Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

RTH froze at 330 ft vertical...

Harlan Limpert

Join
Jul 7, 2017
My first anomaly today. While 520 feet away, 330 height and 57% battery, I clicked RTH. It moved perfectly to directly above the landing pad but "froze" at 330 feet. I clicked th "X" to cancel RTH and land manually. The confirmation message appears, but when I clicked "OK", nothing happened. Th "X" continued to appear, providing the option to RTH. Moving the controls on the remote had no affect. The "X" remained visible, indicating that I could cancel RTH but, again, the DJI4 wouldn't respond.

When the battery got to about 9% DJI's amazing software announced that it was landing the Spark. It did so, though it landed about 20 feet from the landing pad and, while descending, rotated left and right rather haphazardly. (Thank you, DJI.) All turned out well but clearly something is wrong.

Other potentially relevant facts:

The Spark has flown perfectly for 200 flights in the month I've had it.
I was on my 5th of 6 batteries today, all perfectly fine.
I use the remote controller with an iPad 4, hard wired though with Bluetooth on.
I made certain that the firmware was updated before taking off.
There were no power lines or other obstructions anywhere close.

Any ideas? Theories? Suggestions?

Many thanks.

Harlan Limpert
From Minneapolis but vacationing in Colorado

Where you doing some pause between each flight? 1 flight = 1 battery? Maybe could be a temperature issue.
The rotation during going down could be that the Spark is flying in its own turbulences. You can try it, with low wind, fast down, no horizontal speed and it would look like crazy and uncontrollable (try with some altitude margin) . This is a normal effect of aerodynamic.

Where you doing some pause between each flight? 1 flight = 1 battery? Maybe could be a temperature issue.
The rotation during going down could be that the Spark is flying in its own turbulences. You can try it, with low wind, fast down, no horizontal speed and it would look like crazy and uncontrollable (try with some altitude margin) . This is a normal effect of aerodynamic.
I appreciate your thoughts, Dronason. Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme