Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG Cable

Join
Mar 9, 2020
Hi all,

I want to get a OTG cable for my Spark, I can't find it (a genuine cable) in the UK. Dji & Helipal want tons of P&P money. Helipal saying that the only way to send it to me was airmail via DHL at £19.19 postage for a £6 OTG lead!

Does anyone know where in the UK that I can get a genuine OTG lead that will work and not a cheap copy?

Steve

I don't know if Amazon UK shows it, but this is the OTG I got to use between my Spark RC and Samsung Edge 6+ Android phone:

Drone Pit Stop OTG for Spark

Works great. Be advised, the end with the USB symbol plugs into the RC and the unmarked end goes into the phone. Getting it backwards will cause it to act as a charging cable. Good luck.

Reactions: Spark 317
I don't know if Amazon UK shows it, but this is the OTG I got to use between my Spark RC and Samsung Edge 6+ Android phone:

Drone Pit Stop OTG for Spark

Works great. Be advised, the end with the USB symbol plugs into the RC and the unmarked end goes into the phone. Getting it backwards will cause it to act as a charging cable. Good luck.
Thanks for that, sadly it is not listed on Amazon UK and from the USA to UK with taxes and import duty it is nearly £23. Trouble is all seem to come from China with a delivery time in July!

If you are in a pinch and want try the OTG cable, some Android devices used an OTG adapter that came with the device that allowed you to use a regular USB cable.

The adapter would plug into the controller and the regular USB cable would connect to it and then the device.

It may work but it's an extra link in the chain.

I bought both my OTG cables in mobile phone repair shops. Work brilliantly. Try these shops as soon as they open up - they usually have them !

Presume you are after one that plugs into your phone-is it iOS or Android? There seem to be a few on our UK site. How about this one? I am not very tech so possible I have got the wrong end of the stick. Good luck.
Hi,

It is for an Android Huawei P30 Pro phone with the C port. That 10cm looks a little short. I have managed to order one via ebay. Lots were from China quoting delivery in July. Or you pay nearly £20 for airmail.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Reactions: twickers14
Watch out with USB B to USB C cables. I bought 2 and both had the otg on the wrong side. Result: RC was charged by my phone and no connection.
The only solution which worked for me are 2 short cables , an otg usbc to usb a female and a usb male to usb c

I have and used an OTG cable with my Spark though I found lots of connectivity issues. Recently I chatted online with DJI support and they told me Spark is not meant to use an OTG...?!?!? That surprised me... but it seemed to resolve my connectivity problems.
1589638989999.png

Recently I chatted online with DJI support and they told me Spark is not meant to use an OTG...?!?!? That surprised me... but it seemed to resolve my connectivity problems.
I can only shake my head in wonderment when DJI support says this. Support for OTG enabled with Go 4 v4.2.12. They need to update their support script.

OK great. I’ll continue using OTG AND RC...
OR, has that been my problem(?) using them together. I’ve been thinking of it as a back up failsafe.

I have never linked controller to viewing device by wifi, as described by DJI . . .
After aircraft is linked it shows wifi device - controller at 0:55 . . .

To tell you the honest truth, I didn't ever try this, but should in case I ever have a cable problem.

The cable I use is the Thors Drone World Lifthor OTG spiral cable, it stays out of the way if I ever use the phone, but I use iPad mini 4 with lifthor mount, this cable is brilliant, solid and reliable.
I've not seen this sort of cable design combination of spiral and right angle from another supplier.

I occasionally for one battery use the mini 4 in the controller arms too, using the Lifthor cable.

My knowledge of the OTG cable...a brief history. ?

I purchased the Spark in 2017 when it was released and it was advertised as a WiFi drone.

Somebody along the way figured out how to stick an OTG cable into the remote and device for a better connection, like the previous DJI drones on the market.

And then the can of worms opened up.

Supported, not supported, Apple, Droid, yes, no, maybe, depends on model, version, type, etc. and down the rabbit hole you go.

At this point and time, I do believe that DJI has learned from the masses that it does work and supported to work for a better experience on both Droids and Apple.

I was a WiFi Flyer for a long time just for the convenience, but the cable is better overall if I'm somewhere unfamiliar (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc) that may disrupt the WiFi connection.

Last edited:
Come to think of it...I sent the RC in for servicing the USB port was “wobbly”.and I was having C2 problems. I tried a few cables the DJI ones were better...I should look for your suggestion. The few times I had her up since the repair things have been fine.

Here’s my current issue. I learned anything at all about flying with my Spark....then got a Mini...which I could really fly...given its’ limitations. Oh I know the Spark is better....more of a drone...and I can still enjoy to fly her...MUCH to explore...BUT... I’ve been some working on my editing skills...SO I’m wanting to buy an M2P....now that I have my Basic license...and intend to ASAP do a ground school and get my Advanaced to be able and get GOOD shots of some stuff (ideas) that will require SFOC’s...
But thanks...because at least I know to get drone specific accessories for the “build”.
Any advice?

The use of USB micro A by DJI on controllers, when most chargers / cables are USB micro B, is a bit of a pain.
Best to mark side of cable connector that faces you when connecting with a visible dot or something, as most people get damaged controller ports due to incorrect insertion . . . of course overuse can be a problem over time causing normal wear and tear.

that will require SFOC’s

Are you in Canada then ?

Best to mark side of cable connector that faces you when connecting with a visible dot or something, as most people get damaged controller ports due to incorrect insertion . . . of course overuse can be a problem over time causing normal wear and tear.

Here's mine. :)

20180729_182621.jpg

Reactions: SPark_South_Oz
Yes. Toronto. Good tip on dots on cable into USB A.
my problem with the wobbly connector on RC was outta the box. Annoying to receive my problem outta the box and have to figure it out over some months. It was a learning to fly challenge! All resolved now., thanks.

The DJI website list them AND specifically mention for use with a Spark. quote from DJI Store "The OTG cable connects to a Mavic Mini or Spark remote controller via a Micro USB port at one end and connects to an external device via a USB port (USB Type-A port) at the other end to transmit video feedback and control data."

My Fly More came with 3 OTG cables, micro usb to USB, to Micro and to Type C. they do however say that iPhone is not supported. I use apple devices and purchased one from ebay micro to lightning OTG. has worked flawlessly. I'd recommend against buying the cheapest one you can find, that's where all the problem ones start. I paid $18.80 AUD including post thats about 10 GBP

I just tired it today without otg on my iPhone 11. And connected via WiFi just to test a few things and not signal Interruptions and the video feed was smooth and it was 2800ft out In a heavily WiFi congested area (suburban). I will try it some more and see how it is and compare them side by side. Which is something I never did before

Reactions: DamionR

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme