Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Where is it?

Mr Dave NJ

Join
Jun 21, 2018
Loc
Northwest New Jersey
Strange title but that is my question after all the research I have done on various sites, tutorials etc. For a few weeks I have been cautiously flying my spark at low level and try to keep it in view. Here is my issue. I am in my 70's and when the spark gets around 80' high or higher its hard for me to see it since it is white and so small. The same applies when the distance gets farther regardless of the altitude. I would like to fly it higher and over the trees or at least a little distance from me to take some nice videos. I'm aware of the RTH feature but I don't want to count on that to return my spark each trip out. I thought the map would leave a yellow trail line that I could retrace back home. That trail only seems to show in the replay of the flight log and not during it when flying. I then though perhaps the radar would direct me the correct way to home point but that is really confusing. I know I can get some bearings by knowing my flight pattern and recognizing the terrain and my position and try to see it on my iphone screen. Can anyone tell me a simple and reliable way to see where I am flying and get me home safely? I don't intend to fly to the point my battery automatically sends it back. Is RTH the standard practice for return? Seems like all the videos I watched that is what they do, taking chances flying so far out. I'd love to have a simple easy to understand instruction for someone like me who doesn't understand all the tech language that makes it even more confusing to us senior newbees. I have an iphone 6 plus and use a controller.....

1. You are supposed to stay within Visual Line of Sight.
2. You can use the "radar" in the DJI Go 4 app to ascertain the direction (relative to your position) that the Spark is facing. Then you can use that information to fly the Spark back toward you. The "radar rings" show relatively how far away the Spark is from you and the red arrow shows the direction it is facing.

Reactions: Hddeuce03
1. You are supposed to stay within Visual Line of Sight.
2. You can use the "radar" in the DJI Go 4 app to ascertain the direction (relative to your position) that the Spark is facing. Then you can use that information to fly the Spark back toward you. The "radar rings" show relatively how far away the Spark is from you and the red arrow shows the direction it is facing.

That is exactly what I am looking for. Something to give me direction of my Spark in relation to my home position. I was concerned if I lost visual I may make a situation worse by flying my drone further away. I'm assuming the "Radar" is the small circle bottom left of my screen,(looks more like a compass) blue and black division of color with the drone pic in center. When I tested that feature in my yard I guess the distance of the drone and controller were too close because the drone icon rotated on screen but that was it.I didn't notice the rings as you mentioned. I couldn't figure out what direction I should take. Of course a secondary counter measure could be the distance reading on screen, i.e., if it was reducing in range. Thank you very much for the information, I will research the radar more .... Taking drone to ball field tomorrow and practice your suggestion, thanks again!!.

I would recommend you practice flying in a large open space and watch the attidtude indicator as explained in the videos. I too have trouble seeing it when its really high or far away, so some have suggested adding a strobe light, like these... STROBON Cree LED Strobe Light - Phantom Help I am considering investing in one of these lights. Hope this helps.

I looked at the video and that strobe may help me see Spark easier. The strobe looks pretty intense and a fraction of weight...Thank you..

The strobe works well, just be sure to mount on the arms and not directly underneath near the visual sensors.

The strobe blinds Spark and it will fly wild since it can't see the ground when using the VPS

I am 73 and had the same issue with both the Spark and MAVIC. I overcame my fear/ caution by going to the same area and going further each day/flight. I live in an area where there are 120+ high Pine trees and therefore lost sight quickly. I depend on my screen( iPad mini4) to watch its flight as well as that indicator on the bottom left. Above video’s very good and reassuring. I do use the return to home and the flight screen assures me where it shows me where it is. Have fun and fly safe

I am 73 and had the same issue with both the Spark and MAVIC. I overcame my fear/ caution by going to the same area and going further each day/flight. I live in an area where there are 120+ high Pine trees and therefore lost sight quickly. I depend on my screen( iPad mini4) to watch its flight as well as that indicator on the bottom left. Above video’s very good and reassuring. I do use the return to home and the flight screen assures me where it shows me where it is. Have fun and fly safe

I must admit I am doing the same thing. I fly a little higher each time but it gives me some anxiety watching my drone aloft as if it is going to simply fly away on its own. I am practicing each day at the HS ball field when available. My town is notorious for maple trees and I am very near the pocono mountains of Pa. My property goes to the Delaware River for some nice footage but I have a fear of flying it over water. I believe that I researched so many utube videos, the negative ones gave me concerns of fly away drone. However I think common sense, practice and caution is the best way to go. The advice I get on here is most helpful and reassuring. BUT: Now I am trying to learn how to navigate this Pilot program. Thanks for the support and advice.....

I am considering using an Ipad instead of my iphone 6 plus phone. Should be must easier to see where I am going. The little research I did so far is, I would need wi fi cellular ipad, not just a wi fi ipad. My provider (verizon) said for $10.00 more on my monthly account I could connect Spark to that. I currently get 5G monthly on my phone and the ipad can use that data as well. I'm wonder if to use cable to connect controller to ipad or just the wi fi as I am doing now. I have read perhaps the cable not such a good idea. In any case what Ipad is recommended from Target, Best Buy store etc, that would be good for me. Also how do you hold the controller and ipad at same time since it doesn't attach like my iphone does? Do they sell some sort of attachment for the Ipads?

I use an iPad 4 Mini without cellular - it fits nicely into the RC, but I also use a Mavmount with a sun shade for bright days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis