Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Please help! Spark cooling fan turns on for a few seconds when USB charger is connected?

SparkOwner

Join
Feb 10, 2018
*EDIT* sorry for any confusion guys, I will clear this up now...

Its NOT the fan I hear when the drone is cold. When the drone has been flew and I then go ahead and recharge the battery via USB as I plug in the USB I (THEN) hear the fan for a second then it shuts off.

So just to clear confusion and make it clear to understand:

The drone now has been sitting over night with 40% charge. If I plug in the USB via the drone now (while the Spark is cold or has not been flown) I do NOT hear the fan for that split second like I do when its warm or has been flown and I charge it just after its been flown)

Now, I do hear a slight power sequence as I plug in the USB to charge the Spark when its cold but its not the fan.

Now, if the Spark is warm from a flight or the Spark has been sitting charging for 5-10mins via USB and I THEN take it off the USB charger and put it BACK on the charger via USB right away (in a split second) the FAN boots up for a second and then charges normally.

So, when its cold and I charge it via USB (no fan but a slight sequence as power hits main board).

When WARM or Spark has been charging for 5 mins I turn the charger OFF and ON again AFTER its Warm OR has been charging for 5 mins - fan boots up for 1 second and shuts off continues to charge normally

Again, I have explained this as best I could.

If anyone has experienced this or know. Please comment.

Last edited:
Mine doesn’t do that. When I plug in, it doesn’t do anything for a second, then the battery light comes on going from left to right showing it’s charging. Once charged, the battery lights go off, but no cooling fans come on. You’re all updated on the firmware, right? Short of that you might give Dji a call for guidance.

Mine doesn’t do that. When I plug in, it doesn’t do anything for a second, then the battery light comes on going from left to right showing it’s charging. Once charged, the battery lights go off, but no cooling fans come on. You’re all updated on the firmware, right? Short of that you might give Dji a call for guidance.

Just found a post from another forum where a mod says the following: see screen shot:593F0A2A-AED6-43D1-98B0-CFAFCA7A3CC5.jpeg

Ok. Thought maybe I missed something so just now, powered on Sparky to run the battery down some, plugged in Sparky to USB outlet in wall...battery started charging, NO fan. Unplugged and then plugged Sparky into USB coming from the Dji charger brick...battery started charging, NO fan. Don’t know what the difference is. Maybe the battery has to be more discharged or battery disconnected and reconnected? Don’t know but no fans here.

Ok. Thought maybe I missed something so just now, powered on Sparky to run the battery down some, plugged in Sparky to USB outlet in wall...battery started charging, NO fan. Unplugged and then plugged Sparky into USB coming from the Dji charger brick...battery started charging, NO fan. Don’t know what the difference is. Maybe the battery has to be more discharged or battery disconnected and reconnected? Don’t know but no fans here.

Did you do this from power off? Plug in the wall charger switch IT on (drone off) plug it into your spark and as the USB connector clicks in, the fan starts for one second AS I plug in the USB coming from the wall outlet (spark off).

Strange

Yes, mine did this around 29-35% battery. I noticed it when I went to recharge it after a flight to store it up to around 45% then put my drone away.

Btw, my battery starts charging as normal, it happens quick and you have to listen or you will miss the fan boot up JUST as you plug in that USB cable.

I dont know man, I need more input on this.

Did you do this from power off? Plug in the wall charger switch IT on (drone off) plug it into your spark and as the USB connector clicks in, the fan starts for one second AS I plug in the USB coming from the wall outlet (spark off).

Strange

Yes, Sparky totally off and plug the USB in, then let it do its thing.

Yes, mine did this around 29-35% battery. I noticed it when I went to recharge it after a flight to store it up to around 45% then put my drone away.

Btw, my battery starts charging as normal, it happens quick and you have to listen or you will miss the fan boot up JUST as you plug in that USB cable.

I dont know man, I need more input on this.

I’ll have to take note when my battery gets lower next time. If I can remember, I’ll post again my results. Right now, central ILLINOIS is freezing rain/snow so hard to fly. Got a couple warm days upcoming if the wind stays down. Hating winter time. Bleh!

Hi everyone I’m new here. So I have posted this in help and discussions.

Could anyone here help me please and or confirm? Today I noticed that when I plug the DJI charger into my Spark’s USB port to charge the battery the Sparks cooling fan turns on for a few seconds then turns off and continues to charge as normal - Is this NORMAL?

Has anyone else noticed this when charging their Spark via USB?

It’s bugging me and I cant find any info or anyone mention this.

Please respond

Thanks so much
I had the exact problem. In fact it was worse because I was also getting a red light battery error. Cleaning the 4 gold battery contacts on the bottom of the battery with alcohol fixed everything. Hope this works for you too.

BobfromNYC - I'm guessing your using the DJI charging station? As that's the only charging system that uses the bottom contacts of the battery. Not related to people are talking about here. To the OP the fan will turn on some fans are louder then others.

Hi everyone I’m new here. So I have posted this in help and discussions.

Could anyone here help me please and or confirm? Today I noticed that when I plug the DJI charger into my Spark’s USB port to charge the battery the Sparks cooling fan turns on for a few seconds then turns off and continues to charge as normal - Is this NORMAL?

Has anyone else noticed this when charging their Spark via USB?

It’s bugging me and I cant find any info or anyone mention this.

Please respond

Thanks so much
It is normal. Same happens to me. If I turn Spark on, the fan does continually run. If I connect the Spark while it is off, I can hear fan for a few seconds and then shuts down.

No issues.

Reactions: SparkOwner
I had the exact problem. In fact it was worse because I was also getting a red light battery error. Cleaning the 4 gold battery contacts on the bottom of the battery with alcohol fixed everything. Hope this works for you too.
its not a problem, it was something I noticed.

I dont have the charge dock or external charger only the factory one that ships with the spark as I only have one battery and I dont want to wear the battery clips away keep swapping batteries.

*EDIT* sorry for any confusion guys, I will clear this up now...

Its NOT the fan I hear when the drone is cold. When the drone has been flew and I then go ahead and recharge the battery via USB as I plug in the USB I (THEN) hear the fan for a second then it shuts off.

So just to clear confusion and make it clear to understand:

The drone now has been sitting over night with 40% charge. If I plug in the USB via the drone now (while the Spark is cold or has not been flown) I do NOT hear the fan for that split second like I do when its warm or has been flown and I charge it just after its been flown)

Now, I do hear a slight power sequence as I plug in the USB to charge the Spark when its cold but its not the fan.

Now, if the Spark is warm from a flight or the Spark has been sitting charging for 5-10mins via USB and I THEN take it off the USB charger and put it BACK on the charger via USB right away (in a split second) the FAN boots up for a second and then charges normally.

So, when its cold and I charge it via USB (no fan but a slight sequence as power hits main board).

When WARM or Spark has been charging for 5 mins I turn the charger OFF and ON again AFTER its Warm OR has been charging for 5 mins - fan boots up for 1 second and shuts off continues to charge normally

Again, I have explained this as best I could.

Last edited:
As much as I went on about this not happening to me, I placed my Sparky in its portable charging station yesterday and the fan did turn on for a second or two. First time I’ve experienced it. Thought I’d report back, but I’m not overly concerned, because I know electronic devices all run on smoke. Once you let the smoke out, they stop running. [emoji849][emoji16]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef