Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tablet for RC Controller

I am using iphone and it works flawlessly. The downside is the screen size and the fact that i will lose baterry quite fast having only that one device for everything. I have an iPad pro wifi, would this work too, i mean without the gps then? What is the draw backs of not having gps?

What is the draw backs of not having gps?
You will not be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you don't need to use that feature, then there is no benefit to using a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver.

Ah okay thank you! I think I will do it soon. I would need some mount for ipad 9.7 right? Any suggestion of a good one? I am not in the US *quite jealous how you guys have so many stuffs easily out of Amazon etc.

Reactions: Lancelot
No worries. Caching works with any version of the DJI GO app.

After caching the maps (as shown in the video at the link above), close DJI GO and disconnect your mobile device from the Internet (so you can verify whether or not the maps were cached). Start DJI GO and display the map to see if it shows the areas you cached. If the map is gray, then tap the map orientation icon (see the screenshot below) to lock the map orientation in place (the green lock should appear on the icon). If the green lock is already displayed on the icon, then tap the icon twice to toggle the lock option off and back on. Then, restart DJI GO and check the map again. If the map is still gray, then tap that icon once more and the cached area should appear.

View attachment 810
At least trying at home, it worked. Pressing that icon make the map shown, thanks for the tip.

Yes, you'll need a tablet mount since it will not fit between the remote controller arms. Here are some commonly used tablet mount brands:
Thank you very much for all the suggestions.
I am leaning towards those that is not on top or over the remote but something that can be adjusted to be over and below the remote, if that makes any sense? :D
So not the dirtyj, fstop, or pgytech.
My assumptions is that hooshion and skytreat can be tilted down at the rc plate part and tilted up on the ipad side?
Like this I mean (sorry for the bad powerpoint photoshop haha)
mavsp.png mavsp2.png

Would Mavmount be able to do this too, with that ball thing? But why is this one so dang expensive compared to the rest?

Thanks for the info. I think Im gonna go with the Skyreat or Hooshion. I cant justify the double price of mavmount.

I cant justify the double price of mavmount.
It's pricey, but people sure do love them. I haven't had the chance to try one yet.

Ah ok, do you know why they choose it over the others?

Thank you very much for all the suggestions.
I am leaning towards those that is not on top or over the remote but something that can be adjusted to be over and below the remote, if that makes any sense? :D
So not the dirtyj, fstop, or pgytech.
My assumptions is that hooshion and skytreat can be tilted down at the rc plate part and tilted up on the ipad side?
Like this I mean (sorry for the bad powerpoint photoshop haha)
View attachment 836 View attachment 837

Would Mavmount be able to do this too, with that ball thing? But why is this one so dang expensive compared to the rest?

My question would be why would you like to avoid mounting over the Remote Controller? MavMount has been designed to keep all of the weight over the center of gravity of the RC so that it is comfortable in your hands. When you distribute the weight so far below (or above the top) the RC becomes far out of balance which makes it quite uncomfortable to fight the weight of the RC when flying.

Ah ok, do you know why they choose it over the others?
I know some people like it because it can be connected to a lot of different tablet holders. Others like the high quality look/finish.

My question would be why would you like to avoid mounting over the Remote Controller? MavMount has been designed to keep all of the weight over the center of gravity of the RC so that it is comfortable in your hands. When you distribute the weight so far below (or above the top) the RC becomes far out of balance which makes it quite uncomfortable to fight the weight of the RC when flying.
Good point. I guess I have to indeed see and feel it first thats why I kinda like the adjustable one, which means I can have it over the RC and also below RC. I prefer it to be below simply because it felt awkward to have something floating over it. and by having it below, it would feel more compact, more "a whole".

I know some people like it because it can be connected to a lot of different tablet holders. Others like the high quality look/finish.
Alright, i am not really into different tablet holder and not bothered by the finish so i guess i am probably going for the cheaper one :) thanks a lot for your insights. your links are superb btw!

Lmao... I laugh at the replies about apple being better with DJI products than android... well compare the apple devices to the Galaxy range of Samsung and you will find android is much better to use. Currently using an S8+ and never once had any issues. If you take off in att mode or without a solid GPS home point then yeah if it loses connection for some reason it will fly away. I mean who knows where it saved it's GPS point. And usually fly a ways with the spark are within 2km as it usually has a GPS location somewhere around it. If you do things properly and slowly you will never have any issues. I've even hit the back button by mistake on the app but have had no issues reopening the app and getting connected but I always use otg and rely on DJI controller signal performance like the rc was intended for.

Umm no the otg was not how it is intended to be used for. Some says DJI will stop this feature in future releases/ updates. Hopefully not soon as my otg cable is still on the way haha!

Btw no one in this thread were hating on android, only stating the facts. And at this moment, more people are actually getting better and stabler connection with apple. If you are happy with your android, no one asks you to change it to apple.

It is designed off the Mavic controller in every way bar the LCD screen. Otg was always going to be a feature for it but mainly for developers and firmware updates without internet connection. They disable it then they have to deal with people with weak wifi signals being really restricted and not meeting their advertisement, only real issue is Apple's policies and to get around it they say it is unsupported which keeps Apple big wigs happy so they don't freak out think DJI will reverse hack or open a back door to havkers. That can become costly. And I'm finding with the spark it can handle terrain avoidance and way points like the Mavic if you use 4.1.3 v25 DJI Go4 app. We just need DJI to unlock it officially.

Last edited:
Anyone try the Galaxy Tab S2 8Inch?
Me at first as it is the one I use for my Phantom. As being under CE settings, the 5.8G channels selected by DJI are invisible to that tablet as many other android devices. So I didn't used it long with the Spark, rest was working fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers