Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Using Spark via USB (OTG) cable [Android]

Anyone got hold of a Micro-USB to Lightning cable that is long enough for an iPhone? I tried searching and can't find any.
I am aware I can use a OTG adaptor and then use a short lightning cable, but just wanted a single cable that is short/long enough to get an iPhone plugged and in the holder.

Anyone got hold of a Micro-USB to Lightning cable that is long enough for an iPhone? I tried searching and can't find any.
I am aware I can use a OTG adaptor and then use a short lightning cable, but just wanted a single cable that is short/long enough to get an iPhone plugged and in the holder.

I found some 10 inches long otg micro usb to lightning cables, but they appear to be incompatible with the last iteration of iOS (10.3)... So I'l just stick with a micro USB to USB adapter and a short iPhone cable.

Reactions: gspannu
Hi !
Kudos to "Helmair" from the German community "drohnen-forum.de" we got confirmation that you can bind the RC to the Smartphone also via USB cable.
MAYBE you can also use the Mavics original cable but if you dont have that you use a simple USB-OTG Adapter + a reguar micro USB charging cable and connect the phone to the RC. YOu can use Flight-mode on the phone to further stabilize connection.
Good news !

Ender

P.S. my Spark arrives Monday so i hope to be able to confirm that soon as well !

DJI SPARK UNBOXING & HIDDEN FEATURE FOUND (Increases range)!
Already was confirmed

Hi !
Kudos to "Helmair" from the German community "drohnen-forum.de" we got confirmation that you can bind the RC to the Smartphone also via USB cable.
MAYBE you can also use the Mavics original cable but if you dont have that you use a simple USB-OTG Adapter + a reguar micro USB charging cable and connect the phone to the RC. YOu can use Flight-mode on the phone to further stabilize connection.
Good news !

Ender

P.S. my Spark arrives Monday so i hope to be able to confirm that soon as well !
What is flight ,mode and where is it? You simply plug in the cable and you get decent video feed?

Good morning all, I have a question about screen protection. I have always used the PET self stick films on everything that has a screen from phone to camera. Now on my Drones, I look for UV filters/ND filters for my camera. Has anyone used the new fiber glass lens and front sensor protector I saw on Amazon? Lots of claims, but looking for someone who's actually tried them. Thanks in advance.

Good morning all, I have a question about screen protection. I have always used the PET self stick films on everything that has a screen from phone to camera. Now on my Drones, I look for UV filters/ND filters for my camera. Has anyone used the new fiber glass lens and front sensor protector I saw on Amazon? Lots of claims, but looking for someone who's actually tried them. Thanks in advance.
I would NOT suggest stick anything on the lens of your Spark. With that said, Polar Pro will be releasing Spark ND filters soon

DJI Spark Filter 3-Pack

Reactions: Dabbler90
Those pesky humans... always wanting someone else to do the research for them ;)

Here's a screenshot when connected to the remote controller via Wi-Fi:

View attachment 145

Here's a screenshot when connected to the remote controller via OTG cable:

View attachment 146
I just noticed the same thing with RTH maxed out at 50m when tethered. As soon as I unplug the cable the max goes back to 500m. I think this hack is confusing the Spark and it doesn't know a remote is connected for certain things. I don't think DJI intended it to be used this way, so it is not programmed correctly.

Every day I lose more confidence in this drone. I worry about doing things that DJI didn't intend it to do.

I was looking for the DJI OTG cable and found it doing a search on the store.

Something must be in the works because this picture was the last one of the 4.

spark_goggles.jpg

I was looking for the DJI OTG cable and found it doing a search on the store.

Something must be in the works because this picture was the last one of the 4.
Your picture above is showing the setup needed to use the DJI Goggles with the Spark. It's not really in the works at all -- it's the only way to connect the DJI Goggles to the Spark remote controller.

I ordered the otg cable from dji on the 21st of june and still hasnt shipped......should I contact or wait? other than the spark everything else I have ordered was delivered very quickly

Does anyone have the Mavic pro's rc cable and tried it on the spark's remote to connect the iphone ? I was wondering if it was long enough... I will buy one if it works, because it's the neatest solution I found...

Too short, cuz Mavic micro USB port is on side, covenant,,, and SPark micro USB is on the front

I know that people have talked about this fix improving video reception and video lag, and some have talked about increased range because of limiting interference (there are even Youtube videos) but are the majority of people really experiencing longer range (or just a few)? I have tried it both ways and there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference, especially in "noisy" environments. Perhaps it just increases range in very rural areas. I would love more people to weigh in on whether they are seeing a noticeable difference is how far you can fly your Spark. I have maxed out at around 1800 feet in a typical suburban environment. I am using the distance at which I lose all reception (no signal) and the Spark initiates the RTH.

What should we expect for improvement - 10%, 20%, 50%, or more? I am curious to hear even more real world experiences.

I can only say that i can hardly fly at all via WiFi (S7 Edge / Nougat).
So for me its something like 1000% ;-)

But thats probably very specific...

Ender

I was going to order a micro usb to micro usb so I don't need the adapter. Since I don't have the device yet how long of a cable do I need to order. I plan on using my phone for a screen but may use a tablet at another time.

I was going to order a micro usb to micro usb so I don't need the adapter. Since I don't have the device yet how long of a cable do I need to order. I plan on using my phone for a screen but may use a tablet at another time.

Don't do it unless one side has an "L" connector. I bought an 8" one from Amazon, forgetting that if it doesn't have an "L" connector the end of the side that goes into your phone will stick out through the handle making it impossible to comfortably hold the remote with your phone in it.

Here's what I finally bought to use with my OTG cable....I needed both right and left ones anyway:

Amazon.com: Cable Matters (Combo-Pack) USB Power Cable for TV Stick and Charging Cable for Power Bank 6 Inches: Cell Phones & Accessories

There are all combinations on Amazon, i bought a 10cm L shaped for my Moverio and a 20cm L shaped for my S7 Edge.

The L can be left or right angled depending on the micro USB on your smartdevice, just look at the larger pictures to see if the "L" will point in the right direction.

Ender

I have a samsung galaxy s7 and Tab S3, and I can't get the cable to work.. I have a micro usb to micro usb, I have also tried regular usb cable with the OTG adapter. Neither on connect the phone to the remote. It is connecting, but the remote lights just blink in sequence like when its plugged into a charger. So the remote sees my phone, but is only using it as a charger, not to connect and be used as a display. Any suggestions?

I have a samsung galaxy s7 and Tab S3, and I can't get the cable to work.. I have a micro usb to micro usb, I have also tried regular usb cable with the OTG adapter. Neither on connect the phone to the remote. It is connecting, but the remote lights just blink in sequence like when its plugged into a charger. So the remote sees my phone, but is only using it as a charger, not to connect and be used as a display. Any suggestions?
Assuming you have the correct cable(s)...try connecting the phone/tablet last. In other words, power on rc then Spark and last physically plug in the phone/tablet to the RC

Reactions: Mike

In Android there is a place to set what you want the phone to do when you plug in a USB cable in the bottom. Sometimes there is a USB in Settings, sometimes it's under Notifications which might be found by swiping down from the top of the screen:

How to change the USB connection options on my Samsung Galaxy S7
  1. You can change the USB settings so that your phone will sync, charge, etc. ...
  2. Plug the USB cable into the phone and the computer.
  3. Touch and drag the notification bar down.
  4. Touch Touch for other USB options.
  5. Touch the desired option (e.g., Charging).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav