Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Range Issues

Just tried the Floater solution and it worked for me. The signal-is-weak messages start appearing at 800 meters, which is a four-fold increase compared to CE-mode.
One pro-tip: if you set a location in Floater, make sure it is not close to an airport. I did and got messages about restricted air space :)

I am an Alientech antenna fan. Pricey, but still have full signal strength about 2 miles out when I’m in the desert. Actually amplifies, but does narrow the antenna output max reception area making orientation of the controller more important. It is a non invasive and nondestructive install and the quickly (as in instant and simple) removal for transport or storage. ALIENTECH 2.4Ghz Antenna booster for DJI MAVIC PRO / PHANTOM ...

Yeah I caught my self on that one Thanks

So when the Spark locked you out at 4:09 in the video and initiated auto landing, did it fly itself home or did you still have control? When it said it was auto landing, I expected it to set down in the middle of that small lake.

So when the Spark locked you out at 4:09 in the video and initiated auto landing, did it fly itself home or did you still have control? When it said it was auto landing, I expected it to set down in the middle of that small lake.
When the Spark initiates auto-landing due to low battery, it just begins to descend. However, you can still control it with the joysticks. Just maneuver it to a clear, safe position for landing while the altitude keeps going down on its own.

Doesn't lock you out of all control but takes it out of sport mode and can't fly faster than 12-13 mph. You can still fly whatever direction you choose while that's happening assuming you canceled the RTH mode (which I did) - otherwise it would just land. Spark will try to auto land, but you can override by pushing up on the altitude stick to keep it in the air - at least until the battery gives out, which is critically close to happening.

I use the inexpensive parabolic dish range extenders for most flights. Although I don't fly for distance much anymore, I did get 14,588 ft away before successfuly returning all the way home. Here is laggy screen recording of the flight posted to YouTube (but shows all the telematics). This is in the U.S. so FCC mode.

LUCKY...!!

You can go remarkably far if conditions are just right. I used to do long flights along this 3 mile long abandoned pier nearby and sometimes it would get further than others, there's really a lot of variation each flight, some little detail of angles or whatever. The reflector things did help but I don't use them otherwise - normally there's no reason to be that far away.

I fly in australia also, had mine up to 2ks away with no breakup of video or signal. I use to get video breakup at around 500m until i got an otg. All good now. Can't understand why you get a very short range. I have never been restricted at 250 before, that's a pretty short distance. I'll post a link to my distance test with my otg to show you. I don't use parabolics either.

Reactions: lkflew
When the Spark initiates auto-landing due to low battery, it just begins to descend. However, you can still control it with the joysticks. Just maneuver it to a clear, safe position for landing while the altitude keeps going down on its own.
You can actually raise the drone up again while it's in auto land if you require a little more hight to get to where you need to be.

How on earth are pilots getting 10K+ foot distances with basic gear? I have OTG and use the parabolic dishes and I get to about 3,500 feet and starts getting broke up.

My location does have an effect, rural versus suburban based on interference and LOS.

Fascinating how these pilots are claiming stock or near stock and getting such HUGE distance!:oops:

How on earth are pilots getting 10K+ foot distances with basic gear? I have OTG and use the parabolic dishes and I get to about 3,500 feet and starts getting broke up.

My location does have an effect, rural versus suburban based on interference and LOS.

Fascinating how these pilots are claiming stock or near stock and getting such HUGE distance!:oops:

Yes, location has everything to do with it.
For instance, are you in the USA?
If so, you should be reaching those distances.
If you are not, the controller operates at reduced power most other areas.
Reason is to comply with the area radio laws (CE mode it is referred to)
This was 2 miles out of my small country town in the USA, my first range test with OTG (before it was supported) and the parabolic reflectors:

Yes, location has everything to do with it.
For instance, are you in the USA?
If so, you should be reaching those distances.
If you are not, the controller operates at reduced power most other areas.
Reason is to comply with the area radio laws (CE mode it is referred to)
This was 2 miles out of my small country town in the USA, my first range test with OTG (before it was supported) and the parabolic reflectors:

@pmshop Thanks for the info, yeah I'm up in Chicago burbs, so quite a bit of interference. Obviously Less when I'm flying rural. What altitude was that?

Reactions: pmshop

I can get about a mile and a quarter away from me. In order for me to do that I have to fly the drone backwards. the idiot thing that DJ I did when they built the spark drone is the antenna is coming out the front side and not the back. Even when I do flight that distance which is I think I can get 6,700 feet or so with my spark flying backwards. At times even flying backwards is sketchy. But that's how I do it when I want to fly for a distance. Hope it helps you?

here is another thing, make sure you are on 5.8Ghz.
When you are in the DJI Go 4 App, get into the aircraft settings.
look for the one that shows you radio channels.
Upper right, select custom and that will open the spectrum for you to see.
Look on the high side and see if there are any channels in green or no line (not red lines)
select that channel and select yes to restart the controller.

What I described is part of my checklist every time I go up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit