Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tablet with Spark question

Glumone

Join
Aug 1, 2017
Loc
Boston, Ma
in order to use a tablet with the spark drone does the tablet have to have LTE or can it be WIFI only? My thought is if only WIFI then would still need to use a phone as the mobile hotspot but just trying to verify this.

With a Wi-Fi only device, the only feature you'd lose is the ability to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you have no reason to do that, then a Wi-Fi only device will work just fine for you.

Reactions: TrooperDrone
With a Wi-Fi only device, the only feature you'd lose is the ability to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you have no reason to do that, then a Wi-Fi only device will work just fine for you.

If the tablet doesn't have a builtin GPS support, the map view and related features on DJI GO4 won't work at all, right?

The aircraft's position on the map is retrieved from the Spark's internal GPS receiver. That GPS receiver is still active no matter which mobile device you're using.

in order to use a tablet with the spark drone does the tablet have to have LTE or can it be WIFI only? My thought is if only WIFI then would still need to use a phone as the mobile hotspot but just trying to verify this.
It can be either. I use the WiFi because that's all the iPad has.

I don't understand, this limitation. How does the presence or not of mobile data connection (LTE/4G or whatever) on the controlling device affect the ability to reset the home point after taking off? If the mobile device is being used to control the Spark then can't it send this information over WiFi. And if you're using the Spark controller, then can't the mobile device send the information to the controller which then sends that to the Spark?

If I don't have the location turned on on my phone, I can't get any map data...so I don't see how the map info and current location can work without mobile data?

If I don't have the location turned on on my phone, I can't get any map data...so I don't see how the map info and current location can work without mobile data?
A WiFi only mobile device can still have onboard GPS. E.g. my WiFi only Nexus 7 tablet has onboard GPS. As for map data, I'm not sure how the app works but if you're trying to reset the home location to the current location (of the mobile device) then I don't see why it needs map data, it would just take the current GPS coordinates.

I tried my Nexus 7 wifi only tablet with my spark and when I was connected to my home WiFi I was able to see the map with all the details as soon as I was away from the Wi-Fi I could not see any details on the map

I tried my Nexus 7 wifi only tablet with my spark and when I was connected to my home WiFi I was able to see the map with all the details as soon as I was away from the Wi-Fi I could not see any details on the map
I'm lacking experience of using the actual app but not sure why you need to view the map while you're flying the Spark. Surely you should keep the drone in direct eye sight anyway so no need for a map. And GPS points can still be recorded even without maps. You can then plot those points on a map when you get back on Internet connection.

Sure, you don't need to view the map to fly the spark...so for you a wifi only device is fine

How does the presence or not of mobile data connection (LTE/4G or whatever) on the controlling device affect the ability to reset the home point after taking off?
The cellular connection is not used/needed to set/reset the home point. It could be used to download the maps though (so you can see where the home point is set on the map). Or you could just cache the maps in DJI GO before you head out to fly.

The home point can be reset to the Spark's current location at anytime (no matter the mobile device) since that location is obtained from the Spark's internet GPS receiver. If you'd like to reset the home point to your current location (the mobile device's current location), then you'll need to use a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver.

not sure why you need to view the map while you're flying the Spark
Here are a few scenarios where I found the map to be useful:
  • You can see the home point location on the map
  • It's useful when trying to follow something on the ground (e.g. a road)

The cellular connection is not used/needed to set/reset the home point. It could be used to download the maps though (so you can see where the home point is set on the map). Or you could just cache the maps in DJI GO before you head out to fly.

The home point can be reset to the Spark's current location at anytime (no matter the mobile device) since that location is obtained from the Spark's internet GPS receiver. If you'd like to reset the home point to your current location (the mobile device's current location), then you'll need to use a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver.
This make sense. So the only feature you'll miss by a mobile device with no mobile data connection is the map view. Not a big issue.

I think I'd prefer this as I'd want to use my Nexus 7 which is WiFi only. Bigger screen and all. Plus my phone has a lot of other apps on there that could just get in the way while I was flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme