Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Would you buy a Spark right now?

I bought the Spark over the Mavic because it was less expensive (and it’s my first quad). Since buying it I’ve purchased an iPad mini 4, MavMount 2.0, a couple cases and an extra battery. I suppose I would have purchased all the same accessories if I had gone with the Mavic but I’ve still gone over the less expensive budget excuse.

I would get one. I started with the P3 Pro. I then purchased the P4 preorder and now the Spark. By far the Spark is so easy to use and tons of fun.
It has everything you need and more. Order the fly more combo it's nice to have the RC.

"Spark = instagram, mavic = YouTube"

I disagree. Highest res on YouTube is 1080 which both can do

4K is great but only needed in some rare situation...

Pascal,

Youtube has been doing 4K for a few years now:

YouTube now supports 4k-resolution videos

Also...and this is something I don't really understand...when I watch the 4K version of a Youtube video on a 1080p display device (like my TV or computer monitor), the 4K version looks better than the 1080 version. If I had a 4k display device, I'm guessing the difference would be bigger.

Anyway...good to know the Spark can take good video. And it's good to have choices.

As I mentioned on my intro post, I have been really thinking of getting a drone for a while, but then, within budget. At around the same price, I could have gone for the Phantom 3 Standard.
So here is a recap of before and after purchase train of thoughts that I went through.

Reasoning before I purchased the Spark:
1. Spark is easy to carry, portable, and not as threatening as Phantom
I couldnt imagine having to carry around the Phantom while travelling, set it up, etc. Spark is easy peasy.
2. Yes Mavic does what mentioned on no.1 but Spark is half the price compared to Mavic (budget is important factor for me)
3. However, it is not a half the drone Mavic is, it is very capable especially for beginner.
4. Jedi tricks - ok most of you might say it is gimmicky, but this actually the one thing that convince wifey to allow me to get a drone. She loves it.
5. Drawbacks vs P3S: P3S got 2.7k and higher fps, 3axis gymbal, and longer flight time. However, I probably could live without all those.

Having owned the spark now for a month I simply didnt regret my choice.
So regarding the question of this thread, "would you buy a spark right now" yes I would do it still, even with hindsight.

Returning to the 5 points mentioned prior to purchasing:
1. I found the portability to be amazing. Check.
2. Again no arguing on price, check.
3. For what I intend it to be used for, yes it is very capable. Check.
4. Okay sometimes it doesnt really work but most of the time it does and the awe on peoples faces is well worth it.
5. I found the 2 axis gymbal in Spark more than capable. And the resolution is not that important for me, the quality of spark footage is not bad at all. Regarding the flight time, what use would the longer flight time be if I can get more fun out of this little thing and not to forget, I could practically charge it on the go using high powered powerbank. At the end, more fun, more easy to charge, more time actually flying.

But those points above is only valid for me (or someone in similar situation) due to one important factor: budget. How if budget is not the problem. Then it would be a hard fight in my head between mavic and spark. For what I intend it to be used for, spark is more than enough, but even now I am already a little bit jealous on the range that mavic can reach. But again, that jedi trick really is one brilliant thing. If mavic pro 2 for example would have that... I prolly will break the bank, just saying.

Have had the Spark for about a month, with zero problems. My wife and I both enjoy flying this drone. As to the camera quality, the old saying is that the best camera is the one you have with you. More than pleased with the video clips it has captured. Only regret is I should have purchased the Fly More Combo package initially, instead of buying the RC, prop guards, charger, etc. later.

Roy & Becky.

Reactions: eflyersteve
Thanks and I think you hit it one the head especially about having the drone with you and getting the shot. Can't name the guy who said it but "the best camera is the one you have with you"
John,

I think you said it well:

Spark = Instagram quality, somewhat less "threatening", more affordable

Mavic = Youtube (and better) quality, outstanding range

As the Spark and Mavic are very close to the same size for most practical purposes, there are really only 2 reasons to get a Spark:

1) Affordability if a Mavic is too expensive
2) Less "threatening" for the few situations that quality might come in handy...which for most folks...is almost none.

P.S.

That said...

Sometimes I'll go on youtube and find some well done video clips created with, say, a Phantom 1 with a 1080p GoPro and 2-axis gimbal strapped/taped to it, and I say to myself...WHY ON EARTH am I fretting over having the best camera (Phantom 4 Pro), or longest range, etc, as the most important thing, is TO HAVE A DRONE WITH YOU AND GET THE SHOT.

So in that case, a Spark, besides range (which comes in handy from time to time), is MORE than adequate, video/image-quality-wise, to create some pretty compelling clips...so if money is a factor (Mavic too expensive), just BUY THE SPARK

Another thought....

Buy a Spark, AND buy a used or refurbished P3P (for 4K and range)...and have BOTH a Spark and a P3P for the same money as a Mavic.
ll

Reactions: sassafras
Yep. Awesome vid btw
"Spark = instagram, mavic = YouTube"

I disagree. Highest res on YouTube is 1080 which both can do

4K is great but only needed in some rare situation...

I have used both mavic and spark, and frankly you can't tell the difference at 1080

This video includes Spark, Mavic and Phantom 2 GoPro 4 footage and while the P2-GP4 footage can be spotted i can't tell the difference between Spark and Mavic even knowing which is which.
eo

I have both a Mavic and a Spark, love them both. I use the Spark for buzzing around both outside and inside the house plus when I travel for work I can fly around the hotel, no one pays much attention to me. I use the Mavic for everything else.

Reactions: John T
I'm a Mavic Pro owner right it's been a very solid machine so far. I've considered picking up a new Spark plus remote controller and already have a IPhone 6S Plus/Mini IPad 4 for control screen.

I was thinking the Spark would make for decent flying practice around the yard, but all the issues I've seen listed are making question if it's even worth the risk right now.

Also owe a Mavic, P4, Inspire 1, ....................

But couldn't resist and got me a Spark two weeks ago.

It is a great little machine and to my surprise, by now it does everything the way it should, including long distance flying.
It took some time until I could get everything to work right and finding my best setup. Not noticing any advantage by connecting Iphone or Ipad directly to the RC controller I just use WIFI now.
Not really using gesture mode and some other features I got them all to work consistently considering right light conditions, way of gesturing and distance from the quad. Just use this modes to show off to friends perhaps.
Considering the small case I use fitting RC plus car charger and fast setup I just have it with me in the car all the time. Like the Pano mode. Got some fantastic shots from places I did not dare to fly the Mavic.
Now there are some simple improvments on my wishlist which could be easily added with a FW upgrade like a vocal low battery warning and some more.
Now I do understand that some first time quad users can get frustrated if things seem not to work as advertised right out of the box.
I can't complain, happy camper, its a great photo and video platform for what I am using it for and can't wait until the FPV Camera App includes the Spark.

The other plus for the Spark is it can take hits better than the Mavic. I had a recent incident in Sport mode where it took longer than I thought to stop and wound up in the tree branches. I tried to manuever out but clipped a small branch and Sparky came down from about 20m with a loud thug. Had one broken prop and another prop broke one of the two L shaped prop to motor connectors. I had to dig the broken piece from the slot. Other than that, old Sparky was just fine after replacing the props with a new set. There are also a few torture test videos on YouTube. The results are pretty amazing for the Spark.

I wish Best buy had the Spark flymore package, they only have the Spark only. I would buy it today if they had the Flymore in stock.

Yep, I've had mine about two months now and it's been in some pretty precarious situations. It has been flawless so far. I've also had no problems with range using the wifi connection. It is easily my favorite DJI bird to fly just based on it's agility alone. It reminds me of a Miata. With that being said, I just recently purchased a Mavic because I've always had a love affair with that bird.

Just purchased a Spark combo, arriving tomorrow. It´ll join the Mavic for personal use (already have a few other DJI drones for professional use). Mostly because of its size/weight, stealthness factor and takeoff convenience.

Folks say it´s not too smaller than the MP. But it weights less than half which makes a huge diff. It takes off in less time too, and from my hand. No need to search around for "optimal" spots saves time, hassle and means less wasted chances to fly. The lower weight and the gimbal style also mean robustness. Not to mention it´s cheaper.

Those are very, very desirable features for my personal dronning: impromptu, mid-range, quick and stealth photo/filming during MTB/road biking, city escapes and traveling.

Coming from Inspires and even bigger drones, what I found is that as these quads get smaller and smaller I tend to rely on the smaller ones the most, even for some smaller jobs. I love the P4P for its camera and versatility, and the I2 for the payload, speed, smoothness, functionality and reliability. But they´re all quite big, heavy, cumbersome and spooky. The Inspire is a monster to fly even in open areas.

But even the Mavic draws a lot more attention than I desire, whether the good or bad type. Maybe the Spark will help with that. It looks a bit like a toy drone while sporting some serious quad/camera performance.

Just purchased a Spark combo, arriving tomorrow. It´ll join the Mavic for personal use (already have a few other DJI drones for professional use). Mostly because of its size/weight, stealthness factor and takeoff convenience.

Folks say it´s not too smaller than the MP. But it weights less than half which makes a huge diff. It takes off in less time too, and from my hand. No need to search around for "optimal" spots saves time, hassle and means less wasted chances to fly. The lower weight and the gimbal style also mean robustness. Not to mention it´s cheaper.

Those are very, very desirable features for my personal dronning: impromptu, mid-range, quick and stealth photo/filming during MTB/road biking, city escapes and traveling.

Coming from Inspires and even bigger drones, what I found is that as these quads get smaller and smaller I tend to rely on the smaller ones the most, even for some smaller jobs. I love the P4P for its camera and versatility, and the I2 for the payload, speed, smoothness, functionality and reliability. But they´re all quite big, heavy, cumbersome and spooky. The Inspire is a monster to fly even in open areas.

But even the Mavic draws a lot more attention than I desire, whether the good or bad type. Maybe the Spark will help with that. It looks a bit like a toy drone while sporting some serious quad/camera performance.

You won't regret it. That tiny footprint and it's capability are actually quite worthy purchase reasons. If your an IOS user it will be flawless on WiFi. Under the right conditions I've had it out 2 km. Being that you've had a lot of drone experience means you wont make any of the mistakes a lot of the people who buy this drone make. Looking like a toy has allowed me to fly it and be mostly ignored by everyone. Also, if you get an audience you show them the stupid Jedi modes and the whole thing seems even more like a gimmick. Perfect...

im 70 flights in and have never lost connection for a minute. Love it and buy it now. I am saving for a second for my son.

I just bought the spark combo at best buy
684.00 i will have it Wednesday as long as UPS doesn't go on strike

I received my Spark in early July and have no regrets at all. It is now my go to knock around bird for practicing shots and threading through tight spaces. I call it my weed whacker (usually run with OA off). I would not consider the Mavic a knock around drone as its three axis gimbal is substantially more fragile than the Spark's 2 axis gimbal. The Spark is one tough little quad that is fun to fly and one I can focus on the shot vs worrying about damaging it. Not saying I am reckless with it just it is easy to fly due to it size in the air.

If you already have a Mavic, I am not sure the Spark makes sense other than the points I made above. The Mavic is obviously a more capable videography tool.

I look at it this way.....play with the Spark...shoot with the Mavic. I love playing with the Spark....just hope they get the issues fixed soon.

Reactions: Kilrah
You won't regret it. That tiny footprint and it's capability are actually quite worthy purchase reasons. If your an IOS user it will be flawless on WiFi. Under the right conditions I've had it out 2 km. Being that you've had a lot of drone experience means you wont make any of the mistakes a lot of the people who buy this drone make. Looking like a toy has allowed me to fly it and be mostly ignored by everyone. Also, if you get an audience you show them the stupid Jedi modes and the whole thing seems even more like a gimmick. Perfect...

Yeah I´m an iOS guy all the way, even more so with these DJI drones. IMO it´s a lot more stable and reliable so I stick to it.

Flying ignored is always a bonus, no matter where or when because even when ppl are OK and positive about drones, we need full attention to get the best shots AND reduce potential for any trouble. I hate to draw attention, my Spark has just arrived so we´ll see how this goes.

I´ll report later, thanks for the support ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis