Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Range Issues

lkflew

Join
Jan 30, 2019
Been having a read and watching some videos on getting increased range with the spark. So far the furthest I can go before my signal bar is red is 200m. I would like to go up to 500m. Anyone have any tips and tricks or things I might have missed to maximise the potential. Thanks

You didn't mention where you are flying. If you are flying in a non FCC country, you can switch to FCC mode and that will give you better range straightaway.

Flying in Australia.
I did some googling and learnt that although Australia has a different regulation, DJI products are limited to CE range in Australia, which is 500m. Taking interference into account, this number will vary from place to place.
Search YouTube on how to use an app called "Floater" to force FCC mode.

Reactions: hexdec and lkflew
Just completed. Thank you. Will give it a test later as it's a bit windy and overcast at the moment. Will let you know how it goes. Thank you
I did some googling and learnt that although Australia has a different regulation, DJI products are limited to CE range in Australia, which is 500m. Taking interference into account, this number will vary from place to place.
Search YouTube on how to use an app called "Floater" to force FCC mode.

Just completed. Thank you. Will give it a test later as it's a bit windy and overcast at the moment. Will let you know how it goes. Thank you

Glad I could help. Hope you get the desired results. All the best and fly safe. Cheers!!

Reactions: lkflew
Been having a read and watching some videos on getting increased range with the spark. So far the furthest I can go before my signal bar is red is 200m. I would like to go up to 500m. Anyone have any tips and tricks or things I might have missed to maximise the potential. Thanks

Regardless of what some people say I got that two 1/2 round thing with copper or brass an fit's over you antenna? They do work but you need to keep it pointed at you drone the best you can.. If you don't keep it pointed it acts weird. Everyone will have Different ranges on how far you can get. I've seen some people say they get 5 miles out of them and I have a hard time believing that far only because your battery would die before you get that far with the spark.1551053656814.pngthis is what I use some times

I am an Alientech antenna fan. Pricey, but still have full signal strength about 2 miles out when I’m in the desert. Actually amplifies, but does narrow the antenna output max reception area making orientation of the controller more important. It is a non invasive and nondestructive install and the quickly (as in instant and simple) removal for transport or storage. ALIENTECH 2.4Ghz Antenna booster for DJI MAVIC PRO / PHANTOM ...

Last edited:
I am an Alienware antenna fan. Pricey, but still have full signal strength about 2 miles out when I’m in the desert. Actually amplifies, but does narrow the antenna output max reception area making orientation of the controller more important. It is a non invasive and nondestructive install and the quickly (as in instant and simple) removal for transport or storage.

I know the Alienware brand like there computer's but an antenna from them I'll have to look that one up? I'm out in the Desert and I can't get out no two miles? If I remember I can only get a little over a 1/2 mile then my signal start's to drop I would have thought with me being boxed in with mountains all around me that there would be a strong signal? Maybe not but I'm going to look into Alienware parts I learn something new every time I come in here. Thanks

If I remember I can only get a little over a 1/2 mile then my signal start's to drop I would have thought with me being boxed in with mountains all around me that there would be a strong signal?
I live in a non-FCC country and used to get barely 300-400m range while flying in a vast open field. Switched to forced FCC mode and Voila! 1.3kms on the first flight after that. I have never felt the need to buy parabolic range extenders because I get a solid 3 bars of signal upto about 1km and I am quite content with it.

So I tested the FCC and it worked. I reached 720m before I start to have signal drop in and out. Super happy as 500m is more than enough. Thank you all for you help.

Reactions: nilanjan118
Here in California I’ve taken mine about 8,600 ft (2,600m) out with the help of two $10 add-ons. It had more battery but I got a little nervous and the feed got jittery, knew I had some headwind.

Obviously I use the remote but prior to the mods line-of-sight it would get dicey (sometimes RTH) at about 2,000 ft. Now I use a simple hardwire cable microUSB->iPhone rather than wi-fi to the remote and parabolic antenna extenders. Haven’t tested individually both, only the extenders and that got me to 3,500 ft.

FWIW my test is clean unobstructed LOS. I fly from a hillside straight out over a small flat valley about 200 AGL and it’s all golf course, greenhouses and groves.

So I tested the FCC and it worked. I reached 720m before I start to have signal drop in and out. Super happy as 500m is more than enough. Thank you all for you help.

Glad it worked for you. As you said, 500m is more than enough as it is almost impossible to see the AC beyond that. When I am filming something or taking photos, I am usually within 300m. But I like the solid signal I get after switching to FCC mode and can fly with more confidence.

Best practice for range:
Discovery at the DJI Photo Academy...for FCC mode

And don't worry about battery.
The Spark is "Smart"

The spin in the middle is RTH failsafe - enough battery to get home.

The Spark battery is not smart enough to account for headwind on return to home. This forum is full of pilots that followed your thinking only to have forced landing and lost Spark when insufficient battery reserve. Even a modest headwind drains battery much quicker on return to home.

DJI says "Battery is intelligent - pilot must be wise".

The Spark battery is not smart enough to account for headwind on return to home. This forum is full of pilots that followed your thinking only to have forced landing and lost Spark when insufficient battery reserve. Even a modest headwind drains battery much quicker on return to home.

DJI says "Battery is intelligent - pilot must be wise".

Very true.
I was referring to "sensible operation" :D

I use the inexpensive parabolic dish range extenders for most flights. Although I don't fly for distance much anymore, I did get 14,588 ft away before successfuly returning all the way home. Here is laggy screen recording of the flight posted to YouTube (but shows all the telematics). This is in the U.S. so FCC mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast