Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

USB remote/phone connection exasperation

dnluce

Join
Nov 30, 2018
I have been flying with a wifi connection between my phone and the remote with little trouble, but would like to try the USB route for comparison.
However...
I've been trying to connect my Pixel 3xl Android v 9 with my remote, and aside from the remote getting recharged from the phone, no success. DJI Go 4 doesn't "see" the USB connection when the phone wifi is off. The phone indicates the USB is controlled by the connected device and won't make the switch to being controlled by the phone. The cable is only a few inches long and uses no adapters. Any thoughts?

Please note Andre's reply.

It has to be an OTG cable specifically which is wired differently from a standard USB cable. I had similar difficulties until I ordered the right cable from this seller on EBAY.

I have been using it with a Pixel 2XL phone with no issues... works well.

I don't think my cable is otg rated. Thanks to you both for the guidance. Now I'm curious to learn exactly what makes a cable otg capable. Bandwidth? Bidirectional?

Reactions: Andre Levite
I don't think my cable is otg rated. Thanks to you both for the guidance. Now I'm curious to learn exactly what makes a cable otg capable. Bandwidth? Bidirectional?

When I first discovered that standard USB cables were different than OTG I also wondered about the differences.

I got a few paragraphs into the technical explanation and discovered it was the most UN-interesting topic I'd ever encountered.

Let me know if you can make it through this article. LOL

OTG Cable (wiki)

From the web:
USB On-The-Go, often abbreviated to USB OTG or just OTG, is a specification first used in late 2001 that allows USB devices, such as tablets or smartphones, to act as a host, allowing other USB devices, such as USB flash drives, digital cameras, mice or keyboards, to be attached to them.

There is an extra pin which designates one end as a host and the other as a client. You can also get a short OTG adapter for a couple of bucks which accomplishes the same purpose but is clunkier as you still need the regular USB cable. This one is from Fry's Electronics:

Simplified explanation:
Otg usb cable has polarity.
On the host end, there is connected one pin more than the normal cable.

**Edit**
I was writing together with Sparky4222

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex