Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Welcome Newbie Drone Pilots!

clackey

SparkPilots Owner
Staff member
Join
May 26, 2017
Loc
Southlake, Texas
I know there is some concern about all the new drone pilots that'll appear with the $500 spark but I welcome them with open arms! This is may be a wild ride if DJI sell millions of these devices.

In any case, welcome newbies - Fly Safe!

C.

Reactions: Dudge Jredd
Even though I owned a Mavic Pro for a short time as my first drone, I am still a newbie. My MP arrived in winter and flight time was minimal before I got an offer I couldn't refuse from a local YouTuber looking for a Fly More Combo. I was looking for a simpler drone to launch from a boat, and while watching the Spark Event I marveled at the gesture mode. This should work very well for what I need.

Reactions: Advexure
I have a few small quads and a Blade 350 QX3 .. none of which I can fly very long without crashing, so I'm a newb. :(

Hoping that the stability of DJI's would help, I was considering a Mavic but decided to wait until the 24th and I'm glad I did. Ordered a blue Spark combo since what I wanted was a small, stable, camera quad to carry with me in the RV. Doesn't hurt that it's half the cost in case I'm just not cut out for quads, lol.

Even though I owned a Mavic Pro for a short time as my first drone, I am still a newbie. My MP arrived in winter and flight time was minimal before I got an offer I couldn't refuse from a local YouTuber looking for a Fly More Combo. I was looking for a simpler drone to launch from a boat, and while watching the Spark Event I marveled at the gesture mode. This should work very well for what I need.
I don't see how launching the Spark for a boat is going to be any simpler than the Mavic, apart from the hand launch/catch. Please note that the RTH will be from the launch location.

Actually, you wouldn't need to touch the RTH. Just gesture the Spark to return with your hands, then reach out and it lands in your palm. It's looking at you the whole time. If you have moved it knows where you are. Much easier than any drone before, and no need for a remote control. Watch the videos and it will be obvious how easy it would be on a boat to accomplish this.

Actually, you wouldn't need to touch the RTH. Just gesture the Spark to return with your hands, then reach out and it lands in your palm. It's looking at you the whole time. If you have moved it knows where you are. Much easier than any drone before, and no need for a remote control. Watch the videos and it will be obvious how easy it would be on a boat to accomplish this.
RTH would automatically activate if Spark signal from phone is lost, but I guess on a boat there would be nothing to block the signal.

Yes, and RTH would activate if the battery got too low also, so you would have to be prepared for such an event.

First real drone for me. I figured if I lose $500 in a tree, it's not the end of the world. :D

Now that a court has shot down drone registration, should I register anyway, or wait til it plays out?

First real drone for me. I figured if I lose $500 in a tree, it's not the end of the world. :D

Now that a court has shot down drone registration, should I register anyway, or wait til it plays out?

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your first real drone :) Your call on registration, we're still advising that folks register...based on what I've read you probably wouldn't have to now but for $5 you might as well be on the safe side.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
I am an avid RC flier. I am out flying all the time with various drones, racing quads, rc airplanes and collective pitch helis and I have never once been asked to show proof of anything. Nevertheless I registered...no big whoop.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your first real drone :) Your call on registration, we're still advising that folks register...based on what I've read you probably wouldn't have to now but for $5 you might as well be on the safe side.

Don't forget to point them to the correct registration site should they still chose to register.
sUAS Registration

(Registration of drone is only good for 3 years, after that you have to re-register...and another $5)

Before the ruling to defunct the required registration, some sites charge $25 or more to file on your behalf....so be careful who you are giving credit card or personal info.

only problem for the whole "no need for a remote" is that it will only do stills and no video without remote.

only problem for the whole "no need for a remote" is that it will only do stills and no video without remote.
And where did you get this info? To the best of my knowledge (and the owners manual) this is not the case.

Reactions: Dudge Jredd

You can't start video recording using gesture only mode but with at minimum a cell phone or tablet connected by wifi to the drone will allow you to use video recording.

You can't start video recording using gesture only mode but with at minimum a cell phone or tablet connected by wifi to the drone will allow you to use video recording.
Correct...thus no remote is needed.

RTH would automatically activate if Spark signal from phone is lost, but I guess on a boat there would be nothing to block the signal.

RTH to the launch position.. which means it will land in the water if the boat is moving.
The spark flyless bundle will be a handful (pardon the pun) on a boat. 12-16minutes battery doesnt give you much time to anchor up and circle back to save your Spark.
And i wouldn't rely on the gestures modes on a boat either - what if you are moving away from the Spark at a speed where the spark cannot identify you? What if its windy? What if you are wearing the same colours as the boats? All the demos i have seen involves the spark and user to be stationary.

Anyways.. i would suggest using a controller on the boat and a net to catch the spark if the boat is moving. The gimbal looks very sturdy and the motors should shut off if obstructed.

I've been flying my Spark without a remote for 2 days now and the virtual joysticks suck. Besides the fact of the distance limitation.

I've been flying my Spark without a remote for 2 days now and the virtual joysticks suck. Besides the fact of the distance limitation.

aviscomi - so that would mean you can't enter into sport mode until you get your FM combo Monday, correct? I have to say that I got mine a couple of days ago and have to admit that it seems a bit fiddly compared to the Mavic for the setup. I would have to call the Mavic plug-n-play and the Spark seemed to have a few more steps to get it ready. Minor, but thought it is a simpler drone than the Mavic.

aviscomi - so that would mean you can't enter into sport mode until you get your FM combo Monday, correct? I have to say that I got mine a couple of days ago and have to admit that it seems a bit fiddly compared to the Mavic for the setup. I would have to call the Mavic plug-n-play and the Spark seemed to have a few more steps to get it ready. Minor, but thought it is a simpler drone than the Mavic.
Perfect timing...watch this video:

Reactions: Archimedes21

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme