Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Questions before buying

redsox93

Join
May 23, 2018
Loc
Toronto, Ontario
Hi guys,

So I'm 95% sure that I'm going to invest in a spark. I was originally set on the air, but I'm looking to get a quad that's a bit more inconspicuous, and looks a little more like a toy than something people are going to look up at and get mad about because 'its filming them'.

I have a few peace of mind questions to ask before doing so.

First and foremost, is this a good time to invest in a spark? Or should I be holding out for a potential spark 2? I've heard people say that the MA is the unofficial spark 2, but at more than double the price, and having a camera that I largely won't make use of, it doesn't seem worth it to me.

1) Before purchasing is there anything I absolutely need to know?
2) Is dji care worth it?
3) In reality/practicality, what is the range I'm going to get on this quad? I read in the "before you purchase thread" that people looking for distance shouldn't buy this quad. What exactly does this mean? I'm coming from a hubsan x4 and syma x5sw...so as long as I can get 3-4x the distance as these quads I'll be happy. I'm not the type of person that's looking to fly a km + away and risk losing my quad.
4) Are there any must have accessories that I should look into?
5) Is the battery popping out actually an issue? It seems crazy that DJI hasn't fixed this design error, and is a battery clip actually necessary?
6) I've read a lot about wifi connection issues, and the quad disconnecting. This is literally my biggest nightmare. Can you trust the features on the quad to actually keep it safe in these scenarios? This thread Lost my Spark. Disconnected/Fly Away is what keeps me awake at night...what went wrong here? How do you avoid this? And what do you do in this scenario?
7) Autopilot or litchi or both? Pros/cons of each?
8) Eventually when I get the hang of flying this thing, I want to use it to active track me while water skiing...does everyone think the spark is capable of this? Whats the best way to do something like this? Launch it from shore and set RTH to shore? Launch it from the boat? I need advice for this.
9) **A question for my fellow Canadian flyers: When (if) the newly proposed drone laws come into effect, the spark will be required to have liability insurance purchased for it in order to fly legally. Are most people going to abide by this? Seems so ridiculous to me to have such a small quad

This is all I can think of for now, but I know more questions will pop into my head.

When replying I would appreciate if you could number your answer based on the number I set for the question, so it's easy to see what question you're answering.

**inb4 someone tells me to read the manual, or these forums...if you don't want to answer my questions just move on. Thanks.

Last edited:
5) if you are purchasing new, IE new batteries with improved clips, you probably don’t need an attachment. This is only an issue with first generation batteries. ( never buy the A model of anything :)

Reactions: Sp@rkyPilot55
Will someone explain this OTG cable to me? Half the posts I read say don't use it, it's useless...the other half of the posts I read it seems like the only way someone is able to fly the spark is with the OTG...if it matters, I'm using an iPhone 7 on the latest iOS

Will someone explain this OTG cable to me? Half the posts I read say don't use it, it's useless...the other half of the posts I read it seems like the only way someone is able to fly the spark is with the OTG...if it matters, I'm using an iPhone 7 on the latest iOS

In my opinion, get the cable - I also have a iPhone7 and it works much better with OTG...

Print this:

I stole this from another thread, but this has worked perfectly for me every time. Spark with remote, iPhone 7 and OTG cable.

1. Power on Remote Control
2. Power on Spark
3. Let them Connect.
4. Put iPhone into Airplane Mode
5. Start the DJI app (Device Disconnected Screen)
6. Plug OTG cable into iPhone first
7. Plug Cable into Remote Control
8. Say OK to Device Warning
9. Take off!

Reactions: Fiete
In my opinion, get the cable - I also have a iPhone7 and it works much better with OTG...

Print this:

I stole this from another thread, but this has worked perfectly for me every time. Spark with remote, iPhone 7 and OTG cable.

1. Power on Remote Control
2. Power on Spark
3. Let them Connect.
4. Put iPhone into Airplane Mode
5. Start the DJI app (Device Disconnected Screen)
6. Plug OTG cable into iPhone first
7. Plug Cable into Remote Control
8. Say OK to Device Warning
9. Take off!
Wheres the best place to buy this cable? And what exactly is it? I still don't understand the purpose of it besides for some people it works and some people it doesn't

I still don't understand the purpose of it besides for some people it works and some people it doesn't

From what I understand, it was an accident that somebody stumbled upon as DJI never officially approved the use of the cable due to Apple having an issue with license(s).

The cable is a direct connection to your device, eliminating the use of WiFi to connect which may help in the lack of video lag when flying in a WiFi congested area.

From what I understand, it was an accident that somebody stumbled upon as DJI never officially approved the use of the cable due to Apple having an issue with license(s).

The cable is a direct connection to your device, eliminating the use of WiFi to connect which may help in the lack of video lag when flying in a WiFi congested area.

When you say direct connection you're talking from the phone to the controller obviously...how does this affect the signal strength of the drone which could still be several hundred meters out? Does using the cord void any type of warranty?

I'm not sure if it will void any warranty, but the use of it may have poor results on certain devices, Android in particular.

It always seemed to work with Apple products and Android, but DJI started the firmware updates and the function (telementry, height, distance, etc.) of the cable dwindled away for Android.

But it may work now????
Touchy subject this cable and devices.

As far as range is concerned, no it does not help as the signal is from the antennas of the remote to the craft.

Parabolic reflectors work well for range.

Right, so is this cable simply enhancing the connection from the controller to the phone? It seems iPhone users have no issues, so is the cable necessary for us?

Not really, in my use of it with my mini4.

I stopped using it because it seemed like past updates improved the WiFi connection?

Plus I didn't want to take a chance on damaging the connection on the controller with repeated use or snagging the cable on something, breaking it and not being able to charge the controller.

I'm not sure if it will void any warranty, but the use of it may have poor results on certain devices, Android in particular.

It always seemed to work with Apple products and Android, but DJI started the firmware updates and the function (telementry, height, distance, etc.) of the cable dwindled away for Android.

But it may work now????
Touchy subject this cable and devices.

As far as range is concerned, no it does not help as the signal is from the antennas of the remote to the craft.

Parabolic reflectors work well for range.
No it dosent work better then after the firmware update with android. The DJI support dept. even told me not tu use it !

(8) I don’t think you will be able to film yourself waterskiing in tracking mode. 50kph or 30mph is the sparks top speed in sport mode. Tracking mode is about half this speed. Launching from the boat will set the RTH point in the lake. Opps!
I have thought about sitting in a 2nd boat that chases the ski- boat driving my spark in sport mode, to get skiing footage. I would need an observer to watch for hazards (trees, birds, etc), so I can concentrate on where the camera is looking.

Reactions: ZPFunk and azswift
Hi guys,

So I'm 95% sure that I'm going to invest in a spark. I was originally set on the air, but I'm looking to get a quad that's a bit more inconspicuous, and looks a little more like a toy than something people are going to look up at and get mad about because 'its filming them'.

I have a few peace of mind questions to ask before doing so.

First and foremost, is this a good time to invest in a spark? Or should I be holding out for a potential spark 2? I've heard people say that the MA is the unofficial spark 2, but at more than double the price, and having a camera that I largely won't make use of, it doesn't seem worth it to me.

1) Before purchasing is there anything I absolutely need to know?
2) Is dji care worth it?
3) In reality/practicality, what is the range I'm going to get on this quad? I read in the "before you purchase thread" that people looking for distance shouldn't buy this quad. What exactly does this mean? I'm coming from a hubsan x4 and syma x5sw...so as long as I can get 3-4x the distance as these quads I'll be happy. I'm not the type of person that's looking to fly a km + away and risk losing my quad.
4) Are there any must have accessories that I should look into?
5) Is the battery popping out actually an issue? It seems crazy that DJI hasn't fixed this design error, and is a battery clip actually necessary?
6) I've read a lot about wifi connection issues, and the quad disconnecting. This is literally my biggest nightmare. Can you trust the features on the quad to actually keep it safe in these scenarios? This thread Lost my Spark. Disconnected/Fly Away is what keeps me awake at night...what went wrong here? How do you avoid this? And what do you do in this scenario?
7) Autopilot or litchi or both? Pros/cons of each?
8) Eventually when I get the hang of flying this thing, I want to use it to active track me while water skiing...does everyone think the spark is capable of this? Whats the best way to do something like this? Launch it from shore and set RTH to shore? Launch it from the boat? I need advice for this.
9) **A question for my fellow Canadian flyers: When (if) the newly proposed drone laws come into effect, the spark will be required to have liability insurance purchased for it in order to fly legally. Are most people going to abide by this? Seems so ridiculous to me to have such a small quad

This is all I can think of for now, but I know more questions will pop into my head.

When replying I would appreciate if you could number your answer based on the number I set for the question, so it's easy to see what question you're answering.

**inb4 someone tells me to read the manual, or these forums...if you don't want to answer my questions just move on. Thanks.

2) I think so. I have the Care refresh on my Spark.
3)The rules in Canada currently are VLOS so you should be fine. I never fly my Spark farther than I can see it so I have not tested its range limits since I would not be able to see it.
4)I have the Charging Station (the version that came with 2 extra batteries) and love it. I can charge the Spark and the two extra batteries plus the controller all from the charging station without ever plugging in. I also have the bag that holds the Charging station and controller.
5)So far it hasn't happened to me (had Spark since Christmas) but am aware of it. I just check to make sure the battery is secure.
6)Never have had any WiFi connection issues. The only time it can be a problem is in built up areas with lots of WiFi networks.
7)I have both AutoPilot and Litchi. Up until now 99% of my flying was with Litchi but lately I have been using AutoPilot and love it as its autonomous flight modes are highly customizable. So for me, its both as well as GO4 as they all have do certain things well.
8)Never tried Active track but have read that Autopilot does this well.
9)If I have to get Liability insurance under the new rules (if they are approved), I'll worry about it then, but for now I will enjoy flying my Spark as much as I can. One thing to note is that the insurance will likely be higher for a larger drone and right now the Spark is still the smallest flying drone (yes, I know the Mavic Air folds smaller but is larger when flying).

Hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: ZPFunk and redsox93
Active track is easy to use & gets great footage that is near impossible to get faultlessly any other way.
I have not used an OTG cable when flying. I purchased a cable to connect my iPad to the spark (not the controller) to download videos/photos straight into the iPad. It is the same as an OTG.

Reactions: ZPFunk and redsox93
2. Like all insurance, its only worth it if you need to use it. I didn't buy it, I've had my spark 6 months, and have not broken the drone. (Knock on wood)!
3. If you abide by the LOS rule, range will never be a problem. If you need a number, 1 kilometer is a solid answer. I think you would have no problem with 1.5 km, and even 2 km is possible but I would start expecting a disconnection. I think the farthest I've been was around 1.7 km, but I was standing on the roof of my house, and it RTH upon disconnection.
4. I don't consider the RC an accessory, its standard. Don't expect to use the drone without it. Extra batteries and a charging bank is a good choice. Also a good hardshell case. And I love the bracket that holds my RC and iPad on a strap for my neck!
5. This is even a thing? Its never happened to me.
6. I agree, Wi-Fi connection is the weakest part of the UAS. It frequently drops out for a second or two during flight, but has never failed to pick back up in less than 3 seconds. What annoys me more is video lag. The OTG helped with that in the beginning, but now I can't tell much difference. Overall, it always works well enough to use the drone, but isn't perfect. On the other hand, its only $500!! For that price its incredible.
8. No. You will not be able to use this to film yourself water skiing for a number of reasons. I think you can easily film someone else water skiing, so if you have a camera man, this drone may serve your purpose.

Reactions: Bmwb57 and ZPFunk
1) If you can afford it, get the Fly More Combo and a Better case, more batteries will give you more flight time, and in turn a "quicker" learning curve, plus that charger makes all the difference when you start buying more batteries. If you go standard, buy from a seller who gives you the included controller(not everyone offers this version).

If youre not sure it'll be for you, buy from a seller with a no questions asked return policy like Amazon.

2) Better safe than sorry

3)I too came from a Syma X5c-1, theyre fun but they leave you wanting more(stable camera, more distance, less fly aways), and the spark will deliver on that upgraded performance in every way. I personally was able to hit a max outbound distance of just under 1.5 miles with my spark on a range test I did using signal boosters(Total diatance of 3.05 miles with 22% battery left upon landing. Theres a thread on here with the footage from the flight). It should be noted, Conditions were perfect. Yes, Im the type of person to do that. If you did your prechecks on the craft and device, the system works, your spark will find its way home.

However, it should be noted that there is no way to give you an absolute answer on range due to the vastly varying flight conditions, such as wind, metallic objects, or other signal obstuctions. The Symas are somewhere around 100m if im not mistaken, so yes, you should expect to "confidently" hit that range under the right conditions with a controller.

4) Buy a better case, gimbal protector, extra props, controller mount, otg(if for no other reason than to see if it makes any difference to your flight systems performance).

5) I always do a preflight check. Make sure your equipment is flight ready, after plugging in the battery, give it a few srtong tugs to make sure its secure. Ive never had a problem. Buy straps if you have doubts.

6) Ive had the app crash, the screen go blank at almost a half mile away. But i got it working again after a minute, and the spark was making its way back home. I trust it. Keep reading the forums, watch all the dji tutorials, know your equipment, give yourself time to learn the system. I currently use an OTG cable to connect to my spark with more confidence(but thats a personal preference). If something crazy happens, keep the freaking out to a minimum, and do your best to regain control of the situation.

8) I think its capable if you meet it halfway between your expectations and its limits. Id launch it from deep on the shore and set your return to home at way more battery % than your "dry" flights. I dont use active track much, its abilities are basic, but id suggest you put about 6 - 7 full batteries into learning its full potential before you send it solo over water. I imagine youll get better shots from way up where its height closes the gap between your speed and its speed. high and wide, the less ground it has to cover to keep you in the frame, the better it'll track you in my experience.

Also, for the price of the Mavic Air, you can buy a Spark FMC, Extra battery to fill that hauntingly empty spot on the charger, a mount, a case, and extra props, otg cable, you'll be good for 40+ minutes of flying.

Reactions: Bmwb57 and redsox93

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast