Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG or Wi-Fi

Malc

Join
Jan 1, 2019
OTG or Wi-Fi, anyone have any preference? I noticed when setting up my new (replacement) Spark that for some reason I lost OTG connection and the wi-fi failed to reconnect. I was only bench testing but it did worry me.

OTG or Wi-Fi, anyone have any preference? I noticed when setting up my new (replacement) Spark that for some reason I lost OTG connection and the wi-fi failed to reconnect.

Many threads on this topic which ultimately have reached the same conclusions:

1 OTG and WiFi now both work well for most users (outdated posts based on older firmware will say otherwise so ignore those)
2. If you have no problem with signal loss on WiFi then keep it simple without an OTG cable.
3. If signal is erratic try OTG cable and you may see big improvement

If your WiFi failed to connect when OTG cable removed you may need to re-pair in the phone's WiFi settings. I don't think the Spark remote can auto switch during flight to WiFi with cable connected (?) as you were expecting.

OTG works for me when using my iphone (iphone 7 plus software up to date) but it does disconnect randomly. When it disconnects it will never reconnect which is frustrating. Also when that happens and i have tried to switch back to wifi it will tell me my password is wrong. Now i am new to all this only had my spark a few weeks now but when i downloaded the DJI assistant 2 and I look at the latest firmware which is what i have on my spark it says OTG support for android and no mention of IOS. So I am not sure if it is not officially supported for IOS and maybe I should just get a dedicated Android device to use when flying OTG.

Are you using IOS or Android?

Reactions: Andre Levite
btw i did get my cable from Drone Valley so maybe its my cable? Is there a specific brand that should be used with IOS and with Android?

btw i did get my cable from Drone Valley so maybe its my cable? Is there a specific brand that should be used with IOS and with Android?

Any cable can suffer internal damage with a single bend or kink. It will look fine from the outside. Trying a different cable will help.

Drone Valley is a really good source (great YouTube channel as well). OTG cables aren't "branded" per se. I don't think any manufacturers sell direct to customer and most third-party sellers will get from different sources and put their own name on it. I got so of mine thru RC Geeks on Amazon and no problems.

Not all USB cables will function as OTG. OTG is a subset of USB cable with additional functionality. Make sure it says OTG specifically.

Some users have damaged the micro USB port on RC causing loose connection. That can cause intermittent signal loss and really hard to fix.

Thank you. I only used it 3 times and I just got it last week so its brand new. It is a real OTG cable or I feel they wouldn't see it I see them as a trusted source. It does have the mini usb to standard usb adapter on it and I feel that is a point of failure. Maybe I should try another brand.
And yes I agree they are a good YouTube channel as well.

I will check the other retailers you mentioned any specific links or brands you recommend? Also are you using OTG with IOS or Android?

Reactions: Andre Levite
Thank you. I only used it 3 times and I just got it last week so its brand new. It is a real OTG cable or I feel they wouldn't see it I see them as a trusted source. It does have the mini usb to standard usb adapter on it and I feel that is a point of failure. Maybe I should try another brand.
And yes I agree they are a good YouTube channel as well.

I will check the other retailers you mentioned any specific links or brands you recommend? Also are you using OTG with IOS or Android?

I am using iOS 12 on iPhone X.

I got all my OTG on Amazon from RCgeeks

Thank you i will give it a shot. Also is the order everything is turned on and connected important as well or that does not matter ? I have seen posts about it just not sure.

Thank you again

Thank you i will give it a shot. Also is the order everything is turned on and connected important as well or that does not matter ? I have seen posts about it just not sure.

Thank you again

The order of device connection no longer matters. The posts that say otherwise are outdated

[iOS 12 on iPhone X]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast