Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Selfie in gesture mode issue..

In my case, when looking at the photos in the DJI Go 4 app editor, they're all 960x720. I'm guessing there is a way to pull down the full rez on the phone, but for me I'm looking at the actual file on the SD card from the aircraft and every single selfie is 3968x2976.

If it doesn't worry you too much, it would be interesting to know what happens if you don't have a controller attached.

That said, DJI confirmed the low-res gesture shots in a chat today, and refused to call it a defect. Even though he said over and over that developers might change it in the future.

The post above said it was called out as a "feature" in the new version of the owners manual.

Had mine worked like yours, I'd probably still have it. Maybe you should consider skipping firmware updates for a while.

If you take a photo in Shallow Focus mode, several photos are taken to produce one photo via DJI GO App. 99% of the photos taken are low res and combined with one large image to produce a medium size image around 1080p.

Pano mode takes many hi-res photos and comines them in the DJI GO App to produce a medium size (not full res) image.

Version 1.2 of the manual says photo resolution in active track mode is 1440x1080
As active track is using the same camera to track you, that makes sense. If you are not in active track the images are full res. It's so easy just to fly it up and take a full res image, it's really not a problem for me I understand it may be for others.

If it doesn't worry you too much, it would be interesting to know what happens if you don't have a controller attached.

That said, DJI confirmed the low-res gesture shots in a chat today, and refused to call it a defect. Even though he said over and over that developers might change it in the future.

The post above said it was called out as a "feature" in the new version of the owners manual.

Had mine worked like yours, I'd probably still have it. Maybe you should consider skipping firmware updates for a while.

Ok I finally took the time to run gesture mode without the RC connected. Results (no surprise) = 1440x1080 selfies. So I powered everything down, turned on the RC (phone is tethered with USB cable), turned on the Spark and let the two connect. Then I did gesture mode, keeping the turned on RC in my bag and not in use, and the results = 3968x2976 selfies. Both times it was actively tracking me as I walked around.

So in my experience, if you want full res selfies you need to have the RC connected.

Ok I finally took the time to run gesture mode without the RC connected. Results (no surprise) = 1440x1080 selfies. So I powered everything down, turned on the RC (phone is tethered with USB cable), turned on the Spark and let the two connect. Then I did gesture mode, keeping the turned on RC in my bag and not in use, and the results = 3968x2976 selfies. Both times it was actively tracking me as I walked around.

So in my experience, if you want full res selfies you need to have the RC connected.

I did some digging myself.

First, at least half the time I was in gesture mode I had my phone connected as a controller and got 1440x1080. Apparently, I never took any gesture shots with the RC attached (because that would defeat the purpose).

Second, I've never thoroughly tested gestures on my Mavic, so I decided to try it today. With the Mavic wifi-controlled by my phone I took shots using gestures and not. Interestingly, the gesture-triggered pics were, like the Spark, video frame grabs. Though on the Mavic that meant 3840x2160. When the shot was triggered by my phone the resolution was 4000x3000, AND significantly clearer.

Finally, FWIW, Mimicking your method, I flew the Mavic with a controller and tethered iPhone and had the same results as the iPhone via wifi. 4K image with the clarity of video.

So, my conclusion based on those results is that gesture mode is a form of video processing and requires the quad to be in quasi video mode. Therefore, a still image can only be a video frame-grab. Since I no longer have a Spark, I can't duplicate your tests exactly, but to me that's moot, because I don't think I would ever take a selfie with gestures if I had the controller and iPhone connected.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme