Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

The relationship of direction indicator

Andy-Spark

Join
May 22, 2019
Loc
Bangkok Thailand
D2F0BFC5-4A92-4C42-A75B-4FE1D9A78274.pngHi can anyone tell me the relation ship between the direction icon on the phone screen when the drone is in flight as I read a recent ATTI mode flyaway would be good to know which way the Drone is pointing . I have been flying for six months living in Bangkok . Had to go through a long process but now I am Legally licensed and insured . There are some harsh penalties here jail and large fines but it seems to be scare tactics any way I am legal now .. The flight I have shown I will not fly again as there was a lot of compass error and I had to recalibrate . The return to home was marked but in the end it was not accurate and I had to manually land it on critical power. The small icon I was mentioning is live even after the Drone is disconnected must be a compass ?

The last one was a much better take off spot and much less iron to give compass error . Once the compass is calibrated and passed can it be effected in flight ? Ok thanks

Reactions: rhettduke
Here is a short video to help explain the attitude indicator.

I use the indicator all of the time to help me with the orientation of the Spark during flight.

You're right, it's inverse. I imagine DJI did it that way because it would be easier for a novice to determine the direction the aircraft is banking rather than its relation to the horizon as seen from the pilot's perspective.
Yes, it works the same (as an aircraft) for pitch, but is reversed for roll. Took me a bit to get that sorted.

View attachment 11922Hi can anyone tell me the relation ship between the direction icon on the phone screen when the drone is in flight as I read a recent ATTI mode flyaway would be good to know which way the Drone is pointing . I have been flying for six months living in Bangkok . Had to go through a long process but now I am Legally licensed and insured . There are some harsh penalties here jail and large fines but it seems to be scare tactics any way I am legal now .. The flight I have shown I will not fly again as there was a lot of compass error and I had to recalibrate . The return to home was marked but in the end it was not accurate and I had to manually land it on critical power. The small icon I was mentioning is live even after the Drone is disconnected must be a compass ?

The last one was a much better take off spot and much less iron to give compass error . Once the compass is calibrated and passed can it be effected in flight ? Ok thanks

Andy-Spark,
Nice clear video, although for someone who has been flying for 6 months, the video is rather jerky, need to be more gentle on the sticks for much better results though, IMO ?

Andy-Spark,
Nice clear video, although for someone who has been flying for 6 months, the video is rather jerky, need to be more gentle on the sticks for much better results though, IMO ?
I am not sure the sticks movement is doing that but will take your advice I still consider myself learning after six months . I am always a bit anxious as you know things can go wrong and it did go a bit sideways on yesterdays flight .
Was on the landing phase .
I was on RTH and you know when the distance = zero the aircraft starts to descend . Then I roll the camera to look directly down and see if its going to hit the point . In the video you will see it is not .
It showed me I must take over and do it manual landing faster . Could have been worse . I got stuck under a ledge . Also because I am in Bangkok another point to cause some anxiety (I have a license and insurance ) at last took forever .
There are large fines and even jail for not being licensed . I think its scare tactics a knee jerk reaction . I see in Singapore no license and no insurance fly where you may . So why did the Spark not hit the spot . I did the compass thing and passed ok . Was a little windy on the day . Flying in cities where there are lots of steel like bridges etc could affect .
I did like the shot flying backwards and up so have not lost my enthusiasm and this group helps that .. Ok thanks

flight?

I am not sure the sticks movement is doing that but will take your advice I still consider myself learning after six months . I am always a bit anxious as you know things can go wrong and it did go a bit sideways on yesterdays flight .
Was on the landing phase .
I was on RTH and you know when the distance = zero the aircraft starts to descend . Then I roll the camera to look directly down and see if its going to hit the point . In the video you will see it is not .
It showed me I must take over and do it manual landing faster . Could have been worse . I got stuck under a ledge . Also because I am in Bangkok another point to cause some anxiety (I have a license and insurance ) at last took forever .
There are large fines and even jail for not being licensed . I think its scare tactics a knee jerk reaction . I see in Singapore no license and no insurance fly where you may . So why did the Spark not hit the spot . I did the compass thing and passed ok . Was a little windy on the day . Flying in cities where there are lots of steel like bridges etc could affect .
I did like the shot flying backwards and up so have not lost my enthusiasm and this group helps that .. Ok thanks

flight?

Lucky I suppose I always have the prop guards on and they saved the day put it down to experience and will take action much faster next time . Have to remain calm when its squawking critical power and all that . What to do hit the X and then can take over and reposition then land ? I would think reposition and bring it down to as low as possible then land using the RTH button but the aircraft at that stage being close to the ground would just land right ?

BC957213-9C61-4B16-8362-E0652FB47F0B.png

You have to consider the altitude you have previously designated for RTH. The Spark will ascend to that altitude, then set a course for the home point, then descend for landing. The precision with which the Spark returns to the takeoff point depends on your having gotten a notification that the home point was acknowledged after takeoff. The VPS should have noted the takeoff point and will reference it when returning. There is always a +/- tolerance, but if you can return to the takeoff point within a couple of feet or so, you've done good. At any point during the flight, you can hit the Pause button and sort things out. If needed, you can take manual control and fly it to touchdown manually. Same goes after hitting RTH, you can Pause, then select Land and guide it down as needed. The Spark camera does not pitch down a full 90 degrees, but it will be close.

Reactions: Andy-Spark
You have to consider the altitude you have previously designated for RTH. The Spark will ascend to that altitude, then set a course for the home point, then descend for landing. The precision with which the Spark returns to the takeoff point depends on your having gotten a notification that the home point was acknowledged after takeoff. The VPS should have noted the takeoff point and will reference it when returning. There is always a +/- tolerance, but if you can return to the takeoff point within a couple of feet or so, you've done good. At any point during the flight, you can hit the Pause button and sort things out. If needed, you can take manual control and fly it to touchdown manually. Same goes after hitting RTH, you can Pause, then select Land and guide it down as needed. The Spark camera does not pitch down a full 90 degrees, but it will be close.
Thanks for that great information

Just one more thing is the pause button (that is on the radio controller) having the same effect as the X that appears on the screen go4 app . I can test that but just like to hear your idea are they virtually one and the same in function ?

There is a small difference. Depends on the function you are using. In case of RTH, the function of Pause and X are more or less same. In case of QuickShots, pause will simply pause the function. X will exit the function. The pause button on the RC is basically an emergency stop button. No matter what function you are using, the pause button will stop the AC to a steady hover.

There is a small difference. Depends on the function you are using. In case of RTH, the function of Pause and X are more or less same. In case of QuickShots, pause will simply pause the function. X will exit the function. The pause button on the RC is basically an emergency stop button. No matter what function you are using, the pause button will stop the AC to a steady hover.
Much appreciated I am slow well so far I have survived posting my latest flight today and some ideas I have learned re pause and X buttons

Ok I have been having some moments in RTH and now I don't wait till I am getting a critical battery alert but rather return a bit before that happens . This for me removes some of the previous problems of getting panicky . Also now I can take over and manually land it if needed . Hitting the X stops the landing and also stops the beeping sound if I remember . I know I have been flying for a while but just now am starting to feel more relaxed . So adding editing . Part of the problem was waiting to be fully legal here in Thailand . They do talk about harsh penalties although I have never even been looked at . I would not fly in a not fly zone like an airport of course / military / palace but the spark is so small its almost not seen ok thanks again . UAV forecast says its a good day to fly so maybe

You're doing great with the videos, keep them coming. You caught the sun so well in that last video, nice job ? Yeah, I like to call bingo and head back to my home point before I'm under 30% as a minimum, more depending on the Spark's location & wind. I pushed it a couple of times and after a good hit or two of adrenaline I soon made it a requirement when flying.

Reactions: rhettduke
I still consider myself learning after six months......

in my humble opinion......
when we quit learning...Well......I took off from inside my truck tonight......sunroof open.....palm launch of a Tello.....flight went pretty good.....dang tinted windows that didn’t roll down were an issue......I stepped out and ended up landing not quite level into the roof rack......

Tello wasn’t hurt......neither was my pride.......and I’m sure I learned something......Thankfull to have a Tello to practice such moves with.....

Learning to defy logic and gravity one flight at the time.....

Keep Learning !!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: RotorWash
You're doing great with the videos, keep them coming. You caught the sun so well in that last video, nice job ? Yeah, I like to call bingo and head back to my home point before I'm under 30% as a minimum, more depending on the Spark's location & wind. I pushed it a couple of times and after a good hit or two of adrenaline I soon made it a requirement when flying.
Thanks for the feed back on that one . I am encouraged by your comments and well I was a bit premature on the sunset but we are going to the beach and will fly there .

Reactions: RotorWash
I still consider myself learning after six months......

in my humble opinion......
when we quit learning...Well......I took off from inside my truck tonight......sunroof open.....palm launch of a Tello.....flight went pretty good.....dang tinted windows that didn’t roll down were an issue......I stepped out and ended up landing not quite level into the roof rack......

Tello wasn’t hurt......neither was my pride.......and I’m sure I learned something......Thankfull to have a Tello to practice such moves with.....

Learning to defy logic and gravity one flight at the time.....

Keep Learning !!!!!
Well I have had moments landing that where not perfect was that using RTH I now know to not entirely rely on the auto feature of RTH and will cancel and do it manually if need be. Did you create a video of the flight ? Was it a night flight ? post it if you can

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar