Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Using the RC without a phone

Evel Knievel

Join
Jul 13, 2017
I bought the Spark to take selfies while traveling light so the gesture control was what sold me on this. (Luckily, I opted for the Fly More package and got the controller. Worth it.)

I really wanted a quadcopter that I can get up in the air quickly, take the selfie then get it back to the ground without generating too much attention. Quick.

Anyway, while practicing the gestures sometimes it looses track of me and I can't get back control of it. My solution is to power on the RC then Spark, let it connect, double-tap the power button to hand launch then send it off by waving at it. Now, I can use the gesture control to snap a picture or use the controller's shutter button to either take a video or pic while the controller is off to my side, hidden from the Spark's camera.

I figure this way If the Spark doesn't lock on to me anymore I still have control of it and can fly it back to me.

I know I can control it with my phone but this seems quicker and I have physical buttons for the video/stills to push.

Is there any downsides to this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef