Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Obstacle Avoidance Question Please

Whizzn

Join
Dec 2, 2017
Hi All;

In the Go 4 app under Visual Navigation Settings there is a button to turn on/off Obstacle Avoidance. Under that button is a brief description of some of the features of Obstacle Avoidance. The 2nd description says "....Enabling Obstacle Avoidance will automatically enable RTH Obstacle Check...."

I've searched this Great forum and the manual and can not find a description of this feature OR at least one that I recognized as this feature.

Can you Pro's enlighten me please ???

Thanks in advance for your time and help !
Whizzn

"RTH Obstacle Check setting means your drone will check for obstacles during its RTH and if it detects one, then the drone will ascend to avoid it. If you have this setting enabled it means your aircraft will still check even if you have disabled Obstacle Avoidance for the drone."

"One last thing you need to be aware of during the Spark’s RTH is that if it is farther than 100 meters away then the aircraft will return home at a speed of 10m/s and it can’t avoid obstacles. If RTH is used less than 100 meters away, then Obstacle Avoidance will be enabled, and the Spark will avoid obstacles if the lighting conditions are adequate."

Source:
How to use DJI’s Return to Home (RTH) Safely

Reactions: NyJosh
Ahhhh..........that I did read and understand. However, I didn't tie it to the description I quoted !

Thanks a ton Johnny !

Reactions: Johnnynunes
One of the best things about disabling obstacle avoidance is that Spark's speed doubles to 13.X mph.
I like to use obstacle avoidance at low heights and disable obstacle avoidance at medium heights because the additional height requires greater speed, or the video appears too slow. Higher than 125 feet almost requires sport mode. Note that you don't have to max out sport mode. You can throttle up to 20 mph instead of 30. In some video this will matter as at the higher speed the camera will shake. Of course, in sport mode, turning the Spark is out of the question.
Panning/yawing the camera with obstacle avoidance enabled works reasonably well. The greater the speed the less smooth is the pan/yaw

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
Hi Richard !

Thanks ! That is a great technique for maximizing the Spark's talents !

I appreciate your answer and will be using this !

Thanks Again !
Whizzn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast