Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Why OTG and whats the fuzz with Europe and Wi-Fi?

Toegema

Join
Aug 3, 2017
Hello from Norway (yes, Europe)
I have been flying the Spark without any cable and it seems to fly just fine. I am able to choose 2,4 GHZ and select frequency if I want to (yesterday I had ch 9) and I can fly at the default 5,8 GHZ and had freq. 149.
I assume the band (2,4 vs 5,8) is the connection between RC and AC, i dont know if my iPhone connects with to the rc with the same band or opposite or something, but it all seems to work fine.
Given the limited range here in CE I don't understand what all the fuzz is about regarding Europe and frequencies.
What am I missing? If anyone cares to explain it would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it is the RC to AC band that you see in the app. The Spark try to use 2.4G first but if there are some wifi activity on it, it switch to 5.8G. You can manually force it to use 2.4G using the app.
The phone-RC is using the other band (2.4G or 5.8G).
What is very important is to disable bluetooth in any device you have around you as it operate on 2.4G and will affect that band.

Thanks! Any idea why many threads talk about problems in Europe regarding using some wifi bands? I don't seem to have problems of any kind. Don't seem to need OTG either.

You have an ios device.
The channels used by the Spark are nice in USA, but here in Europe they are dedicated to low power wifi. Some Android devices are not using them at all (like Samsung S6, S7, Tab S2), so you never see any Spark or RC wifi at 5.8G. At least the Samsung S8 is seeing them, but out of my devices it is the single one I can use with the Spark at 5.8G.
The other part of the threads are probably related to limited range due to low power on these channels in Europe.

You are welcome.

You have an ios device.
The channels used by the Spark are nice in USA, but here in Europe they are dedicated to low power wifi. Some Android devices are not using them at all (like Samsung S6, S7, Tab S2), so you never see any Spark or RC wifi at 5.8G. At least the Samsung S8 is seeing them, but out of my devices it is the single one I can use with the Spark at 5.8G.
The other part of the threads are probably related to limited range due to low power on these channels in Europe.
My S6 uses 5.8 !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme