Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

PSA: Video Gesture Only Responds Up Close...You Have Been Warned

continuecrushing

Join
Jun 15, 2017
Wow, so we've all been waiting for video gesture control, and we finally have it! I went out yesterday to try it out, and failed (video below) and could not figure out what the heck.

Well it turns out, that although the app says 23 feet, the manual says 6 feet! What the heck again! So much for "tips" on the screen while flying.

After firing up the drone in my house, I was able to get video gesture control to work.

Hopefully we'll see an update soon that enables video gesture from further away (all the other gestures worked great at 15ish feet) but otherwise, be up in the Sparks face when starting a video!

Here is video gesture control working:

Here is a fail video of the Spark NOT doing video gesture control, even though I was doing everything right according to the app.

Well, I guess we're just getting picky now. Launch, start video, and go. Doesn't seem that hard.

Well, I guess we're just getting picky now. Launch, start video, and go. Doesn't seem that hard.

No, it wouldn't be that hard to make it so video gesture control works at 15 feet, when all the other gesture modes do just fine at that distance. Plus, the app even says you need to be within 23 feet of the spark for it to work, yet the distance is actually only 6 feet? I don't feel like that is being "picky." It wouldn't have been difficult if they had accurate information (well, consistent information at least). I found other people having the same issue as me, and unfortunately went through two dang batteries lol, and still couldn't get it to work. Just trying to save others the same frustration I had!

I'm sure over time everything will be smoothed out...just part of the development curve with a new product!

So once it's recording from the gesture, if I waved it back, would it keep recording in active track?

Interesting I couldn't get the video recording to go. Now I see why in your video and another one I watched. It seems you have to do the video record when it is close to you meaning, I "waved" it away. It refused to turn on the video recording. It would take snapshots but no video. I notice in your video and in the other one I watched you DON'T wave it away. It has to be close to you for the recording to start.. I'll try it tomorrow...

Any word on the test? If I start the video recording in gesture mode and wave it away after I give it the command, will it start active tracking and keep recording?

Yes, it will. I tested it this morning. Just make sure you see the visual queues with the lights and/or hear the sounds... I then recall the Spark and terminate the video recording the same way...

I tried again sending it away and trying the video gestures and it wouldn't work... So do it up close and edit your video later if you choose to.

Any word on the test? If I start the video recording in gesture mode and wave it away after I give it the command, will it start active tracking and keep recording?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex