an update, I ended up sending the device back to Amazon. It was fulfilled by a third party and was clearly used.

Hopefully Amazon corrects the issue with the reseller. DJI was willing to replace the device but it would have been a much longer return process that could have ran into an issue.

The battery, as well as the drone, were definitely damaged to the point of not working.

I have the combo version .. with the three-pocket tacle charger..I confirm that I tried to charge the drone on the drone and the green LEDs have to go in sequence..and then i deduce that it is the coax cable or the battery

the battery terminals on the bottom of the battery appear discolored and some show a white residue.

That's all you need to know, "white residue on contacts". That's corrosion and indicates it got wet while it was applying power. (flying) Smart batteries like that have a micro computer in them running all the time with power, and (internal) water exposure to them is almost always lethal because power+metal+water creates conductive corrosion which shorts out the computer. If it's not turning on and not accepting a charge, it's likely bricked. I would be very surprised if you ever get that battery working again.

Definitely a used unit, probably someone crashed and dunked it and then did a return and the yutz that refurb-checked it didn't do his job. Returning it was the right response.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar