Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark initiating landing all on its own at altitude.

Robert Farnow

Join
Jun 11, 2017
So I'm trying out the goggles with the spark yesterday and I decide to check out live mode, which removes all flight data from the video feed. As I'm trying to descend I hear the controller begin to beep and the aircraft began descending fast. Fortunately, I was in an open field and was able to retrieve the spark, but this would have been a disaster if I was over water or trees. Has anyone else experienced this? I tried flying again and it appears the spark goes into auto land when elevator stick is down at 100%, even at 50' in the air. It never has done this before, what could be the problem?

I think the Mavic a time ago had a problem like yours, solved meanwhile with a Firmware update.

I'm experiencing the same behavior, when ever the elevator stick is all the way down 100% it starts beeping and initiates auto land.

There has got to be a setting to change this, I've been looking, but no luck yet.

Different thank your experience when mine auto lands it comes down very very slowly. Like 0.7mph. It's so painful to wait for it.

So I had a chance to test it out again today. I hope I don't need to send it to DJI but it's just not the same flying it when I know at any moment I could accidentally lose it. Here is a quick video showing the troubleshooting I did earlier today. I guess my next step would be to contact dji support. Look at this amazing piece I shot with my DJI equipment! | SkyPixel.com

Trivial, but did you remove the protective plastic film on the sensors at bottom of Spark ?
Are these 3 windows clean (2 red for laser measure) and one camera?

Good question, they are clean and no plastic for me.

I'm experiencing the same behavior, when ever the elevator stick is all the way down 100% it starts beeping and initiates auto land.

There has got to be a setting to change this, I've been looking, but no luck yet.

Different thank your experience when mine auto lands it comes down very very slowly. Like 0.7mph. It's so painful to wait for it.
I don't have seen a setting to disable auto landing. Maybe you can try to disable obstacle avoidance but it says nothing about autolanding.

Sounds not so good. I have seen one guy where his Spark was at let's say 30 meters altitude and the proximity sensor (vertical one) was saying 1ft and it was starting to land. It got 2 contradictory altitude info and follow the proximity sensor. A look at the flight log could show if it is the case.
Did you try to reflash the firmware with DJI assistant 2 ? (more a why not to try step).

Yeah I'm gong to try the firmware refresh but I want to confirm the vps values when landing first. Thanks for the info!!

To see VPS values, the best is the flight record file on the tablet, you can also upload it HERE.

You can see a sample of its use in the linked post. There was a similar issue with also low VPS value. At post #2 there is a graph with my values during a normal flight (was from the Spark flight recorder file, not the table file.
Strange behaviour - went into landing mode with 32% battery left.

There is also a more complete flight record (.DAT) in the Spark but it start to be more deeply technical. This post explain how to retrieve it.
That was a close one!
Post #8

I'm having the same auto land problem with my spark too. I haven't tried it out since I calibrated the IMU and made sure the firmware was up to date. It does exactly what the others to this thread have complained about too. On the same day I flew it in the first flight at another location it flew perfectly. When I moved about ten miles further away it started its dance. Almost lost control of it and could make it climb back up when it went into auto land again. Luckily I brought it in close to me for a wild landing. I hesitate to take it over water or an area with heavy foliage before I know I no longer have this problem. Thoughts? I don't know what others have said about plastic covering over sensors and camera on bottom. Never saw that on my Spark?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leahandran