Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Violated pigeon airspace

JS1500

Join
Dec 23, 2018
Earlier today I took my Spark out to the lake to get some footage. Soon after taking off and flying out over the lake, a flock of pigeons flew dangerously close to my drone. I didn't think much of it since birds sometimes fly a bit close, but they turned around again and flew directly at the drone. I whipped her into Sport Mode and the high-speed pursuit began. After several frantic moments and quite a few aerobatic maneuvers that I'm quite proud of, I finally out-flew them and I was able to descend safely and land.

All of this is to say, has this happened to anyone else before? I can understand bigger birds of prey thinking that the little Spark is lunch, but pigeons? On another note, this experience made me appreciate how easy and quick it is to put DJI drones into Sport Mode.

On another note, this experience made me appreciate how easy and quick it is to put DJI drones into Sport Mode.

Exactly.

Flip the switch and get the flight out of there!

Earlier today I took my Spark out to the lake to get some footage. Soon after taking off and flying out over the lake, a flock of pigeons flew dangerously close to my drone. I didn't think much of it since birds sometimes fly a bit close, but they turned around again and flew directly at the drone. I whipped her into Sport Mode and the high-speed pursuit began. After several frantic moments and quite a few aerobatic maneuvers that I'm quite proud of, I finally out-flew them and I was able to descend safely and land.

All of this is to say, has this happened to anyone else before? I can understand bigger birds of prey thinking that the little Spark is lunch, but pigeons? On another note, this experience made me appreciate how easy and quick it is to put DJI drones into Sport Mode.

You would think the noise would keep them away, I guess they are more intimated by size. I had a pigeon circle mine a while back, since I was over open space I brought it down close to the ground by me, then the pigeon took off and went about his business.

You would think the noise would keep them away, I guess they are more intimated by size. I had a pigeon circle mine a while back, since I was over open space I brought it down close to the ground by me, then the pigeon took off and went about his business.
I had a recent run in with a red tailed hawk, came out of nowhere and sent the spark for a tumble, he chased the spark back to the landing pad. Of course I did not have it recording the awesome event....grrr

Both funny stories. Unfortunately I wasn't recording either -- it would have made for some cool footage.

I really like birds with a sense of humor!:cool:
Good day
What phone do you use and are you using the latest DJi software?

I got a iPhone 6 with latest software that I use only with my Spark, but it does not go into Sports mode when flipping the switch.
Any suggestions?

The Other day.
I decided to play about with them [emoji23]
Straight into Sports mode and had a Play with the Pidgins straight Above Myself.....

Good day
What phone do you use and are you using the latest DJi software?

I got a iPhone 6 with latest software that I use only with my Spark, but it does not go into Sports mode when flipping the switch.
Any suggestions?
Bantam - Sorry, I missed your question since it was buried in this thread. I use an IPad mini-4. Possible reasons for not being able to use Sports Mode are 1) Beginner Mode must be off 2) Advanced Flight Modes must be on.
Hope that helps!

I am in the habit of always recording. You never know what the camera might see. It also lets you see where you might be lacking or wanting to try different settings. Its easy to delete the unwanted extra footage later.

I had a recent run in with a red tailed hawk, came out of nowhere and sent the spark for a tumble, he chased the spark back to the landing pad. Of course I did not have it recording the awesome event....grrr

Saw a blur 3 times in front of my spark . Paused video to see flock of some kind of birds entering patch.

Attachments

• 23AA7AE0-9F38-47D7-9055-D1B6244DC28B.jpeg
    23AA7AE0-9F38-47D7-9055-D1B6244DC28B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
The same thing happened to me the other day flying over a lake. The birds were dive bombing me but fortunately I got the scenic shots I was after.

Reactions: tmgrood
My Spark and Mavic seem to attract birds all the time.
Here's a short of a flock of cranky crows:

This is from last summer with a few hawks that came out of nowhere:

Jake

We have raptors around here so you learn sport mode and straight up.. I go straight up to dodge the attack, then up and home. You can usually fly higher than the birds are willing to go.

Most birds can't chase something that reverses and goes straight up, they need to dive or have speed. Never descend and run or the game is on.

Reactions: hscrugby and fmpdx

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit