Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Terrible sport mode crash disaster

Join
Sep 1, 2018
I have been having my spark for a week now and I had my first crash yesterday.
I was flying indoors from room to room, but the drone kept stopping itself due to forward collision detection, so I had to turn around and fly backwards in most cases to get in and out of doors.

Now..the tragedy...even flying in reverse was smooth but i got a bit annoyed and switched to sport mode, which I have flown only in open air..

The breaking distance was out of my calculation and whaaam...it slammed on my bathroom's door and dropped about 2 foot away. And for the record, prop guards were NOT on

But luck played his part...not a scratch...on the drone...yes you heard me...the drone was mint...

I just took a quick flight outside, checked the gimbal, camera...prop condition..all seemed good.

Later i noted the door of my bathroom was a fibre based one and I had a thick carpet right below it..which might be the saviour...

Word of advice...never...ever use sports mode indoors...u cannot control.... And fly sports mode at real high altitudes, safe from trees... You can never predict the way it moves based on weather conditions...

In the end , all looks good..DJI rocks for the solid construct...and happy flying sparkies

For indoors, maybe use tripod mode to control speed and if possible and comfortable, turn of obstacle avoidance

Sport mode is fun but it makes me very nervous. I have had my Spark for about a year and 1/2 and I never use "sport mode" because
number one I live in the mountains, trees are everywhere, and
number two it flies so fast I lose sight of Spark.
If you're flying in "Sport mode" it's fun but dangerous.

By the way, I would highly recommend the replacement insurance policy offered by DJI. My spark was attacked by an Eagle at which point the spark fell straight to the ground on a huge flat rock. You guessed it, feathers everywhere and broken Spark everywhere as well. Unfortunately, I did not have my video engaged to record what would've been an amazing video. DJI replaced my spark with no problems or questions. Highly recommend this precautionary investment.

Reactions: Coral Rock
I have 3 other cheaper drones I take chances with, flying indoors or around trees but I NEVER take chances with my Spark!
But sport mode is so fun!

I have been having my spark for a week now and I had my first crash yesterday.
I was flying indoors from room to room, but the drone kept stopping itself due to forward collision detection, so I had to turn around and fly backwards in most cases to get in and out of doors.

Now..the tragedy...even flying in reverse was smooth but i got a bit annoyed and switched to sport mode, which I have flown only in open air..

The breaking distance was out of my calculation and whaaam...it slammed on my bathroom's door and dropped about 2 foot away. And for the record, prop guards were NOT on

But luck played his part...not a scratch...on the drone...yes you heard me...the drone was mint...

I just took a quick flight outside, checked the gimbal, camera...prop condition..all seemed good.

Later i noted the door of my bathroom was a fibre based one and I had a thick carpet right below it..which might be the saviour...

Word of advice...never...ever use sports mode indoors...u cannot control.... And fly sports mode at real high altitudes, safe from trees... You can never predict the way it moves based on weather conditions...

In the end , all looks good..DJI rocks for the solid construct...and happy flying sparkies

read page 9 in the manual , when in sport mode forward obstacle sensing is disable .

It occurs to me that I've also turned on sport mode only to turn off obstacle avoidance. I'm now wondering if I should (and if it's possible) to map a RC key to turn it on/off instead of activating sport mode which is a little dicey and dangerous outside; can't imagine doing it inside. :) Glad your Spark is okay.

I'm now wondering if I should (and if it's possible) to map a RC key to turn it on/off instead of activating sport mode which is a little dicey and dangerous outside; can't imagine doing it inside

A couple of taps in the Go4 app and you can disable the obstacle avoidance.

No need to switch to Sport mode.

I launch with it on and once I'm clear of the tree tops, I turn it OFF to fly the Spark a little faster, but not as fast as Sport mode.

Reactions: Coral Rock
Sport mode is fun but it makes me very nervous. I have had my Spark for about a year and 1/2 and I never use "sport mode" because
number one I live in the mountains, trees are everywhere, and
number two it flies so fast I lose sight of Spark.
If you're flying in "Sport mode" it's fun but dangerous.

By the way, I would highly recommend the replacement insurance policy offered by DJI. My spark was attacked by an Eagle at which point the spark fell straight to the ground on a huge flat rock. You guessed it, feathers everywhere and broken Spark everywhere as well. Unfortunately, I did not have my video engaged to record what would've been an amazing video. DJI replaced my spark with no problems or questions. Highly recommend this precautionary investment.
I am in India and my friend bought it from malasia for me. DJI as of now has no official support in India, so if it's broken, bury it up

Reactions: quad
if you turn the obstacle avoidance system off the spark will go a little faster in P mode , only turn obstacle avoidance system off when you are in an area that is open and no obstacles are in your flight path .

Some one please tell me what 8s tripod mode and where i can use that

It's one of the enhanced modes like active track, drone, etc.

September 20, 2018 13833 PM EDT.jpg

And this menu should pop up.

Screenshot_20180404-164635.png

I highly recommend using prop guards indoors, not only to protect people, but prevent crashes. I was doing indoor training with my spark in a gymnasium and the guy I was training did not know left from right and took only 28 seconds to contact a wall at about 7 feet in height, at which time it dropped to the floor breaking off an arm at the motor base. With prop guards it would have kept flying.

This is my indoor trainer. It can hit anything and take right back off. And it is small enough you don't have to worrie about breaking anything around the house.

Attachments

• IMG_20180920_172535.jpg
    IMG_20180920_172535.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 31
Sorry if this sounds pedantic, but duuuuuhh :rolleyes:

Glad your Spark is OK though and you didn't learn the lesson the hard way.

I highly recommend using prop guards indoors, not only to protect people, but prevent crashes. I was doing indoor training with my spark in a gymnasium and the guy I was training did not know left from right and took only 28 seconds to contact a wall at about 7 feet in height, at which time it dropped to the floor breaking off an arm at the motor base. With prop guards it would have kept flying.
Were you able to repair the arm?

I fly my spark FPV inside my house with prop guards on and obstacle avoidance set to off. DJI GO 4 still gives you obstacle warning and how close to obstacle but will not stop to avoid crashing. I hit walls and ceiling but spark manage to stay afloat thanks to prop guards. I fly with them all the time.

I have been having my spark for a week now and I had my first crash yesterday....

Oh dear, just echoing everyone elses comments, Unless you live in a giant empty stadium type building, forget flying indoors. It would most likely keep dropping out of GPS mode and into ATTI mode so it won't hold position, not good with walls and doors everywhere! lol
Pretty sure that sport mode also disables collision avoidance too... Only tried sport mode once outdoors and it was just stupid, crazy fast, don't really see the point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh