Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Will cellular data matter with spark remote control

el cap

Join
Jun 7, 2017
Loc
kailua kona
Have the fly more combo coming my way and was wondering about picking up a dedicated iPad mini 4 for the remote. Will the connectivity be any better using a cellular device (iPhone) compared to a wifi only iPad mini 4?

It will not affect the connection quality, but wifi only iPads do not have GPS capabilities so you will miss out on a couple of features like GPS based 'follow me' mode and the ability to reset the home point after take-off (if this is a Spark feature).

You can add an external GPS unit to the iPad later, but that rather negates the cost saving in the first place.

You don't have to have an active data plan though, it is just that the GPS hardware simply isn't fitted to the wifi only iPads.

It will not affect the connection quality, but wifi only iPads do not have GPS capabilities so you will miss out on a couple of features like GPS based 'follow me' mode and the ability to reset the home point after take-off (if this is a Spark feature).

You can add an external GPS unit to the iPad later, but that rather negates the cost saving in the first place.

You don't have to have an active data plan though, it is just that the GPS hardware simply isn't fitted to the wifi only iPads.

@Mark_T, you are THE MAN. Lots of great content you have contributed across the Spark forum. Are you a current Mavic owner? What other platforms? Leave an introduction here if you wish: Pilot Check In

@Mark_T, you are THE MAN. Lots of great content you have contributed across the Spark forum. Are you a current Mavic owner? What other platforms? Leave an introduction here if you wish: Pilot Check In

Thanks, and sorry, I do tend to forget about the 'Check In' posts, I'll try to get to that later.

Yes, I have a Mavic, also P4 and I2.

Reactions: Advexure
Thanks, and sorry, I do tend to forget about the 'Check In' posts, I'll try to get to that later.

Yes, I have a Mavic, also P4 and I2.

Awesome, @Mark_T. I'm sure we've crossed paths elsewhere then. "See you" around here on the SP forum now too.

The HERE maps and maybe live streaming.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef