Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Using Spark via USB (OTG) cable [Android]

Can you put a link to the type of cable that you are using so I can hook up my iPhone 7 plus to the Spark RC.
Thanks
I'm using a Phantom 4 OTG adapter. My setup looks like this:

OTG-Cable.jpg

Last edited:
Serious question. What happens when you want to fly with the DJI Goggles? They use that micro-USB port to connect, so I think the phone will be forced to go over wifi.

Serious question. What happens when you want to fly with the DJI Goggles? They use that micro-USB port to connect, so I think the phone will be forced to go over wifi.
as @msinger stated, "you'll need to use wifi". Please keep in mind that DJI has made no mention ANYWHERE of the OTG method of flying. Along with the fact that over on the DJI forum a Moderator has opened stated that the DJI goggles were NOT ready for use on the Spark, well we know that's incorrect.

You'll need to connect your mobile device via Wi-Fi.
Serious? That sounds complex.
I thought you just plug the microusb from the controller and into the one of the ports in the DJI goggles.
Why would you still need your mobile device when you have the physical controls and you have FPV inside the goggles....

I thought you just plug the microusb from the controller and into the one of the ports in the DJI goggles.
Why would you still need your mobile device when you have the physical controls and you have FPV inside the goggles....
Not very complex...its the reverse of how we fly with the goggles & the Mavic.

You can do that too if you don't want to use a mobile device.

Ac

I just confirmed on my machine that once your connect the goggles (or anything really) through the micro-USB port the wifi between the remote and mobile device shuts off. So you can only view on one device - goggles or mobile device. With the new firmware issue you probably have to launch DJI Go 4 on your mobile device first and then connect the goggles to clear the NFZ limitation.

Reactions: Ian
Think a USB Splitter would work??? or would it have different outputs for the Goggles Vs the Phone? Possibly clog up the 1 port with input from both Goggles and Phone?

Does anyone have the Mavic pro's rc cable and tried it on the spark's remote to connect the iphone ? I was wondering if it was long enough... I will buy one if it works, because it's the neatest solution I found...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbles!!!
Think a USB Splitter would work?
Both the goggles and a mobile device cannot be connected at the same time with a splitter.

When the mobile device is connected via Wi-Fi, it disconnects as soon as the googles are plugged into the remote controller. The mobile device will then reconnect as soon as the googles are disconnected from the remote controller.

Does anyone have the Mavic pro's rc cable and tried it on the spark's remote to connect the iphone ?
It works, but the cable is too short.

unnamed.jpg

Reactions: Animal
so absolute solution is to plug the phone into the remote with the OTG wire. from what I understand this clears up the major issue of video lag and distance limitations??? im curious since im STILL waiting for mine.

so absolute solution is to plug the phone into the remote with the OTG wire. from what I understand this clears up the major issue of video lag and distance limitations??? im curious since im STILL waiting for mine.
I flew my Spark yesterday using the OTG connection method. I was out about 1,200 feet and up 200 feet with no video lag.

Looks like I'm going to purchase this cord before my Spark arrives. Will a micro USB to micro USB cable work? Not sure why I would get an adapter if I can have one cord?
Also, what length is best for this setup? Lastly, does the cable get in the way of your had on the controller? If so is it better to a cable connection that's at a 90 degree angle?
Just want to order the right thing before the drone arrives. Thanks!

Looks like I'm going to purchase this cord before my Spark arrives. Will a micro USB to micro USB cable work? Not sure why I would get an adapter if I can have one cord?
Also, what length is best for this setup? Lastly, does the cable get in the way of your had on the controller? If so is it better to a cable connection that's at a 90 degree angle?
Just want to order the right thing before the drone arrives. Thanks!

The usb port sits lower than the phone/tablet.

Sorry I've updated my post in which I was complaining that I wasn't able to connect with USB.
=> I've done it accordingly to information provided through below links:
So disappointed! RC connection with Spark only fly 100meters and...
DJI Spark connect to controller though usb not wifi!
and it worked.

For anyone with the same issue, steps are "simply":
- Spark RC powered on
- Smartphone powered on (WiFi disable of course & DJI GO 4 not opened)
- Connect the male micro-USB/female USB cable & the male USB/male micro-USB cable (not required if you have an OTG male micro-USB / male micro-USB cable)
- Connect first the cable to the Spark RC by the male micro-USB connector from the male micro-USB/female USB cable (or connect your OTG male micro-USB / male micro-USB cable)
- Connect then the smartphone to the other male micro-USB connector
- Then your smartphone (Android) should ask you if you want to open DJI GO 4 App each time for this device => YES
- Finally DJI GO 4 App will open and you'll be able to click on "ENTER DEVICE >" to open the "Spark RC interface".

Just in case, a trick to reduce video lags if you connect in WiFi mode: Do not activate auto-updates through WiFi for the Play Store applications & do not activate also auto sytem updates for your OS.
Initially I had HUGE video lags in WiFi, and when I change above settings it completly change this (wasn't perfect but usable).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbles!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh