Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Would you buy a Spark right now?

Steelrain

Join
Aug 3, 2017
I'm a Mavic Pro owner right it's been a very solid machine so far. I've considered picking up a new Spark plus remote controller and already have a IPhone 6S Plus/Mini IPad 4 for control screen.

I was thinking the Spark would make for decent flying practice around the yard, but all the issues I've seen listed are making question if it's even worth the risk right now.

I'm a Mavic Pro owner right it's been a very solid machine so far. I've considered picking up a new Spark plus remote controller and already have a IPhone 6S Plus/Mini IPad 4 for control screen.

I was thinking the Spark would make for decent flying practice around the yard, but all the issues I've seen listed are making question if it's even worth the risk right now.
I would wait until all defective Sparks are bought and fall down. To be honest , wait some weeks.

I would wait until all defective Sparks are bought and fall down. To be honest , wait some weeks.

Probably the smartest decision to wait right now and see what happens over the next few weeks. That said , it just sucks because I have the money set-a-side for a new drone right now. If the cash sits to long my wife will think it's new shoe money , not drone money :)

I though about moving up to a P4P or P4 advanced, but those also are pretty new out and some glitches being worked out as well. Heck, I may just buy a new Phantom 3 Advanced on sale just a touch higher price than the spark combo and it's pretty proven overall with time. Also had a good price quoted to me for Phantom 4 model brand new/old stock, first 4 model basically same price as Phantom 3 Advanced.

That's the issue with buying the newest thing out is you have to expect firmware upgrades for months anymore to get a real stable product.

Last edited:

Have a Spark. Had no issues whatsoever.
It's replacing a Phantom 2 and I have to say it's a blast to fly. An impressive small piece of hardware.

Do you think a 1/2 mile rural area (no wifi interfence) direct line of sight is doable range with a Spark with controller? Most of my use would be under 200 yards, but when traveling there could be times 1/4 to 1/2 range would be good to have. Anything longer range than that I have the Mavic.

Ordered mine, should arrive tomorrow.

Have P4, MP, Inspire 1, never had an issue.

Do you think a 1/2 mile rural area (no wifi interfence) direct line of sight is doable range with a Spark with controller? Most of my use would be under 200 yards, but when traveling there could be times 1/4 to 1/2 range would be good to have. Anything longer range than that I have the Mavic.

I ve done many flights in the 2500 to 3800' range with no issue with the RC.

But then if you already have a Mavic why bother with another drone? The spark is great and does 90% of what the mavic does so you may as well use the mavic if you have one

Only reason I bought a spark is that I almost only fly from a boat and I d rather risk $500 than $1000 :).

Honestly , I don't think I can stop at one drone :)

The Mavic is a serious tool with very good 4K video, long remote range, good 20+ min flight time, very quiet by drone standards, and good size/speed/handling/stability. I honestly don't think there is a better drone out there for me as the P4P is mainly a better camera gain at the cost of increased size and noise.

That said I see the spark as something very small with small case that I would be more comfortable tossing in my day pack while out hiking then could lauch for a quick view of the area around me. Also would be nice to practice flying low around the yard with lower replacement/repair cost if damaged .Yes the Mavic can do a lot of this but I would rather carry a cheaper drone while out hiking trails and use around the yard being a more risky area (trees, house,barn, power lines etc etc.)

Like anything else I also like to have a back up around to fly in case my main unit goes in for repair and is out of service for weeks.

There isn't a big difference in size between mavic and spark. I ve used a mavic, carried the bag around in the tender to the beach. Almost the same as the spark bag

Reactions: nitrocat
I received my Spark in early July and have no regrets at all. It is now my go to knock around bird for practicing shots and threading through tight spaces. I call it my weed whacker (usually run with OA off). I would not consider the Mavic a knock around drone as its three axis gimbal is substantially more fragile than the Spark's 2 axis gimbal. The Spark is one tough little quad that is fun to fly and one I can focus on the shot vs worrying about damaging it. Not saying I am reckless with it just it is easy to fly due to it size in the air.

If you already have a Mavic, I am not sure the Spark makes sense other than the points I made above. The Mavic is obviously a more capable videography tool.

making question if it's even worth the risk right now.
If I were to get a do-over, I'd probably skip the Spark and stick with my Mavic. I think it packs up better (smaller) than the spark and has better capabilities with 4k/range. But then I've got way too many drones...P3P, several 3DR solos, Traxxas Alias, Blade 350, some tiny ones for in the house. Based on the way DJI keeps adding restrictions to firmware and resulting loss of birds due to same, I'd probably stick with my 3DR solos seeing as how they will be open source soon. I don't fly where I'm not supposed to but I don't appreciate DJI boxing me in after the fact. P3P wasn't restricted when I bought it. Just my 2 cents.

I've had mine since July and I love it. No problems as of yet. It's so small people think it's a toy. I have yet to be around people who are angry about my flying. The spark is very non threatening IMO. I also own the Mavic pro. Spark is great for shooting stuff you want to throw up on Instagram. 4K does you no good there. Sorry to hear so many people are having issues with it.

I got my spark last month to take on holiday with me to South America. 2 days before I was due to go away the remote stopped working and wouldn't switch off. I was able to get it to turn off eventually but it no longer picked up the drone. I tried multiple troubleshoots and spoke to tech support. In the end I had to send it to their repair centre in the Netherlands (even though I'm based in the UK and they have a repair centre here). They've had it almost 2 weeks and chasing status updates is frustrating.
The point of my post while not everyone is having issues with Spark, I'd advise against trading a mavic for a spark due to the sheer number of us who *are* having issues. I'm actually considering trading in my Spark fly more combo when I eventually get my remote back and go for a mavic

Knock on wood, haven't had any issues with mine. Used OTG, no remote, only phone, used the phone and tablet.

I've had mine since July and I love it. No problems as of yet. It's so small people think it's a toy. I have yet to be around people who are angry about my flying. The spark is very non threatening IMO. I also own the Mavic pro. Spark is great for shooting stuff you want to throw up on Instagram. 4K does you no good there. Sorry to hear so many people are having issues with it.

John,

I think you said it well:

Spark = Instagram quality, somewhat less "threatening", more affordable

Mavic = Youtube (and better) quality, outstanding range

As the Spark and Mavic are very close to the same size for most practical purposes, there are really only 2 reasons to get a Spark:

1) Affordability if a Mavic is too expensive
2) Less "threatening" for the few situations that quality might come in handy...which for most folks...is almost none.

P.S.

That said...

Sometimes I'll go on youtube and find some well done video clips created with, say, a Phantom 1 with a 1080p GoPro and 2-axis gimbal strapped/taped to it, and I say to myself...WHY ON EARTH am I fretting over having the best camera (Phantom 4 Pro), or longest range, etc, as the most important thing, is TO HAVE A DRONE WITH YOU AND GET THE SHOT.

So in that case, a Spark, besides range (which comes in handy from time to time), is MORE than adequate, video/image-quality-wise, to create some pretty compelling clips...so if money is a factor (Mavic too expensive), just BUY THE SPARK

Another thought....

Buy a Spark, AND buy a used or refurbished P3P (for 4K and range)...and have BOTH a Spark and a P3P for the same money as a Mavic.

Reactions: John T
"Spark = instagram, mavic = YouTube"

I disagree. Highest res on YouTube is 1080 which both can do

4K is great but only needed in some rare situation...

I have used both mavic and spark, and frankly you can't tell the difference at 1080

This video includes Spark, Mavic and Phantom 2 GoPro 4 footage and while the P2-GP4 footage can be spotted i can't tell the difference between Spark and Mavic even knowing which is which.

Reactions: John T

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena