Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Should I buy spark?

cjk712

Join
Dec 13, 2017
I currently have a Phantom 3 4k, and have my eyes on the mavic.
However the Phantom 3 4k takes great footage, and was a wedding gift from my wife.

Should I get the spark now? Or wait for a spark 2 or save up for a mavic. Im afraid if I get the mavic I'll never use my phantom 3.

1st off, I'd never ask a bunch of complete strangers if I should spend money... :)
But seeing ya did...

I have a P3A, and it's also a great UAV, but it's obtrusive, and a bit of a bear to tote around.
I got the Spark for those times where a "low local" shot can be taken without the 'presence'
of a bigger louder UAV... The Spark will never replace my P3A, but because of its size,
it goes more places with me, and yes, the P3A is used a bit less. The Mavic COULD and
most likely would replace my P3A... so I guess your concern is warranted there.

Do not compare a Spark with the Mavic, and if you want a Mavic, don't get a Spark... wait and get a Mavik.
The Spark does not come close to either the Phantom or the Mavic, but... it's a fun little bird that
can take nice photos and videos for amateur use.

Reactions: cjk712
Should I get the spark now? Or wait for a spark 2 or save up for a mavic. Im afraid if I get the mavic I'll never use my phantom 3.
All of these aircraft are really like comparing apples and oranges. If you're only going to buy one though, then carefully compare the features here and decide which would be the best fit for you.

I currently have a Phantom 3 4k, and have my eyes on the mavic.
However the Phantom 3 4k takes great footage, and was a wedding gift from my wife.

For the longest time, my dilemma was also between mavic and spark and it was the way i would be using it that ultimately dictated my decision (got the spark).

I like to fly indoors, and live in a big city and dont have the luxury of wide open spaces to fly a large drone. I wanted something small and discrete that is easy to carry around and take out whenever i needed to snap a quick photo/video then put away. What sold it for me was also the fact that i could charge it directly via usb on the go from a portable battery, in the middle of nowhere (such as on an occasional mountain hike). Whereas i cannot with any other drone.

As of today, i have no regrets! Though the mavic is definitely the winner in almost every aspect, it seems like u can use the phantom u already have if u need some high quality videos/photos for the "serious" stuff, and use the spark just for "fun".

Hope this helps.

For the longest time, my dilemma was also between mavic and spark and it was the way i would be using it that ultimately dictated my decision (got the spark).

I like to fly indoors, and live in a big city and dont have the luxury of wide open spaces to fly a large drone. I wanted something small and discrete that is easy to carry around and take out whenever i needed to snap a quick photo/video then put away. What sold it for me was also the fact that i could charge it directly via usb on the go from a portable battery, in the middle of nowhere (such as on an occasional mountain hike). Whereas i cannot with any other drone.

As of today, i have no regrets! Though the mavic is definitely the winner in almost every aspect, it seems like u can use the phantom u already have if u need some high quality videos/photos for the "serious" stuff, and use the spark just for "fun".

Hope this helps.

Good point! I live in los angeles and I don't really like playing with 5 grand fines so I barely every fly the phantom. I bring it when I go anywhere however and have gotten a lot of highly appreciated after footage of my family member's houses. I want a drone that I can get footage for myself however and I figured the spark would be more disarming in the big city I live in. I have seen people fly the mavic ( I live right next to a wedding venue) and even though it is small folded up, when its unfolded and flying around you still get people on the sidewalks pointing and stopping to look at it. I want something I can sorta "explore" with. Thanks for the insight!

No problem! The best part is after flying it around for a bit, then gesture landing it in ur palms lol. People are always blown away by the technology and "fun factor." It definitely does not have the negative stigma associated with bigger drones.

I own several DJI Drones. Of all those drones, my Mavic gets the least amount of use. IMO, the Mavic is "jack of all trades". It does a little bit of everything okay, but nothing great. As example, my P4 has a better camera, so I use that when image quality matters, If I'm traveling and size matters, its the Spark. The Inspire is for "pro" type work...

IMO, the Mavic is the perfect drone if you can only have one drone...

I just purchased the mavic pro platinum and the spark. I was on the fence as well between the two and I said F it. I'll get both. Now that I have both, I do fly both equally although I only have had it for the past few weeks. They both fly the same, 4k versus 1080p I'm still toying with the settings but I haven't really seen a huge difference between the two although I know there is a difference. Size wise they are both small but the Spark does take the case for ultra portability. I can see myself choosing this over the MPP when traveling.

I think at the end of the day, you have to decide what you really want to use the drone for? If it's not for video making or professional work, the spark will do. I think right now 4k is overrated and although you want to future proof yourself, in my opinion, at this point it doesn't really matter. Portability is I think more important.

Considering all you really need at an ultimate minimum is the Spark, your phone, and a micro USB cable
and adapter to fly and recharge the Spark... You've already got the phone (tech addiction) so for family outings and such,
the Spark is the shiznit. I ride a motorcycle, and the P3A fit in 50+L trunk, whereas the Spark fits in the saddle bag, with
a bunch of other stuff, and sets up super fast... much more usable, on a whim, and what's life without whimsy?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena