Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Third party software?

bdee1

Join
Jul 26, 2018
Hi everyone. I have been doing a little reading and have found that some people are using third party apps (instead of dji go app) to fly their drone. I have heard about litchi, and i knwo that at least one other exists.

I am interested in hearing some feedback from others who are using third party apps. It sounds like one of the big draws to litchi is the ability to use waypoints. Are there any other big advantages, and if so what are they and what is the use case?

I actually really like to dji go app so far but I am very new to this (only had my spark for a few weeks), so I just want to make sure i understand all the available options.

Litchi is really growing on me, but it still go back occasionally to DJIGO. You are right, the big plus to Litchi is the waypoint but also the Orbit mode. I wanted a subscription to AirData and the discount I got for buying Litchi paid for the app itself. You can now select a wifi channel in Litchi, but it does not have the spectrum analyzer that DJI has. Also I find the ability to view pictures or video in Litchi very limited. All in all...was it worth $23....yep it sure was.

Airdata, which makes Litchi is in the software business. Software is their main business, not a sideline. Litchi seems to do everything I want it to do. I really like not having to clear message windows for: firmware updates/software updates/heliport at the hospital 3 miles away EVERY TIME I want to fly. I have been using Litchi for about a month and don't see any reason I would ever use anything else.

I’ve owned Litchi for over 2 years, and use it exclusively for autonomous waypoint flights with my Phantom(s). Otherwise, the DJI GO app is what I use (and trust) the most. Most people who use Litchi, do so because of the waypoint mode feature. Otherwise, I don’t see any real advantage to using a 3rd party app that has a higher propensity to be glitchy. DJI software engineers create the most reliable, tested and modified app for our quads. I trust them the most....

Hi bdee1, I’ve just started using Litchi since it added waypoints for Spark this week. I’ve flown 3 waypoint missions that behaved as planned and turned out great.

I’ve also used Hangar 360 to do panoramic shots. Very easy to use and I’m happy with the result. The only drawback is you can share the photos but you can’t download them.

use it exclusively for autonomous waypoint flights

That is exactly what I use it for - not exclusively "instead of DJI GO 4"
Litchi for patterns I can not manually replicate or location I cannot reach with the controller.
DJI GO 4 for flights within the controller range flying manually.

Reactions: FollyFly
Hi everyone. I have been doing a little reading and have found that some people are using third party apps (instead of dji go app) to fly their drone. I have heard about litchi, and i knwo that at least one other exists.

I am interested in hearing some feedback from others who are using third party apps. It sounds like one of the big draws to litchi is the ability to use waypoints. Are there any other big advantages, and if so what are they and what is the use case?

I actually really like to dji go app so far but I am very new to this (only had my spark for a few weeks), so I just want to make sure i understand all the available options.
I don't understand you guys who have to use 3rd party software. You purchase a dji drone for hundreds of dollars, then use other software. I spoke to dji and I was told if I use 3rd party software and crash then they will not be responsible for repair And all they need to do is look at the aircraft log.

I don't understand you guys who have to use 3rd party software. You purchase a dji drone for hundreds of dollars, then use other software. I spoke to dji and I was told if I use 3rd party software and crash then they will not be responsible for repair And all they need to do is look at the aircraft log.

Waypoints outweigh the risks
To have an automated program repeat your functions any time you need is a huge plus.
With home made drones, this is what waypoints can accomplish over time - exact same flight path each time:
If DJI would just give the Spark waypoints which it is quite capable of doing...we would be OK.

And with way points the ac needn't be in controller range. The aircraft continues mission until its complete, or low battery initiates RTH as a failsafe.

To have an automated program repeat your functions any time you need is a huge plus.
With home made drones, this is what waypoints can accomplish over time - exact same flight path each time:
If DJI would just give the Spark waypoints which it is quite capable of doing...we would be OK.

Awesome video. And one of my songs to live by! :cool: We were earthbound misfits, then came drones!:p

And with way points the ac needn't be in controller range. The aircraft continues mission until its complete, or low battery initiates RTH as a failsafe.

Except for AutoPilot app.
If that feature was available, I could not find it.
I always needed to be in range.

Your also not stating the fact that the rc uav is supposed to be in visual site at all times. You take a risk of using way points do you also take the risk of loss of control, property damage, or personal injury. The more accidents with the drones only causes the hobby to have more restrictions put on it. I realize that the drones have GPS but your putting a lot of trust in systems which have a lot of flaws and yet to be perfected. And then there are manned aircraft, how are you going to explain your droNE is flying in restricted airspace, and is a danger to manned aircraft. Or it takes down an aircraft with people.

Your also not stating the fact that the rc uav is supposed to be in visual site at all times. You take a risk of using way points do you also take the risk of loss of control, property damage, or personal injury. The more accidents with the drones only causes the hobby to have more restrictions put on it. I realize that the drones have GPS but your putting a lot of trust in systems which have a lot of flaws and yet to be perfected. And then there are manned aircraft, how are you going to explain your droNE is flying in restricted airspace, and is a danger to manned aircraft. Or it takes down an aircraft with people.

Dude chill.
No risk of loss of control IF you know what you are doing and expecting something to go wrong at any moment.
That is what the red STOP button is for.
DJI Drones do not fly in restricted airspace.
Litchi uses the DJI Software Developer's Kit (SDK) that follow the same rules.
Anything else?

Last edited:
Reactions: graywoulf
I use litchi and like it more and more since it supports waypoints, you might also try the modded go4 app which supports some of the mavic flight modes. it's free and a link is somewhere on this site.

Dude chill.
No risk of loss of control IF you know what you are doing and expecting something to go wrong at any moment.
That is what the red STOP button is for.
DJI Drones do not fly in restricted airspace.
Litchi uses the DJI Software Developer's Kit (SDK) that follow the same rules.
Anything else?
I've been flying for 40 years, and I'm here to tell you that they not only DO fly in restricted air space, but the also lose control very fast. Last week a pilot lost control and it slammed right into the face of a little girl, and marred her for life.

I've been flying for 40 years, and I'm here to tell you that they not only DO fly in restricted air space, but the also lose control very fast. Last week a pilot lost control and it slammed right into the face of a little girl, and marred her for life.

Yep, I know the story of the little girl...AND YOURS TOO!
BYE!

I hope and pray I never become so arrogant to use my "I've been flying for XX years" or "I have xxx flight hours"
Total BS - just be real

So glad there is an ignore feature.

Incidentally, if you count the first model rocket I flew at 5 years old...guess I have been flying for 46 years...so... :eek::eek::eek::p

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar