Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark - a good choice?

bmarlowe

Join
Dec 21, 2017
Loc
United States
I am a new Spark owner (my first drone). I did fly RC planes a long time ago. I have a technical background so the complexity of setting this thing up, pre-flight checks, the various modes, incompetent DJI support, etc. does not bother me, though I will say it is a bit is more complicated than I expected.

What concerns me is the large amount of negativity on the DJI forum and also some on this forum as to Spark reliability. It seems that Mavic has fared better. I wonder if it is because of the lower price, Spark has attracted more buyers who don't appreciate what they are getting into, or is this cheaper hardware platform inherently unreliable.

I wonder if I made a bad choice. At least I have insurance thru State Farm. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks

What concerns me is the large amount of negativity on the DJI forum and also some on this forum as to Spark reliability.
What kind of negativity are you referring to?

What kind of negativity are you referring to?

Reports of flyaways, some veteran pilots selling their Spark, etc. I realize it is hard to put this in perspective because I have no idea what the failure rate is, it may be very low - I have no way to know how many Sparks work flawlessly. I would guess only DJI or drone dealers would have an idea on that. Maybe you do :)

Reports of flyaways
You should review those reports carefully. DJI drones (any model) rarely fly away on their own without some help from the pilot.

FWIW I’ve owned a Mavic since August. It’s been my go to bird ever since. That being said, I bought a Spark because I wanted an “instant” bird ie; case to flight in less than 3 minutes. I use a checklist for the Mavic and fly it like I’m in it. The Spark is my fun vehicle - it’s not that I care any less about it, it’s just been so rock solid as long as I fly within its designed parameters. Strictly LOS, only sticks on controller (manual), and reasonable weather conditions. Less range, less flight time, not 4K, but actually more fun.

YMMV.

413718601.jpg

Jake

Reactions: Katt981
I have several hundred flights on mine and have had few issues. At one point the app was crashing, but you still had complete control of the AC. That was fixed in s FW update.
For what it is, and what it costs, I personally think the Spark is a bargain. It continues to amaze me. I also have an Inspire2 but the Spark is my run-n-gun rig and sees more air time.
For every complaint that you see on these forums, there are hundreds of successes that aren't reported.
"Bad news sells papers"

Check my video catalog. From Oct 2nd starts my Spark adventure. There are a few DIY F550 hex flights mixed in. But you can tell - that camera is processed and posted at 60fps.
Takes practice to get it smooth and a few hacks.
Hack can be found for DJI Assistant 2 that will allow you to change the YAW rate from 90°/s to 30°s
BUT, this hack slows down the tripod mode YAW rate.

Reactions: Katt981
People only post when something goes wrong. For every Spark that 'fails' there’s hundreds that haven’t. Those that fail are generally pilot error from people that don’t read the manual, lock in rth position, or don’t manage their batteries. Or, screw up and don’t want to accept its their fault.

Nobody wants to come and write every time they had a great flight though.

Reactions: Spark4Me
I am a new Spark owner (my first drone). I did fly RC planes a long time ago. I have a technical background so the complexity of setting this thing up, pre-flight checks, the various modes, incompetent DJI support, etc. does not bother me, though I will say it is a bit is more complicated than I expected.

What concerns me is the large amount of negativity on the DJI forum and also some on this forum as to Spark reliability. It seems that Mavic has fared better. I wonder if it is because of the lower price, Spark has attracted more buyers who don't appreciate what they are getting into, or is this cheaper hardware platform inherently unreliable.

I wonder if I made a bad choice. At least I have insurance thru State Farm. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks

I have both the mavic and the spark.... I love my mavic ... but the spark is soooo much fun!!!

I've only had my Spark in the air for about three hours, flown about eight miles in that time (mostly racing the children!) and I have to say it's been totally drama free after the initial setup / registration / firmware updates / more firmware updates.

I do think there's a grain of truth behind issues with the Spark - it's the newest product, DJI seems to maybe not test software as throughly as ideal, there's less redundancy to the hardware. And as you say, more newbies are going to buy the cheaper drone, especially people getting them for Christmas. But if you just Google "Mavic flyaway" you'll find a lot of drama... although interestingly enough more reports where the Mavic shot off in some weird direction but the pilot was able to take control. Experience, perhaps?

Anyway, take it slow, keep it in line of sight, make a to do list to try new adventures in some kind of easy to hard order, and have fun.

Sometimes when I launch, it doesn't record homepoint. I land and relaunch and make sure the home point is recorded and have enough satellites.

Sometimes when I launch, it doesn't record homepoint. I land and relaunch and make sure the home point is recorded and have enough satellites.
I never ever launch any of my drones until after home point is recorded. That’s how they get lost.

Reactions: Tilak
The Spark is a very solid drone. Its as "reliable" as any of my other DJI drones (which you can see what I own in my Signature). I have not noticed more serious issues on this forum than on any other of the DJI forums I belong to. I will say "gesture" mode can be finicky and that having your smart device or remote at the ready is something you should do as I've had mine just hover out of reach and not respond to my gestures...

If it seems there are more issues, it because I believe the Spark draws more "New Pilots" than say a Mavic or Phantom. The Spark also has a couple different ways to control, like the remote, gesture, smart tablet, unlike the Phantom or Mavic which uses remotes.. And again, new pilots tend to make "noob" mistakes.

I've had my Spark since it was available and have had no serious issues. Its become my "go to" drone that I take with me anywhere I go.

The Spark is a very solid drone. Its as "reliable" as any of my other DJI drones
Wow...bold statement :). I would think that just the fact that the Spark relies upon WIFI for the RC to drone connection makes it less reliable. Especially within densely populated WIFI areas. The again the term "reliable" could be subjective.

Wow...bold statement :). I would think that just the fact that the Spark relies upon WIFI for the RC to drone connection makes it less reliable. Especially within densely populated WIFI areas. The again the term "reliable" could be subjective.

OccuSync is just a transmission “layer” over wifi, although a technically advanced dedicated code. Even though the Spark doesn’t have this advantage it flies well enough to be “reliable”.

OccuSync is just a transmission “layer” over wifi, although a technically advanced dedicated code. Even though the Spark doesn’t have this advantage it flies well enough to be “reliable”.
I agree...but as reliable as Mavic (Occusync), Phantom (Lightbridge) or Inspire (Lightbridge). I think not. I can fly my Mavic & Spark in the same HIGHLY congested WIFI area and only have connections issue with the Spark.

Good point! From a "technical" standpoint you are correct. From my "practical" standpoint flying within the Sparks operating parameters its been as reliable as my other DJI drones. I don't push the envelope of the Spark. I don't fly it long distances away from me, I always use a tablet and remote. Actually in my neighborhood, I've seen my Mavic and Inspire flash the "Wifi interference" warning a few times but not on my Spark. Again, I don't fly it nearly as far though...

so yeah, "reliable" is subjective :)

Reactions: lightbg
Good point! From a "technical" standpoint you are correct. From my "practical" standpoint flying within the Sparks operating parameters its been as reliable as my other DJI drones. I don't push the envelope of the Spark. I don't fly it long distances away from me, I always use a tablet and remote. Actually in my neighborhood, I've seen my Mavic and Inspire flash the "Wifi interference" warning a few times but not on my Spark. Again, I don't fly it nearly as far though...

so yeah, "reliable" is subjective :)
That's the same approach that I take when flying my Spark...I stay within the limitations of the device (Spark), though sometimes when switching back & forth between platforms it shard to remember what those limitations are.

Yes, wait for homepoint to be recorded.
However, if it takes an unreasonable amount of time to record homepoint, You should open a ticket and send for service.
My 1st Spark would not lock a home point even during a 400' max flight time of 10:00 min.
Sent it in under direction and got a new one in a week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502