Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

NFZ restricted space

hls811

Join
Jul 10, 2018
I live in NJ a few miles from where the president stays when he vacations. Whenever he's in town the area is a No Fly Zone which is understandable.

Is there a mode that will allow local flights up to a certain altitude or something just around my house? Does the limitations of beginner mode allow useage?

I live in NJ a few miles from where the president stays when he vacations. Whenever he's in town the area is a No Fly Zone which is understandable.

Is there a mode that will allow local flights up to a certain altitude or something just around my house? Does the limitations of beginner mode allow useage?
Not legally.

Not legally.
Thanks.. Enough said.. I'm not looking to circumvent the laws or anything.. I was hoping that on some of the cheaper models there was a non-GPS mode or something like that.
Looks like a Tello instead of a Spark...

The NFZ's are all or nothing. There's no ceiling height that is permissible. There is no drone types that are exempt. Doesn't matter if it's an Inspire or Spark or Tello.

Given that a drone was used just last week in an assassination attempt on the Venezuelan president you wouldn't want to fly around a POTUS visit. Next knock on the door could be Secret Service!

Does that only apply when he is in town or all the time?
If it's all the time that really sucks!! Especially for back yard flying.

It's only when he's in town but lately that's been quite often. He's been here the past 11 days and prior to that is been weekend trips (which is when I would have been using it).

It's only when he's in town but lately that's been quite often. He's been here the past 11 days and prior to that is been weekend trips (which is when I would have been using it).
The NJ Drone User Group on Meet-Up (NJ Drone User Group (Clifton, NJ)) has weekend events outside of POTUS NFZ’s. Suggest you give it a shot!

I'm in the same boat. using NLD for these temp VIP NFZ, but I stay below200 ft in the woods where I fly. the police waved to me this past Friday evening and told me the drone was cool.

the NFZ is 30 nautical miles from Morristown, NJ and the surrounding areas where the president is , i am in the NFZ also S.I. N. Y. . if you can join a RC club and join the AMA there are RC clubs that will open their flying fields to clubs affected in the the NFZ . we went through this last year on and off ( about 14 days in a row ) then some week ends . when ever the president go to his home and golf course in N.Y. and N.J. , for 30 nautical miles , every thing that fly is grounded . if you get caught you just mite be in a little trouble , you can fly indoors just put your prop guards on .

If the drone is under .55 pounds it can legally fly in a nfz zone. That is the law.

no you cannot fly an RC in a NFZ . read below .

You are receiving this email because of your affiliation with the Academy of Model Aeronautics.
Wednesday, August 1, 2018
An FAA NOTAM/TFR has been issued for Morristown, NJ and the surrounding areas for Thursday, August 2 from 8:30 pm EDT to 9:45 pm EDT. The TFR is issued for security purposes to cover VIP movement in this area. Outdoor radio control model aircraft operations are prohibited within a 30 nm radius for the specific times listed below. Control Line and Free Flight modelers should use discretion when operating within the TFR. Please note that TFRs are subject to change with very short notice. Check back often for the most current NOTAM/TFR information.

Security Sensitive Airspace Restrictions
The FAA, under 14 CFR § 99.7 — Special Security Instructions (SSI), has prohibited all UAS flights within the airspace defined under UAS NOTAM FDC7/7282. The restrictions extend from the ground up to 400 feet AGL, apply to all types and purposes of UAS flight operations, and remain in effect 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Last edited:
to all drone flyers : join the AMA they will send you an email regarding NOTAM'S and TFR , when they are in effect in your area most RC clubs will make you join for your own and outer people's injures on flying sites . i'm not a spokesman for the AMA but they are our voice in Washington on drone control and what the FAA is trying to enforce in the RC HOBBY .
the next step is they are trying to have us put a small licence plate our drone aircraft , most likely your FAA number . just another way to keep an honest person honest .

but they are our voice in Washington on drone control and what the FAA is trying to enforce in the RC HOBBY

I really hate to say, no they are not.
They stood idly by when drone registration was started in the fall of 2015.
Took Taylor vs FAA to kill the requirement - that is until President Trump signed the National Defense Authorization Act.

Also, they were not invited when this group in the video posted here met - and the AMA STILL has not made a stink of not being invited.
Starts @18:10

I really hate to say, no they are not.
They stood idly by when drone registration was started in the fall of 2015.
Took Taylor vs FAA to kill the requirement - that is until President Trump signed the National Defense Authorization Act.

Also, they were not invited when this group in the video posted here met - and the AMA STILL has not made a stink of not being invited.
Starts @18:10
RC registration was going to happen no matter what ,Taylor vs FAA was great for the little guy but after the court case they got it their way it just took a little longer . why would the AMA make a stink and why do you think the AMA was not invited ? .

RC registration was going to happen no matter what ,Taylor vs FAA was great for the little guy but after the court case they got it their way it just took a little longer . why would the AMA make a stink and why do you think the AMA was not invited ? .

The point about registration is not "it was going to happen anyway", it is about the AMA did nothing to fight it.
It took the little guy to fight it and win...for a short while.

On the other issue, the AMA was not present representing our interests and this was an invitation only round table discussion.

Look, I know the AMA is a great organization but since I have watched them from 2015, it seems their interest is to all types of flight except drones.

Last edited:
Reactions: AirCam
The point about registration is not "it was going to happen anyway", it is about the AMA did nothing to fight it.
It took the little guy to fight it and win...for a short while.

On the other issue, the AMA was not present representing our interests and this was an invitation only round table discussion.

Look, I know the AMA is a great organization but since I have watched them from 2015, it seems their interest is to all types of flight except drones.
are you a current member of the AMA ? . if not , why not .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis