Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Limited Range

Oilman62

Join
Jun 27, 2019
I live in Alberta, Canada and I only get get a max of 200m(see photo 41m away, weak signal) range with my Spark. My phone(S10+) + RC+ Spark are all connected by wifi. I'm not using a OTG cable. According the the wifi in the DGI Go4 App I'm connected to the FCC location(See attached photo). I've uninstalled the App on my phone and reinstalled it. I've flown it in different locations(No wifi in area) and at different altitudes.Bluetooth on the phone is also turned off. I also make sure the flat part of the antennas on the RC are pointed perpendicular at the drone. None of this seems to help. Am i missing something obvious? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20190721_183945.jpg
    IMG_20190721_183945.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20190721_175627.jpg
    IMG_20190721_175627.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 46
Beginner Mode has a limit of 30m if enabled so shouldn't be that if you're getting 200m. With your RC connected to the AC, have you checked the Distance Limit setting in the MC settings? When you say a max of 200m do you mean you lose video signal at that point or do you lose control signal as well?

Reactions: JSM
Beginner Mode has a limit of 30m if enabled so shouldn't be that if you're getting 200m. With your RC connected to the AC, have you checked the Distance Limit setting in the MC settings? When you say a max of 200m do you mean you lose video signal at that point or do you lose control signal as well?
I have the distance limit setting set at 1000m. Beginner mode is turned off. At a max of 200m thats when I lose control signal.(The wifi setting shows no bars and I get a warning from the app.)

Most unusual. It almost sounds like your wifi settings are set to 5.8mz instead of the 2.4. Have you checked those to make sure? 5.8 will not give you the distance/range, it comes in handy for shorter flights since it's not used by most gadgets at this current time, but does not have the distance/range that 2.4 has.

It almost does seem like it's acting like its in CE mode but as you can see from the attached photos it is in FCC mode. Does anyone know if Canada is the same as the USA as far as that goes?

Reactions: pmshop
Just a thought, we do have the option of switching Firmware updates. In your case perhaps dropping down an update might resolve the issue. You can always switch back.

You should definitely try an OTG cable. Although I am on forced FCC mode, I get very similar experience to you when I have my Android phone connected to the RC via WiFi. This is true for both Litchi and Go4 app. Although I still don't have a proper explanation as to how an OTG able improves the connection between RC and AC, it works for me and I never fly on WiFi.

Just an Update. I tried using a OTG cable and now get full signal strength whereas before it would drop quick after 200m or so. Thanks for the advise!
Glad to hear you got it sorted. When I started out with my Spark I had a lot of image transmission errors (Android). One $12 OTG cable later and I haven't had another one since.

beginner mode is prolly on.... also the spark sucks they didnt make good video and audio transmission since the mavic and above.. why they used 2.4 and not freq hopped.. thats why but why fix it whe they can force you to buy a whole new drone and make more money.. spektrum output a patch for their radios for free and now they hop freqencies so why cant you do that a 2,4 transmitter can hop all around with firmware dji.. how come you dont care about us

I recently changed from an iPhone to a Samsung galaxy S10e and immediately noticed signal connection problems from RC to Spark. I concluded that the only hardware to have changed is the phone so i took it out to a secluded place and tried to fly it as far as it’ll go.. 30m signal went down to 2 bars, 40m down to 1 bar, 80m signal down to 0 bars but kept on flying to over 250m before I lost control.. DJI go4 is also very buggy with Samsung S10, some buttons don’t respond when pressed in settings. I concluded that the visual interface on the app was not reflecting true signal. I do use OTG cable.

I will try that for sure. Thanks for the advice all!
To give you a glimmer of hope !!! here is a video of the amazing Spark with a distance of just over 3.5 klms out, using controller, I Pad Mini and OTG cable (15% + battery at the end!!)............enjoy!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme