Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark will NOT fly straight in Sport Mode

My 2 sparks do this as well in sport mode. Hell sometimes she flies almost totally sideways lol, you can tell she is trying to hold a straight line but I think having a single IMU and Compass is a limiting factor of straight flight. It just can't keep up with the wind and other adjustments to keep its nose perfectly straight. I have even seen my Mavic Pro exhibit this issue, I chaulk it up to consumer grade components. It's super easy to see in the video feed, even more so if you have "pimped" your Spark to Sport Mode+

Calibration of IMU and compass will not help nor will changing props. It's more of a "Feature" of the DJI Spark lol. Like I mentioned above it's a cheaper consumer grade UAV so don't expect perfection boys and girls! Just be happy with what you have and learn how to use this "tool" as best as you can and work around its limitations.

Mine does it without wind
I see it a lot on RTH and Litchi Missions when I do a POI.
POI pin where I want to focus has always been a few degrees off from actual.
Focus here is the top of the hill with a waypoint 0:00 to 0:16:

Just curious.There is a difference between a track error and a heading error. Your video is helpful to decide what it actually is. It looks like you are in an auto mission. So the drone does all the navigating to keep it on the track (the straight line) between the start and end point (your POI). It looks like the drone hits the POI dead on. This means there was no track error. If there had been one the drone would have been off to the right or left of the POI. It looks more like a heading error meaning there is an angle between the actual heading and the track angle (nose not pointing along the flight path). Assuming there is a well calibrated compass (heading reference) there is no reason to believe the nose is not pointing along the track. I can only think of the camera being slightly off. Either mechanically or due to the way the yaw axis is digitally stabilized. Remember how this is done. A 1920x1080 crop of the 3840x2160 sensor is dynamically positioned to act as a digital yaw gimbal. There is no guarantee the crop is always near the center of the sensor. If there is a constant heading error observed over many flights I’d put my money on a slightly misaligned gimbal assembly.

Having the same thing with my Spark since the day I bought it. Tried to swap the propellers for the new ones, tried to recalibrate everything I could and it helped partially but due to lack of double IMU and compass it never will be perfect. Had a Mavic Air for a week or so and it did exactly the same thing. Not so noticeable but it did (also has only one compass and IMU).

Actually, Air has dual IMUs and one compass.
It can also use data from camera sensors, to assist compass (Vision Compass).

Much more stable and redundant than Spark, with much more fusion software.
Of course it isn't a pro drone, but a great Spark update (in double price though).

Reactions: monty.roman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast