Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Phones that use 5.8 GHz

Gavieboydgi

Premium Pilot
Join
Mar 3, 2018
I've done this section for people to add which phones they use that can use the 5.8ghz.
My European Samsung galaxy S8 Exonos version is absolutely rubbish with the spark.

I know Snapdragon Samsung versions are brilliant with the spark, I want to know what other Android devices are great that us European countries can buy that use both WiFi bands

I've done this section for people.....
My European Samsung galaxy S8 Exonos version is absolutely rubbish with the spark...
Hi
Care to descibe the rubbish part?

If my memory serves me right, everything regarding communication and standards is ISP stuff.
In plain english: when you insert a sim card, your device is being put in a state which comply to the national/region standards and laws.
Yes, 5.8 Ghz suck in Europe and everybody has the same experience regardless of Android model or maker..
(The IOS/Apple stuff is another ballgame)

Myselves? I try to avoid 5.8 at any cost!
I go with FCC, OTG and manually channel. I've been running ch11 for almost a year, even in non-rural areas.

I'm a happy european Note8 pilot..

Hi

If my memory serves me right, everything regarding communication and standards is ISP stuff.
In plain english: when you insert a sim card, your device is being put in a state which comply to the national/region standards and laws.
Yes, 5.8 Ghz suck in Europe and everybody has the same experience regardless of Android model or maker..

I go with FCC, OTG and manually channel. I've been running ch11 for almost a year, even in non-rural areas.

Even with otg my spark when I try to put the RC to ac into 2.4 it's un-usable.

Why can't my Samsung s8 use 5.8 GHz for the video feed?

Hi

I'm using FCC otg but my spark will never let me use the 2.4 GHz band.

Sorry for this raw and rough screen recording..here we go!

Remember custom band/channel jump is not really reliable over OTG.
Set manual channel over wifi.
When you go OTG, your channel will be the choosen one.

Last edited:
Sorry for this raw and rough screen recording..here we go!

Remember custom band/channel jump is not really reliable over OTG.
Set manual channel over wifi.
When you go OTG, your channel will be the choosen one.
So you switch to 2.4 when using WiFi then connect the otg when it's chosen 2.4 and disconnect the WiFi from remote.

So you switch to 2.4 when using WiFi then connect the otg when it's chosen 2.4 and disconnect the WiFi from remote.
After change, I power everything down including app.
Then proceed with my normal OTG procedure setup...
I do not normally enter Airplane mode, I simply ignore wifi on my device.. as it's cabled connection is rock solid and never fail.

I do not know the origin or source for this, but it kind of explain why 5.8 Ghz suck in CE region...hence the need of FCC.

drone_wifi_channels_countries_l.jpg

Its sad...sure

This is becoming muddy again.... Is this lament about 5G relevant to people who use a Remote Controller? Because your phone connects to your Remote Controller, which connects to the Spark. This first connection should not be a problem as both devices are in close proximity. The connection between RC and Spark is more of a problem. In Europe, as Haggi shows, the transmitting power of the RC is reduced so the range is much less.

This is becoming muddy again....
Indeed!
This subject has been debated many times, and I'm not an engineer in this field..

Lets start with Spark specs:

2017-014.jpg

Now, check CE dBm vs FCC dBm.
Spark's RC has an output of ca 400 mW in 2.4 band and ca 630 mW in 5.8 band..
When fabricating products which is WIFI operated, by law and regulations you are bound to certain bands (2.4/5.8) and channels (frequencies).
Equipment will never be certified for use or sale without lab tests etc..
Well, CE say 400 mW and/or (whichever limit is reached) 18 dBm in 2.4 band and 14 dBm in 5.8 band.. while FCC will do 26-28 dBm.. you get the point.

To complicate the muddy puddle some more..

The frequencies/channels in the 5.8 band is basically forbidden in CE region, and these regulations is set by sales region and sim card.
DJI obviously made a compromise and lowered 5.8 band output to indoor levels.
This is why CE pilots must avoid any 5.8 band connections at all cost. Their device to RC connection will grab 2.4 band over Wifi, which leaves 5.8 band to RC/AC connection. We're talking Auto configuration regarding this..

When Android users switch to OTG, its another story.
2.4 band/channels is now free for use by the RC/AC connection.
In combination with FCC "hack" this will be your best and most stable connection.
Unless you are in an overpopulated 2.4 Ghz (home networks) area..

Apple devices?
Apple doesn't give a ****.
Same output in all regions..in both bands.
They do not allow sim card access to the wifi "radio"..
That's why Apple devices will be recommended by everyone.
It just work..

I wonder how many pallets of devices Apple shipped to the governments 10 years ago.

Interesting discussion.. Can someone explain what happens when in FCC mode with an RC <-> OTG cable and android device?

I assume:

1) WiFi is disabled for comms between RC and smartphone
2) There is some proprietary RF comms between the RC and the AC either on 2.4 or 5.8Ghz?
3) This RC <-> AC comms carries video feed, logging/telemetry and controller commands?
4) The video feed from AC is sent to the RC using on same RF feed and RC in turn passes this to phone?

Is this correct?

I think Spark was never intended to be OTG compatible.

It's an option to connect bigger Dji drones to Crystalsky monitor.
Bigger and more expensive Dji drones has an OTG cable in the box, ready for Crystalsky.

The fact that Spark could use an OTG between device-RC, was discovered by drone pilots shortly after Spark release
Lucky us :)

Spark was intended to use otg cable, only with Goggles.

Other drones, like Mavics, don't use otg cables, but normal data cables.

The cables that are included in other drones, usually are simple charge - data cables, used for charging controller, or connect everything to a pc, or connect RC to any device (not only crystalsky).

Otg adapter was included only in my spark - goggles combo.

Reactions: Haggi
Spark was intended to use otg cable, only with Goggles.

Other drones, like Mavics, don't use otg cables, but normal data cables.

The cables that are included in other drones, usually are simple charge - data cables, used for charging controller, or connect everything to a pc, or connect RC to any device (not only crystalsky).

Otg adapter was included only in my spark - goggles combo.
Ohhh, thank you for correcting me!

Ohhh, thank you for correcting me!
Thank you for being so gentle!

I didn't indent to correct you, but to share my experience, as I have bought some Dji's drones so far, and I have used some equipment (cables including).

Knowledge from experienced pilots is gold :)

Okay, back to topic..

Message to OP, to my knowledge, there is no Android device which will operate flawless in 5.8 Ghz band in CE region.
Because regulations regarding sale region, device software and simcard.

If there exist such device, I want to know too :)

Knowledge from experienced pilots is gold :)

Okay, back to topic..

Message to OP, to my knowledge, there is no Android device which will operate flawless in 5.8 Ghz band in CE region.
Because regulations regarding sale region, device software and simcard.

If there exist such device, I want to know too :)
Can you not import a phone from other markets that use the 5.8 GHz band.
It always gets me is why Apple iPhones are allowed to use the 5.8 GHz band in CE regions.

I just did this post to find out which Android devices that use 5.8, I'm sure I use to have a Motorola droid phone that did.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme