Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Just Dropped Out Of The Sky!

mikef91

Join
Jul 30, 2017
Well, my 2nd flight with the spark using the OTG cable with my iPad, in airplane mode, and my Spark just dropped out of the sky from about 100 feet. The screen on the app went blank, it still said it was in flight, and I heard the crash in front of my house. Battery was over 75% charged and I had a clear line of site to the drone from the side of my house. This thing, while I love the size, is a BIG P.O.S. I should've kept my Mavic. Now I am going to have to pay for the refresh, get a new one and return to Amazon. Unreal.

I'm just on vacation in Majorca and I'm afraid I will hurt someone by falling Spark. I have insurance but this is still a problem. If it falls to the sea it's just my loss

The spark is my first drone and was told that dji were the market leaders in drones so far my spark has failed in nearly every aspect that dji promote about it videos taken with it are only 50% useable and at best i have only been able to fly 150 meters from me with it i have mailed dji with all these problems and was pretty must told that its my problem. They maybe the market leaders but this is really poor service. I was considering also buying mavic but atm no longer considering touching another dji product. Lift your game dji

Spark is the best dron for selfie. This is a fact. If you bought it because you thought it was a smaller copy of Mavic then you made a mistake.

Spark is a holiday dron, but should not fall from the sky alone.

Last edited:
The spark is my first drone and was told that dji were the market leaders in drones so far my spark has failed in nearly every aspect that dji promote about it videos taken with it are only 50% useable and at best i have only been able to fly 150 meters from me with it i have mailed dji with all these problems and was pretty must told that its my problem. They maybe the market leaders but this is really poor service. I was considering also buying mavic but atm no longer considering touching another dji product. Lift your game dji

could you tell us which Firmware you had?

Spark is the best dron for selfie. This is a fact. If you bought it because you thought it was a smaller copy of Mavic then you made a mistake.

Spark is a holiday dron, but should not fall from the sky alone.
I bought the spark for holiday and didnt think it was going to be a mavic but i expect at least something close to what they advertise. 2km range??? I cant fly any more than 150m with rc and otg. If i dont get a decent response from them and they want to treat their customers like idiots the ACCC will take care of that

I reached 500m and came back because I was afraid of losing a drona before the holiday. When I come back I will do a test. I am in the EU so I have less coverage than in the US.

Reactions: rich777
I bought the spark for holiday and didnt think it was going to be a mavic but i expect at least something close to what they advertise. 2km range??? I cant fly any more than 150m with rc and otg. If i dont get a decent response from them and they want to treat their customers like idiots the ACCC will take care of that

you are off topic!! here we talk about a spark which felt from the Sky! Stay on topic!

it is very important that the Thread-owner tell us which Firmware he was using.

My fault, because i thought you was the thread-owner..your first post was already off topic. Back to topic now.

at best i have only been able to fly 150 meters from me with it
The Spark is more cumbersome than one may think from advertizement.
However, I found workarounds for its glitches and now I am really happy with it.
#1 issue is reach in Europe. It is advertized as 300m (not 2km!), 500m with 2.4GHz. Half of that is usable reach with stable control. However, I was able to quadruple the reach by installing RP-SMA connectors to the RC and using decent antennae. Now its all good.
#2 issue is the sensitivity of yaw and gimbal controls. DJI seems to be working on that, but they aren't there yet.

And then there is the issue that a few specimen fley away or fall from sky. Will have to watch this carefully ...
At least, if a Spark hits somebody, it won't likely kill him. Which I wouldn't say for a Mavic or heavier drone coming from high enough ...

so, i brought my spark with us on our camping trip in Canada. and i credit most of its erratic behavior to user error i.e. not properly extending my hand so the spark can recognize it.

BUT on two occasions, while trying to PALM LAUNCH the drone will attempt to hover up but all of a sudden dropped to to the ground!!! good thing it was just about my shoulder height (im 6'0) so no damage! of course this freaked me out and did not attempt using the RC or the IPHONE.

i tried to do a palm launch again when i got home from the camping trip and it worked well from launching to landing. wonder what the cause was why it fell to the ground. battery was at 100%.

would this cases of the dreaded "FALLING TO THE GROUND" issue?

My also fall down one time in the gras, perhaps something was wrong with the homepoint? Since there i only use it on gras to be prepared.

Well, my 2nd flight with the spark using the OTG cable with my iPad, in airplane mode, and my Spark just dropped out of the sky from about 100 feet. The screen on the app went blank, it still said it was in flight, and I heard the crash in front of my house. Battery was over 75% charged and I had a clear line of site to the drone from the side of my house. This thing, while I love the size, is a BIG P.O.S. I should've kept my Mavic. Now I am going to have to pay for the refresh, get a new one and return to Amazon. Unreal.
This happened to me and many others it has nothing to do with the cable these are just failing. You should post this and file a complaint with the federal consumer protection agency as this is a dangerous situation. DJI is trying to hide this flaw.

i had a same issue, was hovering my spark at 10 meters (height) 250 meters (distance), all of sudden my RC lost connection, went to the point my spark last hover (2 feet from the lake) and saw my spark on the ground. Day before i update my spark to the latest firmware 4.1.5 update. I've contacted Dji for the issue, they said no issue on falling drones on latest firmware and i'm the first.. they told me to calibrate imu and compass and to contact them if it fails again. So now im afraid to fly with my spark, just did 5 flight (10-15min each) post event.. still haven't got my guts to fly spark further and higher...

4.1.5 is Not the Firmware! it is the App Version! The one has nothing to do with the other.

Reactions: chnuffi
568CAD65-F744-44EC-B336-B53135E7D0B7.jpeg 49011DC4-A1F4-435B-9CE2-C7DE5AD7F233.jpeg B50C58E5-91A9-43CF-B163-B9A1353E06DB.jpeg 65C5ED0A-3203-4969-86EC-B60D2C57690E.jpeg

Well, it JUST happened!...

I was trying to get some sunset shots by my house. I was hovering about 50’ off the ground... got my shots, flipped it into sport mode to just play around a bit before going inside... pushed the stick forward, flew around in a circle, then let off the stick, it pitched back as if to ‘brake’ and... it blacked out and dropped like a stone 50’ to the pavement! Battery separated from drone and broke on impact, motor case broke apart on the leg that impacted and that same leg cracked away from the main body. It’s too late to talk to DJI via chat, so I will have to anxiously wait until tomorrow morning. Not happy at all! I just hope this doesn’t count toward my DJI Refresh, cause I did nothing wrong, it just shut off and dropped like a brick!! Battery still had better than 90%, I had just taken off and grabbed one still shot!

DJI Spark f/w ver. 01.00.0600

**i tested it just for a minute, in a safe environment of course... it powered up, hovered 4ft AGL normally, but I will of course not fly it anymore due to the obvious damage to the body. I am impressed that with the damage it took, it still powered and “flew”, though I’m sure more intense flight would cause further failures...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar