Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Simple controller mod to hold an iPad mini. Too simple!!

Bob Radford

Join
Jan 29, 2018
I just did a quick mod on my controller to hold my iPad mini, no need for a holder, one less thing to carry. Too easy!! I cut out a notch where the arms for the phone holder contact the sides. It now opens up far enough to hold my iPad. I did this after I made a bracket to hold it like everyone else was doing. Don't need that anymore!!! It feels rock solid and also still holds the phone perfectly.This is way better, I am actually going to remove that whole ridge on the edge that stops the phone and tablet from fitting right into the groove on the bottom. Why didn't anyone else think of this? Or did they?IMG_4160.JPG IMG_4162.JPG

I just did a quick mod on my controller to hold my iPad mini, no need for a holder, one less thing to carry. Too easy!! I cut out a notch where the arms for the phone holder contact the sides. It now opens up far enough to hold my iPad. I did this after I made a bracket to hold it like everyone else was doing. Don't need that anymore!!! It feels rock solid and also still holds the phone perfectly.This is way better, I am actually going to remove that whole ridge on the edge that stops the phone and tablet from fitting right into the groove on the bottom. Why didn't anyone else think of this? Or did they?View attachment 4282 View attachment 4283

Bob - like you, my iPad mini 2 does not fit in the Spark RC. Due to manufacturing differences, it fits some RC's, others not. So I currently use an adapter bracket.

I have 2 questions for you:
1) Is it comfortable to get your thumbs on the sticks with the iPad kind of in the way?
2) How would you accommodate a sunshade? I find a sunshade essential and I am considering going further and getting one of the available 4 sided hoods.

I have a sunshade but rarely use it. I just find it gets in the way. I like simple, no cables or brackets. I always try to turn away from the sun so there is no glare. If the glare is too bad I use my goggles. The sunshade would not work in the setup show in my photo. It does work with my bracket though, but seems like overkill on this little controller. I was just pretty excited when I did this mod and wanted to share it. It feels quite good in the hands like this, very possitive, doesnt feel like the ipad is too heavy like it does in the bracket. I like it!!!

Don't know why you needed to make any mods to your remote. My Ipad Mini 4 fits perfectly without having to make any mods to the remote. Its a nice snug fit and secure...

Mine would not go all the way in, also I can now fit my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 without taking the silicone case off. Thanks for the comment.

Thanks for pointing that out. Guess I’ve been lucky then. My Ipad Mini fits in my Spark Remote, Mavic Air, and Mavic Pro remote...

See 1st line of post #2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GregorioDy