Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

No Video Recording in Gesture Mode?

regdawg

Join
Jul 16, 2017
I just wanted to confirm this or perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I noticed that you can't record video in Gesture Mode....is this right? If this is right....that's a bummer. Are you able to take pics using the controller while in gesture mode?

You're referring to the QuickShot flight mode. Check out this video for more details:

Thanks Msinger.....I had my modes mixed up. Still though...no video recording in gesture mode sucks. I mean whats the point when you wave to Spark....it backs up and flys up to follow you....you can't record video. Instead you need to go to ActiveTrack.

In some YT video, it is said that contrary to common belief, video in gesture mode does work. If it is engaged first (before the double tap, I guess). Didn't try myself though.

EDIT: I tried it now and it works. However, when recording video, the selfie gesture is recognized (red flashes) but no picture is actually taken. It is instructive to watch it tracking in the movie and understand the moment it bails out (if it does). So what is missing is a gesture to start video.

It isn't really an issue though as uncontrolled mode (gesture w/o the phone) often leads to a situation where the drone is unable to watch its commander (e.g., lens pointing into an inaccessible spot). It then is uncontrollable which is why I call this mode so. I.e., always needing to have a link to the drone isn't that bad.

Last edited:
What I did for recording video in Gesture Mode was hit record, switched it over to Gesture Mode, then did whatever I wanted on it.
Makes for a cool circle shot with the remote on a rock far away and just your hand in the corner of the screen.

Surely they can introduce a 'start video' gesture? Would make the gesture control a bit less pointless.

Right - just tried a few tests. If you take off using wifi and your phone, then start video, then activate gesture mode from the 'mode menu', you will be told that it can't enter gesture mode as video is running - 'press ok to stop video'. Bummer. But...if you switch on Sparky, then begin the video before you fly, then use double tap to enter gesture mode, it will go into gesture mode , fly and keep recording video. This would be useful for the 'follow me' mode used by gesture control. Hopefully DJI will give us a new gesture to make it just start video.

Just downloaded most recent DJI Go 4 for android...it added a start video recording gesture(1 arm up at 45° angle) and gimbal speed adjust

I haven't tried it yet.
97fb67031a6f96e02117c81f9f9f9cbc.jpg

Reactions: Mike_in_Letcombe
Right - just tried a few tests. If you take off using wifi and your phone, then start video, then activate gesture mode from the 'mode menu', you will be told that it can't enter gesture mode as video is running - 'press ok to stop video'. Bummer. But...if you switch on Sparky, then begin the video before you fly, then use double tap to enter gesture mode, it will go into gesture mode , fly and keep recording video. This would be useful for the 'follow me' mode used by gesture control. Hopefully DJI will give us a new gesture to make it just start video.
Thanks for the headsup on this

Let us know if it works...

That would definitely be helpful if this worked. Heck if they can polish out the gesture stuff and maybe add more it'll truly be a selfie drone. I'd be willing to complain less on the distance issues.

I still have yet to see the update in the app store for me. I'm on android with Sprint if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Well at least it's coming. I need this by September (off on hols) so I'm not desperate. Should be a nice feature to have and I see they're adding 'gimbal speed control' as well.

Not showing up in my playstore yet but I do like some of those options. Just hope it doesnt disable the OTG cable!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef