Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Went from iPhone xsmax to galaxy s10 plus, signal issue

SparkyNate

Join
Apr 28, 2018
So I ditched my iPhone for Android and it works fine with my Mavic pro, but when I flew my spark for the first time, GPS mode, without otg cable, the little signal meter in the top right displays 5.8 like it always does (I always have it set to auto not custom) and I had 1-2 bars? Even when feet away, I switched to custom and selected 2.4 and no change? I flew two separate locations and no change? I always fly in the same spots. Now I do realize the galaxy s10 plus isn't officially supported but my question is how could the phone effect the signal streanth? I thought that was the rc job? It only happened when I switched devices, everything else is normal and this Drone or rc have never been dropped, crashed, anything else I should check for that would cause this? Or am I totally wrong and the phone plays a role? Thank you folks in advance!

This is just my humble opinion, but Android devices are not as stable or secure as IOS/iPhones, your mileage may vary. There is something different, and if you could revert to your iPhone, and it works fine again, then you'd know for sure.

Oh not again. People need to stop telling everybody how great the iPhone is. Androids work too. Just start using an OTG cable. Understand that there were some compatibility issues of OTG with both Go4 and Litchi initially, but now everything has been resolved.

Probably just a coincidence but, everytime we see
connection transmission-reception problems, it is
NOT an Apple product...
Just a coincidence...

Probably just a coincidence but, everytime we see
connection transmission-reception problems, it is
NOT an Apple product...
Just a coincidence...

Full marks to you for sarcasm but I don't see any wisdom in buying an expensive Apple product just to fly a drone. If someone already has one, sure use it. But if you don't, just buy an OTG cable. I have zero transmission-reception problems while using a sub $150 Android device with OTG cable. And this is no coincidence. The OTG vs WiFi, Android vs iOS debate is already done and dusted. They both work.

Last edited:
well, I got an iPad mini 5 specifically for flying...

and with 5G data line :D

Please note the specific comment "your mileage may vary" just says you may have better luck.
I cannot speak for Android as I do not have any Android devices.
But with iOS, the only issue I have seen across platforms is the darkening screen - thermal throttling.

Ok so I went back to the iPhone with no otg cable and signal is perfect! Now the video feed sucks on ios and Android without a otg I get that, but at this point it's my curiosity why would Android affect the signal to the craft and make it weak? I literally stood 20 feet away and swapped phones, iPhone full bars 5.8 g and android 1 bar 5.8g, why? I should be able to hook a typewriter up to it and that should not affect the signal from the rc to the spark, right? Other then that the two are indistinguishable, as a side note I own a note 10 in addition to the galaxy 10,same issue? And I have a iPhone x, iPhone xs max, iPhone sr, and they again give me perfect signal well past 3000 ft?
My Mavic pro however I used that with the 2 androids and my signal was perfect, no difference.

You can have interference from one specific channel.
Something I added to my Flight Check List - check your video frequency

In settings, find this screen: (Not exact - for higher models)
Mavic-Pro-DJI-Go-App-WiFi-settings-menu.jpg

Just like the legend says, blue current, green stable and red unstable.
I think to get into 2.4 and 5.8 there is a custom button.
Hit that and you can select channels in the opposite band that was showing.
I fly with 5.8
You will see which channels are good and bad, select the best.
Put that in your flight checklist.

Dji go 4, 4/2/21 that solved it! I still don't understand, but now my range is normal, thought if anyone's having the same issue give this a shot, I am still curious however if anyone knows why downgrading would fix this.

Dji go 4, 4/2/21 that solved it! I still don't understand, but now my range is normal, thought if anyone's having the same issue give this a shot, I am still curious however if anyone knows why downgrading would fix this.
Can't say for sure, but one thing I've learned from computers over the last 25+ years is that the latest update isn't always the greatest update. Generally, I don't update most software/firmware at release until it's had a chance to prove itself in widespread real world use. I don't want to be beta tester.

My only worry is I have the original mavic pro and they use the same app? But I will say after all the updates I don't notice anything new

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef