Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Practicing ATTI mode

Casey Sloan

Join
Dec 21, 2018
I recently had a compass-error message that scared the hell out of me on my relatively new Spark. Never had an issue previously. I've been reading a lot about this on youtube and am curious - is there any way to force the spark into atti mode to practice this in preparation for a real emergency?

In watching that video, I get the idea that ATTI mode is really no different than Sport mode. But that does look like a good idea to set the controller and the Spark up in that fashion.

Also, as I have yet to experience this IMU/Compass error situation during flight, I am curious to know if you lose all of the telemetry readings on the device screen. Obviously, the compass arrow will no longer be of use but knowing the altitude and other things would still be important.

In watching that video, I get the idea that ATTI mode is really no different than Sport mode. But that does look like a good idea to set the controller and the Spark up in that fashion.

Also, as I have yet to experience this IMU/Compass error situation during flight, I am curious to know if you lose all of the telemetry readings on the device screen. Obviously, the compass arrow will no longer be of use but knowing the altitude and other things would still be important.
Spot mode is WAY different than atti- you still have gps working for you. The only time I had a compass error I was so panicked I didn’t notice other elements I immediately hit RTH and got lucky that it still worked

But it seems that if you have lost GPS and compass functions then Sport mode is no different than ATTI mode.

You don’t lose GPS or compass in sport mode. The guy in the video modified his controller and no longer has sport mode.he modified it to practice fling in Atti mode, which is what I was looking to do. Make sense?

You don’t lose GPS or compass in sport mode. The guy in the video modified his controller and no longer has sport mode.he modified it to practice fling in Atti mode, which is what I was looking to do. Make sense?
Yes it does and I understood that part of the video however, like I was saying, if someone has this dreaded Compass/IMU error while in flight, then they also have lost GPS and therefore, Sport mode has also lost GPS and would then be functioning similar to ATTI mode at the time of GPS loss. Or at least, that is the way I see it.

Yes it does and I understood that part of the video however, like I was saying, if someone has this dreaded Compass/IMU error while in flight, then they also have lost GPS and therefore, Sport mode has also lost GPS and would then be functioning similar to ATTI mode at the time of GPS loss. Or at least, that is the way I see it.

Yes. No GPS in ether mode will result in Atti-mode flying.

...he modified it to practice fling in Atti mode...

It would be nice to be able to incorporate some "wind" in the Go4 simulator to practice Atti-mode virtual flying.

I know it won't be the same as real time practice but you might be able to get a sense of drift and orientation without risk to the Spark.

I have a cheap non GPS drone the same size of the Spark I occasionally fly for practice.

I have also not experienced this yet but based on my knowledge of the Spark system, I think you will continue to get the altitude data. "Atti mode" means altitude stabilisation. In other words, the Spark uses the altimeter data and bottom sensors data to maintain its altitude in this mode. But since there is no GPS reception, it doesn't know its position and may drift with the wind. I am however not sure if the compass will also stop working in Atti mode. It is an independent system and loss of GPS should only not update the position of the AC on the map. The orientation of the AC should get updated in my opinion. Also you will continue to have the live view from the camera which I think will be of great help if you are familiar with the surroundings.

Last edited:
I have also not experienced this yet but based on my knowledge of the Spark system, I think you will continue to get the altitude data. "Atti mode" means altitude stabilisation. In other words, the Spark uses the altimeter data and bottom sensors data to maintain its altitude in this mode. But since there is no GPS reception, it doesn't know its position and may drift with the wind. I am however not sure if the compass will also stop working in Atti mode. It is an independent system and loss of GPS should only not update the position of the AC on the map. The orientation of the AC should get updated in my opinion. Also you will continue to have the live view from the camera which I think will be of great help if you are familiar with the surroundings.
From what I have experienced in atti mode the spark moves very fast and if your around any trees there isn't much time to be looking at the screen. also the forward or sideways drag will head the spark in a downward angle. I have read that a little toy drone without GPS is a good way to learn how to fly in atti mode.

From what I have experienced in atti mode the spark moves very fast and if your around any trees there isn't much time to be looking at the screen. also the forward or sideways drag will head the spark in a downward angle.

I agree with this. I think the best we can do is throttle down and lose altitude as quickly as possible. Pointing the gimbal straight down would help us see the ground below and find a safe place to land. I will never attempt to fly-back to "home point" if I am stuck in Atti mode.

Reactions: tmarez
Atti mode is way different from Sport mode as the guys said. I keep loosing gps amlnd gyro, almost in every flight and i dont think is normal, but there nothing i can do for now...
Last night flight got atti just hovering above water with nothing around the drone. Got magnetig interference, lost gps...but my signal level was good and i brought it back. Without gps spark has no speed limit... it came back at 57 km/hr. And would go faster but gps signal came back and spark was stable and "slow"again.
My tip is NEVER PUSH THE RTH BUTTON in atti mode. You dont know where spark thinks home is. Try to fly manual.

PS. You can simulate Atti mode through hacked assistand 2 by changing drines parameters. And also assign it in sport mode to experiment and train in safe enviroment.vlcsnap-2019-02-27-12h23m48s021.jpegScreenshot_20190228-154142.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190228-154132.jpeg
    Screenshot_20190228-154132.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: alexsar and tmarez
Seems to me that a firmware update is needed in that the RTH button should be disabled while in ATTI mode. That would probably save a lot of flyaways for a lot of pilots.

Reactions: Stathis_K.
For what it's worth I think the camera is your best friend in Atti mode.it will tell you the way home as I find working out orientation if Spark is a little way away difficult.

Reactions: graywoulf
For what it's worth I think the camera is your best friend in Atti mode.it will tell you the way home as I find working out orientation if Spark is a little way away difficult.
I agree. That is why I don't try any of these distance flights as of yet. Maybe one day. :rolleyes: :)

You lose horizontal position hold when you fly in ATTI mode. This doesnt come into play until no right stick input (mode2) when AC hovers. Flying in ATTI when moving will feel like sport until you hover or break. No horizontal position hold means AC will not hover in place nor will it have assisted breaking. These are what you will be practicing when you want to practice in ATTI mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502