Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark attitude

Join
Sep 3, 2017
Hi all ,
I have problem with my new Spark , i think issues with my barometer , when i start flying height reading us very well untill 2.5 meter it start to confuse and reading stop yet the spark.still go up when i land and check the flight record the attitude reading are realistic and not as show on the app while flying. I guess i have some issue with my barometer anyone have this same issue?
Thanks for your help

Hi all ,
I have problem with my new Spark , i think issues with my barometer , when i start flying height reading us very well untill 2.5 meter it start to confuse and reading stop yet the spark.still go up when i land and check the flight record the attitude reading are realistic and not as show on the app while flying. I guess i have some issue with my barometer anyone have this same issue?
Thanks for your help
Maybe you are reading the vertical proximity sensor. This one will only operate over a limit range that depend on the kind of soil bellow the Spark.
I think that if the Height indication is in RED, it is the vertical laser sensor indication and when in white it comes from the barometer.
If your Spark has stable position and height, you should be fine, just try to check if color change.
Check maybe also bellow, there is a transparent protective plastic film set at factor to protect the windows of the sensor. There is the same protection on camera and front obstacle avoidance sensor.

Hi all ,
Thanks for your help
By the way, welcome on the forum.

Wow. Locked onto 2.5m height. That's good. Means you can fly into the clouds without any hacks as the spark will always think its 2.5 meters high.

Bad because you will need to rely on the video feed to know where ground is.

Wow. Locked onto 2.5m height. That's good. Means you can fly into the clouds without any hacks as the spark will always think its 2.5 meters high.

The issue is with the vertical laser sensor, it probably don't return exactly zero value and the Go4 app still think it sense the ground and display a height in red. The barometer is most probably nicely working and will still limit the maximum height. Easy to check by setting a low altitude limit.

Hi all ,
Thanks for your help
If you want to test the sensor and barometer, you can upload the flight log from your app here DJI Flight Log Viewer (and post the link to it if you want some adivse). It gives an overview of the flight where columns IMU Altitude and VPS Altitude will show you the value of barometer and vertical sensor.

If you want to test the sensor and barometer, you can upload the flight log from your app here DJI Flight Log Viewer (and post the link to it if you want some adivse). It gives an overview of the flight where columns IMU Altitude and VPS Altitude will show you the value of barometer and vertical sensor.
flight log is working 100% you can see the real altitude there are no errors , thanks

The issue is with the vertical laser sensor, it probably don't return exactly zero value and the Go4 app still think it sense the ground and display a height in red. The barometer is most probably nicely working and will still limit the maximum height. Easy to check by setting a low altitude limit.
hi Dronason, i am not sure i tried everything i did so many research i almost tired , if it is the issue with the vertical sensor how can i check it and fix it ,p.s: when i fly with above 2 meter the reading on the app stop at 2 meter and flying with drone becam scary when i go up and remove my hands from the RC the spark stay going up until i push down and it take the order to landing , thank you i really appreciate

Reactions: BanditX2

haha believe me not that good , i lost signal with my RC and the spark went to RTH mode and it went up Reallllyyyy high ( RTH Was 20 m ) in sky i can't see her nor hear it haha and i seat down for 8 minute waiting critically battery low so it can land , finally it showed landing really fast and far from me at least 40 meter in the wood haha i spent all afternoon searching for it to finally find it :D

Maybe you are reading the vertical proximity sensor. This one will only operate over a limit range that depend on the kind of soil bellow the Spark.
I think that if the Height indication is in RED, it is the vertical laser sensor indication and when in white it comes from the barometer.
If your Spark has stable position and height, you should be fine, just try to check if color change.
Check maybe also bellow, there is a transparent protective plastic film set at factor to protect the windows of the sensor. There is the same protection on camera and front obstacle avoidance sensor.
thanks , but i already removed all transparent protective plastic, when the height indicator is RED the drone has stable position and height but when i go further up to higher than 2 meter the drone won't be anymore stable and the reading on my app stop at ~2.1 meter , but in flight record the altitude would be reading find i am not sure what is the problem , i am thinking about barometer , but why in flight record the reading are good ?? thank you for your reply

Can you share the flight record ?
Is the VPS altitude saying 0.0 because it is also the value that is reported when there is no reading possible and then the Spark should use barometer should be used.

The best is usually to retrieve the .DAT flight record of the Spark as explained HERE. You can upload them to something like dropbox and post a link here or check it yourself using the CsvView tools available HERE. It can be checked more in details by forum members if you share it. There is limited space for these flight records in the Spark, older are deleted to have space for new, so retrieval should be done as early as possible. The best is usually to make a test flight that reproduce your issue and directly retrieve the DAT file.

If it don't stop climbing when you release the throttle and in Go4 app the height remain in red, there is an issue related to the vertical laser sensor. It is supposed to give values for up to 8 meters and then the barometer is used. Here it seems that even if it says zero Spark still use it.

Apart a warranty claim to DJI you can also try to refresh the firmware and reset parameters to factory default using DJI assistant 2.
Fully uninstall the Go4 app and reinstall it could be also a try but don't seems so much related to your issue.

I am having the exact same issue. Height value is stopping at around 6.5 feet. The all I get is an occasional flash of height but nor real numbers on the app in real time. Had mine zip up to 167 feet on its own ( according to the flight log ),even though it is set to beginner mode. Not cool for this newbie. Any help on this would be appreciated!

I am having the exact same issue. Height value is stopping at around 6.5 feet. The all I get is an occasional flash of height but nor real numbers on the app in real time. Had mine zip up to 167 feet on its own ( according to the flight log ),even though it is set to beginner mode. Not cool for this newbie. Any help on this would be appreciated!
hello too bad , i did so many research on this issue and i didn't got any answer , i think it is a problem with the barometer because above ~3 meter the infrared sensors stop reading height it is the job of the barometer. but i didnt know how to fix it they told me i should change all the main board ,so i went to the Dji official dealer where i buy it and he replace my spark with a new one since it is under warranty , wish you good luck with this issue keep me update if u find any solution

hello too bad , i did so many research on this issue and i didn't got any answer , i think it is a problem with the barometer because above ~3 meter the infrared sensors stop reading height it is the job of the barometer. but i didnt know how to fix it they told me i should change all the main board ,so i went to the Dji official dealer where i buy it and he replace my spark with a new one since it is under warranty , wish you good luck with this issue keep me update if u find any solution
SOLUTION - Downgraded to previous version of the Go4 app and the altitude, distance and controls are back in good shape. Give that a try and see what happens!!!

I too have experienced the same problem. Before I go farther, I have done everything usually suggested...calibration, factory restore, DJIAssitant reload of firmware, with app alone (no remote), with remote alone (no app), etc.

Mine will track to about 8-9 meters using the proximity sensors (showing the sensor icon next to the altitude), and then, as the Spark rises, the app display will flicker back and forth between the real(?) altitude (without the proximity icon) and something like 8.5 meters (with the proximity icon). I noticed a couple behaviors that this results in...
  1. Like others, I can release the sticks and the Spark will continue to rise a the same rate for quite a while
  2. Conversely, the Spark will drop like a rock (possibly faster than it would with the stick all the way down, before the problem) when descending and releasing the sticks.
  3. At first, I thought the flight log showed the correct altitude, but then realized there was something fishy. It seems to only record altitude from the barometer, and doesn't show the proximity sensor altitude. I had one flight were the "flickering" between altitude sensors stopped at a fairly high altitude, showing only the proximity sensor at 8.5 meter, until it got close to landing. The last barometer reading was at 18 meters. The flight log showed I never went below 18 meters until landing. TO be clear, I took off and landed in the exact same spot.
I'm torn at what is causing this, as it seems better on some flights, and terrible on others. If I were to guess, I would say it is one of two things.
  1. The barometer chip/sensor is failing and the proximity sensor is basically used and reports it's max detection range (8 meters?)
  2. The proximity sensors are reporting something (falsely) that overrides the barometer reading
I did put a call in to DJI and they said to send it in, but I'm a curious person and really want to see if there is a solution without sending it in. This would save me, and possibly others, unnecessary time away from their favorite toy...errr...I mean drone.

BanditX2:
Can you confirm the Go4 App has definitely resolved the issue? I ask, because I've had a few (nearly) flawless flights (with regard to reported altitude), but many wacky ones before and after. I've also flown the drone with the remote only (visually, no app in the mix) and see the same "keeps ascending" behavior.
If it truly solved the problem, how did you "roll back"?

I too have experienced the same problem. Before I go farther, I have done everything usually suggested...calibration, factory restore, DJIAssitant reload of firmware, with app alone (no remote), with remote alone (no app), etc.

Mine will track to about 8-9 meters using the proximity sensors (showing the sensor icon next to the altitude), and then, as the Spark rises, the app display will flicker back and forth between the real(?) altitude (without the proximity icon) and something like 8.5 meters (with the proximity icon). I noticed a couple behaviors that this results in...
  1. Like others, I can release the sticks and the Spark will continue to rise a the same rate for quite a while
  2. Conversely, the Spark will drop like a rock (possibly faster than it would with the stick all the way down, before the problem) when descending and releasing the sticks.
  3. At first, I thought the flight log showed the correct altitude, but then realized there was something fishy. It seems to only record altitude from the barometer, and doesn't show the proximity sensor altitude. I had one flight were the "flickering" between altitude sensors stopped at a fairly high altitude, showing only the proximity sensor at 8.5 meter, until it got close to landing. The last barometer reading was at 18 meters. The flight log showed I never went below 18 meters until landing. TO be clear, I took off and landed in the exact same spot.
I'm torn at what is causing this, as it seems better on some flights, and terrible on others. If I were to guess, I would say it is one of two things.
  1. The barometer chip/sensor is failing and the proximity sensor is basically used and reports it's max detection range (8 meters?)
  2. The proximity sensors are reporting something (falsely) that overrides the barometer reading
I did put a call in to DJI and they said to send it in, but I'm a curious person and really want to see if there is a solution without sending it in. This would save me, and possibly others, unnecessary time away from their favorite toy...errr...I mean drone.

BanditX2:
Can you confirm the Go4 App has definitely resolved the issue? I ask, because I've had a few (nearly) flawless flights (with regard to reported altitude), but many wacky ones before and after. I've also flown the drone with the remote only (visually, no app in the mix) and see the same "keeps ascending" behavior.
If it truly solved the problem, how did you "roll back"?

Hello BRick did you solved this altitude issue? My Spark has the same problem.... now it's on a drone repair center.... hope they can solve this issue...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme