Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

All's well that ends well ! DJI replaced my Spark, no questions asked!

Pashasdad

Join
Jul 1, 2017
Guess we should discuss good outcomes after troubles with our aircraft and not only problems with bad outcomes.
I recently posted back on July 5 about my crash with the Spark after taking off from a deck railing on a beach. The drone immediately raced away and crashed into a house nearby. Many on this group were instrumental in helping me determine the possible reason for the crash. Best traced to a geomagnetic anomaly at the launch location indicated by the fact that the Go4 app showed the drone ready to ascend pointing east when in reality it was pointing north! Not a poor calibration caused it.
What i learned is that a pilot should verify that the drone is pointing in the same direction as the red arrow at the home position is pointing in the DJI Go4 app. If not, there may be something magnetically anomalous at that launch point. Change launch location till the direction pointed and red arrow agree. Really good advice from the Forum, pilots take note!

My Spark had 3 LED covers lost and one propeller completely missing, and the gimbal was a bit chipped but not too bad. Couldn't order replacement LED covers from DJI, they preferred I send it back to them. Log file had been uploaded to them and to this forum.
They immediately sent me a UPS label to return to California service center. I live on Long Island and it took 8 days to get to DJI. Slow plane to West Coast! I immediately got an acknowledgement that it was received. The next day I got a message that a brand new Spark would be sent to me in 2 days along with the new aircraft serial number !! No questions asked. WOW! Thank you DJI !!

It was just received today as promised. Had to activate it again since it was a new aircraft. After binding with the RC it works and flies great! Great ending to a poor beginning. THANK YOU AGAIN DJI !

Once in a while it's good to hear an all's well that ends well story. Thanks to all on this great forum too!

Last edited:
Glad to hear it all worked out, what happened with the home owner?
No problem, there was no damage, he was just startled by the sound heard on his siding from inside. He was very cordial and friendly, I was very very apologetic. It actually occured on July 4th just a few hours before sunset when everyone lights bonfires on the beach and fireworks begin. Lucky he wasn't sitting on his deck at the time.
I was afraid to fly the Spark later with the three LED covers lost to video the fireworks. Wanted to verify/check it out in the daytime, but it flew fine I found out later. However, I have a new replacement one, with all LED covers.
I put three very small dots of UV adhesive on the rims of the LED covers as recommended by DJI to prevent them from easily snapping off again.

Did DJI mention why they replaced it for free?

No they did not. In fact I had purchased DJI care. Didn't need to use it. They never said a word.

I guess we will never know what really happened then.

I have a red that needs to be fixed but I am worried they don't have the stock to replace if needed. I know they have white but wasn't sure other colors. Your experience is encouraging.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef