Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

NSW and Sydney

Hi all, I'm Will

I have a red spark (red flies faster right?), and will be practising flying quite often around Silverwater and Olympic Park!

hi guys P4 and RED SPARK owner been flying PHANTOMS for 3 yrs make sure u get the app **** CAN I FLY THERE *** the goverment has realeased pls check before u fly in a area fines are getting higher better to be safe than sorry i did the olympics stadium 2 yeaars ago rules have changed now HAPPY FLYING GUYS has posted some FLYOVERS on YOU TUBE

Yep @AWESOMEAUSSIE FLYOVERS I have the app!

Just wondering though, in the yellow highlighted zones, when it says the below, I am assuming it is OK to fly so long as there are no other aircraft in the air that I know of? Is it just the normal restrictions apply such as no going over 120m (in addition to landing if there are any other manned aircraft)?

"Close to XXXXXXX
If you drone weighs more than 100g, you must not launch within 5.5km of this aerodome/helicopter landing site (HLS) if you are aware, or become aware, that manned aircraft are operating to or from this aerodome/HLS..."

Which is the nearest place to Pennant hills that I can fly drone. I have a trip to Cairns and Daintree and I am still a newbie in flying my spark. Anyone around who can show me a few tips hands on? Can pay for your time (if reasonable) get yku a beer.

Is that true that by Australian law we CAN NOT fly the drone with goggles on. Its only for a 2nd person ( not flying with controller) to only "observe" the flight. Just been told that by salesman in one of the retail store selling drones.

Last edited:
Shout out here if you're a spark pilot in NSW!

What COLOUR is your spark, and WHERE in NSW do you fly?
Hi there
White Spark, had it 3 days. Loving it. Living in the beautiful Colour City, Orange.
Heading Sydney way over weekend, gonna be hot I hear!
I know Botanical Gardens are out of bounds but hoping I can find some places around Manly beach or Darling harbour etc (low, perhaps just off side over water for some shots), any idea if this is OK?

Hi there
White Spark, had it 3 days. Loving it. Living in the beautiful Colour City, Orange.
Heading Sydney way over weekend, gonna be hot I hear!
I know Botanical Gardens are out of bounds but hoping I can find some places around Manly beach or Darling harbour etc (low, perhaps just off side over water for some shots), any idea if this is OK?
have u tried the SHERE MODE YET done right it is AWESOME

I've hit a couple of, what could only be described as, GeoFences down here in WA as I approached one of the national parks, my Spark simply stopped and wouldnt let me push forward. Therefore the Can I Fly app is useless in that regard as it doesn't show anything to do with national parks on it. I don't need an app to tell me to stay away from airports and stadiums etc. So unless it's going to be a coordinated effort between all government agencies to give us a total inclusive app, I don't find it useful in my location at all.

Last edited:
I've hit a couple of, what could only be described as, GeoFences down here in WA as I approached one of the national parks, my Spark simply stopped and wouldnt let me push forward. Therefore the Can I Fly app is useless in that regard as it doesn't show anything to do with national parks on it. I don't need an app to tell me to stay away from airports and stadiums etc. Good for complete morons I guess. So unless it's going to be a coordinated effort between all government agencies to give us a total inclusive app, I wouldn't waste my time with the download.
I must STRONGLY disagree with your statement that it is 'useless'... There are plenty of areas around here in Sydney where you are not allowed to fly, but without the app I would not know! Such as the flight path zones for airports. I'm not a 'moron' as you seem to be calling me, I just didn't know how far the airport zones stretch, and didn't know that there were so many additional 'no fly' zones. It isn't always obvious, and I don't know where every single airport and restricted zone is.

I would rather at least have SOME information about where I may be able to fly, rather than guessing, and getting into deeper crap.

For instance, I would have never guessed that the North side of Sydney Harbour is all a no fly zone! And that significant parts of the central coast are no fly zones.

The app is absolutely indispensible for me. Sure, it misses out some no fly zones, but it gets the majority!

Reactions: DJ_EYE
I don't think anyone thinks that I was calling you a moron at all, as I wasn't aiming that at anyone personally.

But yes after reviewing your location on the app I stand absolutely corrected and somewhat retract the importance of the app in a major city location, you clearly have some serious restrictions which kind of sucks for trying to find a suitable fly zone.

I'm just lucky to be in a nonrestricted, coastal area I guess.

I'm wondering why they haven't added national parks to the list though, to show up on the map.

I have happily edited my original post.

ENJOY the weekend mate.

Last edited:
Reactions: freppy
I don't think anyone thinks that I was calling you a moron at all. It's the weekend mate, relax, life's too short.
Sorry, must have misunderstood your meaning. I use the app.

I'm saying that the app has much more value than you seem to be giving it, and I'm very thankful that an app like this actually exists. There are plenty of places that I would have thought I could fly, and didn't realise there was a restriction for that area! The app is good for everyone.

I'm very relaxed mate, it's a beautiful weekend here in Sydney, and I'm about to go fly!

~Life is short, but then again, it's the longest thing you will ever do!~

Reactions: DJ_EYE
Have you tried the AIRMAP app?

It's very detailed listing parks, prisons, schools, etc.

20171218_083940.png

THAT is a MUCH better app than the Can I Fly Here app. Awesome find. Thanks mate!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers