Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Will the Mavic Air replace the Spark

I feel like the Air could have just as easily been called Spark plus, or Spark plus pro.
I think being that it has folding arms DJI kept it within the Mavic family

Reactions: clouseau
One reason I think the Air won't replace the Spark is the ease of set-up and launch. DJI's pitch with the Spark was that you could take it out of your bag and have it flying in seconds. This ultimately was one of the main reasons to buy it if you already had a Mavic. Think about it. All you have to do is power up the Spark, Remote, and Phone. No wires (OTG), just launch the app and you are flying. That is probably also the reason that the arms don't fold, and there is no gimbal guard. You literally take it out and launch, even from you hand.

Look at the Mavic Air. Sure its camera is better and it has some other nice features, but the Mavic 2 will probably blow it away. In terms of ease of launch. With the Air, you have to unfold the arms, take off the gimbal guard, plug in your phone, find a launch spot on the ground and then take off. Exactly, the same process as the Pro, and no where near as easy as the Spark. Oh, I forgot now you are supposed to attach the joysticks on the remote. That makes set-up actually longer than the Pro. Additionally, the folded form factor (size) isn't really that much different from the Pro. Honestly, who is going to be carrying this in your pocket? The Pro (with remote and two extra batteries) fits nicely into the Spark shoulder bag. That bag is really small.

So in my opinion the Spark, even with all its issues, will have a place alongside my Mavic. I can't wait for the Mavic 2.

Reactions: armando58 and KNAVE
I smell a Mavic Pro 2 coming with a 1 inch sensor to separate it from the Mavic Air. I’m now thinking the Spark may remain unchanged as an entry level pure hobbyist option. New lineup:
  • Spark $399 w/remote, $599 fly more
  • Air $799, $999
  • Pro 2 w/1” camera $1199, $1399
  • Phantom 5 interchangeable lenses $1499-$1599
A little somethin’ for everyone.

One reason I think the Air won't replace the Spark is the ease of set-up and launch. DJI's pitch with the Spark was that you could take it out of your bag and have it flying in seconds. This ultimately was one of the main reasons to buy it if you already had a Mavic. Think about it. All you have to do is power up the Spark, Remote, and Phone. No wires (OTG), just launch the app and you are flying. That is probably also the reason that the arms don't fold, and there is no gimbal guard. You literally take it out and launch, even from you hand.

Look at the Mavic Air. Sure its camera is better and it has some other nice features, but the Mavic 2 will probably blow it away. In terms of ease of launch. With the Air, you have to unfold the arms, take off the gimbal guard, plug in your phone, find a launch spot on the ground and then take off. Exactly, the same process as the Pro, and no where near as easy as the Spark. Oh, I forgot now you are supposed to attach the joysticks on the remote. That makes set-up actually longer than the Pro. Additionally, the folded form factor (size) isn't really that much different from the Pro. Honestly, who is going to be carrying this in your pocket? The Pro (with remote and two extra batteries) fits nicely into the Spark shoulder bag. That bag is really small.

So in my opinion the Spark, even with all its issues, will have a place alongside my Mavic. I can't wait for the Mavic 2.

I disagree, it takes literally seconds to unfold the legs and it can be controlled with just an iphone or just your hand exactly the same as the spark. While not officially designed for palm take off or landing, it looks like it would be super easy to do anyway. I'd have no issue hand launching or catching the Air. As regards to the gimbal guard, it's very unlikely anyone has a spark in their pocket without one on as they could easily damage the mechanism.

In fact, I'd argue it's probably easier to get the Mavic Air in the air and ready to take your shot. Lets be honest, gesture mode on the Spark is slow and it's hard to set the drone up to take a good Dronie. Most people will simply dig out their phone/remote, pair to the spark and compose the shot that way. However, this Air looks far quicker to react and the height and distance can be set accurately with the new gestures which could, in theory, make it a useful feature to quickly capture a shot before moving on.

I disagree, it takes literally seconds to unfold the legs and it can be controlled with just an iphone or just your hand exactly the same as the spark. While not officially designed for palm take off or landing, it looks like it would be super easy to do anyway. I'd have no issue hand launching or catching the Air. As regards to the gimbal guard, it's very unlikely anyone has a spark in their pocket without one on as they could easily damage the mechanism.

In fact, I'd argue it's probably easier to get the Mavic Air in the air and ready to take your shot. Lets be honest, gesture mode on the Spark is slow and it's hard to set the drone up to take a good Dronie. Most people will simply dig out their phone/remote, pair to the spark and compose the shot that way. However, this Air looks far quicker to react and the height and distance can be set accurately with the new gestures which could, in theory, make it a useful feature to quickly capture a shot before moving on.
Keep going!! I need someone to talk me into not cancelling my order for the Onyx FM. I thought I was going to save $1000. Looks like that is not happening.

Keep going!! I need someone to talk me into not cancelling my order for the Onyx FM. I thought I was going to save $1000. Looks like that is not happening.

Haha, I've been into this for all of 5 minutes and already hate the way it seems to work. I got my Spark a month ago and already have it up for sale because the Mavic Air is basically the drone I hoped the Spark would be.

Haha, I've been into this for all of 5 minutes and already hate the way it seems to work. I got my Spark a month ago and already have it up for sale because the Mavic Air is basically the drone I hoped the Spark would be.
i wont disagree.. i JUST got my spark too and the Air is what I hoped the spark would be.. however there is a good place for the spark to be had. I havent scratched the surface as to what i can do with my spark let alone out grow it yet. I'll likely see where everything in the dji world is come July.

it will replace the spark for me - i just ordered it.

the reasons are simple, the mavic air has 3 features that i've been missing with the spark:
  • RAW Photos
  • D-Log Colorprofile (for Video)
  • OTG (It comes with 3 different OTG cables ( microUSB, the iPad one, and Type-C USB), so it stands to reason its supported :)
So once it arrives I'll probably sell the spark.
does anyone know how to factory-reset it / de-register it?

What if I change the threads question slightly - Will the Mavic Air replace the Spark (if you also own a Mavic Pro)? I would say no. But if I only owned a Spark than yes.

Last edited:
True....dont think it is wise to do a boomerang without rear sensors.
Neither is circle, helix or dronie but those quickshots are there for the Spark. Why not incorporate firmware update to include boomerang or Asteroid for that matter. Small investment to make Spark owners happy and possibly loyalty for the brand for future upgrades.

The Mavic Air looks like it's going to be a great addition to the DJI line-up, but I think the performance of the supposedly improved WiFi system will be the deciding factor for greatness. If the WiFi is buggy and or weak then all bets are off.

Did anyone catch whether the Air was compatible with the Spark's RC ?

Neither is circle, helix or dronie but those quickshots are there for the Spark. Why not incorporate firmware update to include boomerang or Asteroid for that matter. Small investment to make Spark owners happy and possibly loyalty for the brand for future upgrades.

The quickshots are not very smooth though with the Spark, probably due to 2D gimbal.

What if I change the threads question slightly - Will the Mavic Air replace the Spark (if you also own a Mavic Pro)? I would say no. But if I only owned a Spark than yes.

Yeah, I'm amazed how many Mavic Pro owners are putting down the Air as if though it was a proposed upgrade or replacement for their done. If you already own an Mavic Pro/Platinum you'd have to hate money or be obsessed with drones to justify swapping it for an Air. However, if you didn't own a Pro/Platinum and were considering a drone of that nature I'd bet most people would have the Air over those other two. There's no way I'd pay more for a Pro/Platinum when the Air does everything I need, is better in some areas, and much smaller more portable.

Unfortunately, if a Spark is your only drone (like me) then the Air is a kick in the nuts because it's everything you need but don't have.

Reactions: armando58
No doubt, I'll be hold on to the spark for a while, till the air price drops a bit like they all do.

Did anyone catch whether the Air was compatible with the Spark's RC ?

It hasnt been said anywhere that I have seen. While part of me thinks it can, as they are both WiFi, the other part thinks not, as the MA unit is branded as such, and also has OTG support. Methinks it wont have WiFi relay (to connect your mobile) like the Spark.

For me, the Mavic Air announcement was a bit underwhelming. Not to say it is a bad unit, it is quite impressive, but I didnt come away from it feeling my Spark was now useless.

The biggest failing for me is that the Air uses WiFi instead of Occusync/Lightbridge. If it had Occusync, I would probably be considering the upgrade for that alone, having a reliable and robust connection. No that I ever fly that far away, but if it could do 7km, it should be very reliable at 1km.

The 3 axis gimbal does tempt me, as does 1080p/120 video. But, not sure that is worth $1000 to get (obviously get the FlyMore).

Other than that, not much enthused me. 4k is nice, but not a need for me right now. The boomerang quickshot is pretty nice, but not $1000 nice. Gestures appear to work better than the Spark, but once bitten twice shy for me. The extra battery life is nice, but it is only 5 mins more. Folds smaller, but not that much smaller, and you can get very small cases for the Spark, too. The rear collision sensors are a real boon, and I expect will be standard on just about everything from now on. The ADAS thing that goes around obstacles instead of just stopping is appealing too, as I have had issues where the Spark gets "stuck" in the air because it thinks it has obstacles on all sides. Again, not that big of a deal for me.

Now, I should qualify that all of this comes through the lens of someone who has a Phantom 3 for doing more creative work. The Spark was and is no different to me than a decent smartphone camera; on hand always to take a fun pic, but in no way expected to replace my DSLR. I suppose if I didnt have a Spark and a Phantom, then the Air could fill either roll just as well. I suppose I'll have to lose one of them to know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502