Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG or not to OTG?

I

Inactive

Sooooooooo, my bf just told me I should use an OTG cable wth my new media pad because the girl feedback after getting only about 100 feet away goes all crazy as there is probably about 300 people with wifi around me. So he told me it would improve video quality buying t, I've also heard it can cause my spark to just randomly fly away.

Is it safe to use OTG and if so what precautions can I take to ensure my spark doesn't deside to sign for divorce and tleave me for the sky lol.

To me it is a night and day difference in connection stability. I won't fly freehand without it.

If I'm using waypoints on Litchi OTG is disabled so it doesn't matter either way.

I never fly without one. You get a way better signal from your remote to mobile device than by using WiFi and it's much more consistent.
I 100% agree.
Also I have installed a App on my rooted Samsung Galaxy S8 that's prevent the Smartphone is charging while connected over OTG cable to the controller.

I 100% agree.
Also I have installed a App on my rooted Samsung Galaxy S8 that's prevent the Smartphone is charging while connected over OTG cable to the controller.

I need to look into something like that. I use Moto mods and found that it disables OTG when charging from the battery pack.

Reactions: MarRoh
OTG 100%.
Yeah I'm gonna go with otg because the video glitches out constantly so bad that I get the aircraft disconnected error 14-15 times per flight and the video works only when less than 50 feet away.

Sooooooooo, my bf just told me I should use an OTG cable wth my new media pad because the girl feedback after getting only about 100 feet away goes all crazy as there is probably about 300 people with wifi around me. So he told me it would improve video quality buying t, I've also heard it can cause my spark to just randomly fly away.

Is it safe to use OTG and if so what precautions can I take to ensure my spark doesn't deside to sign for divorce and tleave me for the sky lol.
I also always use otg cable it's safe thx seventh fairy

I always use OTG Cable. More secure, just think if you get any interference with the wifi, your drone can go bye bye. Otg you won't have an issue. [emoji2] 20180903_162920.jpg

Reactions: Davenwolf
It's as well for us Android users are phones won't let us use the 5ghz band like on Apple so the link from controller to the A.c is always stuck in the 5ghz band so it can't swap. That's why we get rubbish range

And with that WiFi link gone the video downlink is smoother for us in the UK and other countries that can't use that 5ghz.

Wired has always been so much better anyway for me. Always use otg.

Reactions: Inactive
It's as well for us Android users are phones won't let us use the 5ghz band like on Apple so the link from controller to the A.c is always stuck in the 5ghz band so it can't swap. That's why we get rubbish range
I'm on Android, wait, so we get garbage rage because of Android op. That's like uuuum, how to say, ok so I can't say racist against Android, uuum. Yeah that's not right or fair lol. So I can't ever get the whole 1.2 mile deal on Android?
If only I could prove it's impossible on Android I'd sue for false advertising lol.

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
To be clear:

- spark with controller and device, use TWO WiFi connections. One between spark-controller, and one between controller-device.
- for these two connections, two different bands are used: 2.4 and 5.8. One for ac-rc and the other for RC-Device.
- so, if we use 2.4 for ac-rc connection, 5.8 is used for RC-Device connection, and vice versa.
- it's obvious that RC-Device connection, is very difficult to disconnect, because controller and smartphone are almost in touch. THIS is the connection, otg replaces, and not the connection between spark and controller (which disconnects frequently).
- so, otg helps when connection between spark and controller is in 2.4, AND our smartphone doesn't support 5.8.
- some users report that using otg cable helps in image lag, but I didn't notice that.

After all the above, my experience with otg:
- in my territory, spark choose automatically always 5.8 for ac-rc communication. I suppose 5.8 is more "clean" than 2.4. Been in CE country, 5.8 range is terrible. So, used to switch manually to 2.4, and because my android had no support for 5.8 (rc's WiFi disappears) I used otg cable.
- after using forced FCC mode, range even in 5.8 is very good, so I stopped using otg cable, because wireless connection between rc-smartphone is easier, quicker, and more safe for controller and phone.

No need to write a full page to come to this kind of misleading conclusion.
A LOT of posts DO mention problems with wireless in video feedback lagging and poor quality of image on device, which are FIXED when using otg. (Whatever frequency, FCCmode, in or outside CE, long distance or short distance flights...).
Moreover, since last go4 update, otg is very convenient and easy to use (to plug in when your phone is in place takes maybe 5 to 10 sec and app is launched automatically)
Until something changes in future firmware, otg is still the safest.

Reactions: Dezskillz
It's not a misleading conclusion, it's MY conclusion, which may help other users.

And sorry for the page, but people in here must know how this works, because many users think that just using an otg cable, they will solve poor range and disconnection problems.

Reactions: JoostGT3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmizzoni