Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark as a very first drone?

BluePixel

Join
Aug 15, 2017
Loc
O-H-I-O
(Sorry for double post. Posted this in General Discussions originally, but i think it might be better here.)

Complete newbie here. Been thinking to get one for a few months now.
Was considering 3dr Solo, Parrot Bebop2.
But after spending few weeks here, decided to go with Spark.
I am thinking to go with fly more package.
So, is it good idea for the first drone?
Thanks.

The Spark will make an excellent first drone.
FM combo is a great deal. Remote control a must. I would never try to fly it using phone as a controller.
Shoots some surprisingly good pictures also. You won't get that from a Parrot.

Reactions: sassafras
I am probably a day ahead of you. My Spark arrived yesterday. I wanted a drone that I could use for informal pictures and videos. I did not want anything complex that required immense effort to fly and therefore never use for its original purpose. It was a little disappointing on opening it to spend half a day updating the software and getting everything linked and stable. This is because you have to switch the WiFi between networks on a number of occasions to complete the process.

However with this out of the way I managed to fly it last night (in beginners mode) and achieved a high level of control (albeit at a slow speed) and even in this restricted mode found I could concentrate on the pictures/video as the flying was stable and nicely automated. I have the Fly More Combo.

Now feeling a lot happier with my choice after flying it. Mid-afternoon yesterday with it going flat during updating and getting "No Network" messages (because the app cannot access the Internet when connected to the controller) I was getting very frustrated with it as the "ideal for beginners" advertising message was wearing a bit thin,

I wanted the Mavic for my first drone but my copilot (wife) and I agreed that we would start with the Spark.

Somehow we justified losing $500 vs. $1000 if something went wrong.

I never thought of it as a mini Mavic, more like Mavics little brother.

We bought the Fly More Combo, a couple of extra batteries (I think 3 minimum for starters), an iPad mini 4, and a Dirty J. Designs tablet holder (the mini 4 does fit in the RC but I like the holder).

For now I'm using an old laptop computer bag for my case. It's already padded, fits everything perfect. Even with the prop guards attached.

We only had it for a month and love the little drone so far.

Keep everything updated and check this forum often for tips.

I've owned Phantoms prior to having both the Mavic and Spark and since I've gotten the Spark my Mavic hasn't flown much to be honest. The spark is faster to get up in the air and the photo/video quality is not bad for social media. The spark is perfect as a 1st drone which I believe is what DJI was gearing towards. Its portable, easy to fly, and has some of the tech that the higher end DJI drones have which is a nice thing if you eventually upgrade as you've been exposed to it. The annoyance that I have, I guess its with all new release DJI drones, is the firmware updates that the Spark is going to need before its truly "issue free". One issue gets fixed which sometimes causes another issue and so forth (example is the dronie shot that many are experiencing).

Overall though its a "fun" drone to fly. Those of you who bought this as your 1st drone won't regret it.

I went through your calculus and decided on the spark and am very happy with it. I did buy the fly more combo plus two extra batteries ("fly more" is a silly name when it only includes 1 more battery).

The size and relative ease of palm launching it are some of the things that attracted me. I will tell you that even 4 batteries at first felt very short for me. The 10-14 min of flying time you get on a battery feels very short, and at first you want to fly all of the time. If you have a place to fly where you have easy access to mains electricity to recharge (i.e. like a big back yard) then great. But since I live in Class D airspace and lots of trees and in the US we have ugly power lines everywhere, I had to go to a big field about 15 minutes drive and there is no way to recharge there.

I highly recommend that you get an OTG cable. That RC to phone WiFi connection is terrible and a terrible idea.

I've only had it for two weeks and already went to the mountains and did a flight to 1.1 km away and back. That was a bit stressful but I brought it back just fine with over 45% battery left.

I went through your calculus and decided on the spark and am very happy with it. I did buy the fly more combo plus two extra batteries ("fly more" is a silly name when it only includes 1 more battery).

The size and relative ease of palm launching it are some of the things that attracted me. I will tell you that even 4 batteries at first felt very short for me. The 10-14 min of flying time you get on a battery feels very short, and at first you want to fly all of the time. If you have a place to fly where you have easy access to mains electricity to recharge (i.e. like a big back yard) then great. But since I live in Class D airspace and lots of trees and in the US we have ugly power lines everywhere, I had to go to a big field about 15 minutes drive and there is no way to recharge there.

I highly recommend that you get an OTG cable. That RC to phone WiFi connection is terrible and a terrible idea.

I've only had it for two weeks and already went to the mountains and did a flight to 1.1 km away and back. That was a bit stressful but I brought it back just fine with over 45% battery left.
For extra power while on the go, get one of these:
Amazon.com: Ampeak 100W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Converter with 2.1A USB Car Charger: Car Electronics

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have an inverter.
However, but this only helps if:
a) you are near the car to begin with
b) you are willing to keep the engine running and producing pollution for over an hour while you charge... this only makes sense if you are already driving somewhere anyway...

You could charge with the engine off but most cars have high cycle, not deep cycle batteries and depleting them below 50% damages them. I might be able to get away with 1 full recharge though. I still have to calculate the numbers.

Another option that I considered was the Goal Zero Yeti 150. The multi charger for Spark says it draws 50w (I measured 56w). Charging 3 batteries + 1 in the drone + RC takes a bit over an hour (move the battery from the Spark to the multi charger when the 1st of the 3 are done to make it go faster). So it should be good for 2 full recharges of a set of 4 batteries + RC. However, at over $200 USD it's expensive and heavy (12lb). I could just buy 4 more Spark batteries...

Yes, Spark FM combo is the perfect first drone.

I started with Phantom 2 Vision, not easy to get to grips, it doesn't stay in one place when hovering low due to no downwards sensor, it is too big attracting too much attention and set-up takes ages.

I think the Mavic Pro is a better drone, I originally was going to buy that, but Spark came out with (seems) more durable gimbal. I decided I'll crash it sooner or later, so the more durable design feel did it for me. Also same with above, loosing a drone that's half the price is easier to swallow.

So far, 1 week in, very happy with my Spark. It's very easy to fly, no issues and photo quality is pretty good (though wish it produces RAW photos). Sport mode is great fun, it is not only a family photo platform, it's also my expensive new toy :D

Yes, the Spark would make for a good for first drone. In the past I used to say "Buy something cheap and learn to fly", but I watched a friend buy a Mavic Pro with zero experience and has done just fine in the month or so...

BUT don't be fooled though, the expense really doesn't end with the purchase of the Spark (standard or fly-more combo), its just the beginning. I know I was there with my first drone (a Phantom 3) and my buddy with the Mavic is going through the same thing...

You'll want a bigger screen instead of your Smart Phone, So add in the cost of an Ipad Mini 4. Why an Ipad Mini 4, cause whether you like Apple or not, Apple devices work almost seamlessly with DJI products. Then you'll want to fly eve more, so more batteries, then you'll want a good case to take all your stuff in; And once you start enjoying the videos you create you'll realize you want a 4k display/computer with more processing power to edit all those excellent videos you've taken... :)

Reactions: Spark 317
Thank you for all the replies! You guys are wetting my appetite! :)
I am finishing my side job and $$ will be available in a week or two.
Is Amazon is a good place to buy?

Amazon is a good place to buy from for a few reasons. There are a lot of authorized DJI dealers with stock there. Since they are authorized dealers, DJI will honor their warranty (if you ever need to use it). Also, since Amazon is fulfilling many of those orders, you'll get it tax-free, shipped free, shipped quickly, and be able to easily return it if it does not arrive as expected (or is not functioning properly).

FYI, I have a list of authorized DJI dealers selling Sparks on Amazon here.

Thanks #msinger!
About iPad mini, my wife has version 3, or maybe 2. Have to chen when i get home. I think i will probably try that before i buy iPad 4.
I also have iPad Pro, but that would be overkill.

The iPad Mini 4 is a nice choice (if you decide to buy something new). The iPad Mini 2/3 will be able to run the DJI GO app too.

SPARK is amazing even if not first drone. So easy to fly and cart around. DEF get RC controller. I own a Mavic, Solo, Karma and Spark. All have their strengths but I use the Spark the most. You won't be disappointed !

Reactions: Spark4Me

My friend and I both placed our orders at the same exact time (monday morning). He went through and official DJI dealer, and was told to expect delivery mid to end of next week. It arrived within 3 days. I placed my order through DJI directly, on their online store. They processed my payment immediately and then over 5 days no progress was made whatsoever. I made multiple queries through their store chat and was told a different story every single time. The end of the story is, after being told it had shipped out days earlier, it actually was out of stock, and the expected wait was 8-10 days, plus another 3-5 for shipping. I cancelled my order last night around 5pm, and ordered everything on Amazon. It will be arriving on Sunday, and the two extra batteries on wednesday (4 total). Also, if you are a Prime credit card owner, they kick back another 5% to you. Free shipping, plus tax.

Obviously, it is a hot product, but their customer support is horrific. It was about as effective as speaking with a random chat bot. In the end I got one who was honest, and "advised" me to cancel and order again (in not so many words). Looks like yellow and red are the hot colors. I went with yellow for visibility reasons. cheers.

I must have gotten lucky, I have never had an issue with the connection with the phone to RC, so have no need for an OTG cable

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast