Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tablet for RC Controller

Well I've flown almost 50/50 with my iPhone 6+ and my Acer Iconia and I am shopping for an iPad mini with GPS. The iPhone does everything better, has the latest app version and battery lasts for days. The Iconia battery does not even lay a day on standby for some reason. The only advantage to the Iconia is screen size and uSD slot. GO4 hangs frequently on the droid and is still not the latest version and the wifi lock with the RC is not nearly as good as it is with my iPhone.
So did you get that mini? Do you see a big difference with the 6+? I was thinking of picking up a used 6+ as I'm a bit fed up with the issues on my Android smartphones.

I wish my note 8 would work..... I tried it with Wi-Fi and lost video signal at 1200 ft away and 275ft up that said it came home on its own. I tried the regular charging cable it comes with as an otg with a C adapter on the regular usb end and it just charged my controller from my phone(the app did not find my controller).... I ordered an actual OTG cable as I heard from some the cable can make the difference. I will never ever ever..... ever buy an apple device so I hope DJI will update the issue with the newest android phablet. If not i may buy a samsung note 4 as it appears to run seamlessly, has a large bright screen and can handle the app..... best of all its not an apple product (my hate for Apple's closed system runs deep....).

(my hate for Apple's closed system runs deep....).
IMO the reason why DJI platforms run more reliable/stable on IOS is because of Apple's "closed sytem" and the fact that their (Apple's) operation system (IOS) isn't spread across 200+ various hardware configurations.

*Disclaimer...I am NOT an Apple Fanboy! :)

IMO the reason why DJI platforms run more reliable/stable on IOS is because of Apple's "closed sytem" and the fact that their (Apple's) operation system (IOS) isn't spread across 200+ various hardware configurations.

*Disclaimer...I am NOT an Apple Fanboy! :)
I understand.... I won't feed the system though no matter what. I would rather sell my spark! Lol. Seriously..... I was going to buy a matterport 3d camera for 3.5k and I did not because it requires an iPad as the remote. I will probably just end up buying a used note 4 until DJI can update the App.

I understand.... I won't feed the system though no matter what. I would rather sell my spark! Lol. Seriously..... I was going to buy a matterport 3d camera for 3.5k and I did not because it requires an iPad as the remote. I will probably just end up buying a used note 4 until DJI can update the App.
LOL...Wow, you are dead against Apple. I commend you for "standing your ground".

Reactions: mikep2323
So I have an update. My new cable works with my note 8! I initially powered everything up and nothing happened..... then I turned on the wifi and connected to the controller. I then unplugged the cable from the remote side and plugged it back in and the note 8 asked me which app I wanted to use and I picked dji go 4 and it worked. I then disconnected from wifi and it stayed on working perfectly. I want to try the distance except we got a cold front here in central Florida and its cold, super windy and drizzling (maybe even snow on Wednesday). So perhaps tomorrow will be a better day to test the distance safely.

After experiencing problems with compatibility between DJI Go and my Nvidia Shield K1, I went ahead and bought the iPad Pro. I didn’t want to risk losing my investment in the Spark and Mavic Pro just because DJI gives preference to Apple products. IMHO, the iPad Pro heas a clearer, brighter display than even DJI’s Crystal Sky monitor, as well as being an absolutely killer video editing platform.

the iPad Pro heas a clearer, brighter display than even DJI’s Crystal Sky monitor
Until it gets in sunlight. Don't get me wrong I've been using an iPad for years with all my DJI crap, but I just moved up to CS.

I like my setup now with the Galaxy note 8..... I am a rookie when it comes to my Spark though.... I owned the phantom 2 and the phantom 2 V.2. I had them both setup with a Kumbacam advanced FPV kit and a Hero 3 black. My Spark with the Note 8 blows that setup away...... That said I'm still a rookie with the spark and today I flew up to take some photos.... it was on P mode however I had no flight data on my screen (it all said N/A). It had GPS however no return home button was on my screen so I had to bring it back manually and land manually from a half mile out. Not sure if it was a setting i was flying on or what as my flight record shows the data. I was playing with it indoors yesterday doing palm launch and gesture controls....it was not showing me altitude indoors and I figured that was normal for indoors but it stayed that way when I went up outside today..... what gives?

Until it gets in sunlight. Don't get me wrong I've been using an iPad for years with all my DJI crap, but I just moved up to CS.

I have never been a Apple fan, and I was also convinced that the iPads were inferior (to the Crystal Sky) under direct sunlight, until I actually viewed the iPad pro screen under direct, full, midday sunlight for myself. The iPad pro screen is very different from, uh, "non-pro" apple tablets, and you'll find it to be every bit as clear in direct sunlight as a printed page. These things are seriously the best view under bright, midday sun, that I have ever seen, better even than e-ink, since the iPad offers full color with no discernable pixel lag, and unbelievable contrast.

I was headed for an iPad mini, since these fit the controller, but I didn't like its full-sunlight performance, so the Crystal Sky was heading for my shopping list, but when I saw this youTube video, my opinion quickly changed:

The video host compares various phones, tablets, and Crystal Sky under full sunlight, the only two comparable images being produce by the Crystal Sky, and the iPad Pro. That is until the host reveals that the test wasn't displaying the iPad Pro's full brightness.

At 1:09 in the video, he admits this, the turns up the brightness in the iPad, and it blew away the Crystal Sky, IMHO, hands down.

That video made my decision for me; the Crystal Sky was out, the iPad was in, and the one I hold in my hands is unbelievably clear and bright, even in full, direct sunlight.

Selecting sunlight readable screens is one of my top priorities professionally, since I need industrial touch panel screens to be highly visible in outdoor or driller's cabin installations for energy, oil and gas equipment. Some of these panels cost upwards of $15000.00, and their sunlight visibility is excellent, but the iPad Pro display blows these away, once again being the best I have seen EVER, and I only hope industrial panel PC and monitor manufacturers can employ similar technologies soon!

Anyway, I would hate to contribute to any "buyer's remorse" you may feel when you discover this fact to be true, but regardless, the Crystal Sky is a solid, good choice, with super-excellent sunlight readability. It's just not as good as the IPP, and I wanted a "display" that could perform other functions when my DJI drones were at rest in their cases.

Last edited:
Wow!

Fifteen Thousand Dollars??

Sounds like a government contract price ;).

Not just government; oil and gas hardware is just unbelievably over-priced.

Yeah, the prices of the Azonics industrial panel pc's, for example, are just stupid, and they're really low-spec compared to consumer-grade devices.

$15 grand is the starting price of their 15" base models (higher-end processors. You can get a really cheap 12" units for around $9000.00)

Sunlight readability easily adds $1000.00+ to their base prices, and if you spec any other add-ons, hold on to your hat!

We don't use these unless the customer demands them, going to less expensive Advantech or Beckhoff (no sunlight readable screens from Beckhoff, yet) panels starting at $3000.00.

So I researched the issue I am having with my spark and the n/a on the battery, gps satellites...... Apparently a lot of people are having these issues after the last two app updates. Apparently DJI is trying to stop or limit OTG use for whatever reason (a popular theory is that Sparks being so good are hurting Mavic and P4 sales so making the spark not that great will help sell their more expensive birds). Anyway a lot of people are fixing it by uninstalling the updates (not sure how they do that as I believe the devices need to be rooted and that seems complicated). I devoted most of my day to figuring out quickbooks online so I'm all techd out.... DJI please fix this for us. No reason we should not be allowed to connect directly to our RC.

Did anyone else get an update yesterday? I just bought my spark a couple of weeks ago so naturally I updated it right away. I was having some issue with the video feed cutting out at around 1200 ft in distance (250 ft up). So yesterday I powered it up and it said inconsistent software found update now. I did the update and flew 4300 ft over the water with no transmission issues on WiFi on my my Galaxy note 8 (connected to RC via wifi)So I think they may have fixed a bug. I think they just made the otg cable I just bought obsolete :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe