Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Best combination

Red Devil

Join
Nov 21, 2017
Can I get some advice on the best combination of phone or tablet Android or OIS to fly my Spark. Im currently using a fairly useless Android Mi phone which takes absolute ages to link via the controller.

Im currently using a fairly useless Android Mi phone which takes absolute ages to link via the controller.
Which part of that linking process seems to be taking ages? Can you describe it in greater detail?

It is the link via the controller to the drone itself. I have wait a while whilst the drone battery drains thereby limiting the time in the air.

A new mobile device is not going to solve that problem (since it does not control that link).

Reactions: Sparkbart
One of the local Spark suppliers felt that DJI had a better working relationship with IOS rather than Android devices. Probably no truth in that but I was thinking that there might be a better combination of phone, controller and drone than what I am using.

Has your phone popped up the message thats states that the connection has no Internet Access and you have not noticed the message. This appears in the Android notifications list which often goes un-noticed. The expectation is that you acknowledge the message before the WiFi connection is allowed to go active

One of the local Spark suppliers felt that DJI had a better working relationship with IOS rather than Android devices. Probably no truth in that but I was thinking that there might be a better combination of phone, controller and drone than what I am using.
After using the latest Android phone (Google Pixel) and now using an iPad...do yourself a favour and use iOS for your Spark...it's much better than Android

There is actually truth in that...

Years ago when I started flying DJI products I did a bunch of research into which tablet to buy. Back then and even now current or supported IOS products works almost seamlessly. I own multiple DJI drones (see signature) and various Ipads. I've had ZERO issues with Ipads and DJI drones. All you have to do is search any of the "pilot" forums whether its a Spark, Mavic, Inspire, or Phantom. And you'll see a larger number of android device issues compared to Apple.

Now there are those that have had zero issues with their android devices and some with IT backgrounds can get an android device working. But if you want hassle-free, buy an IOS/Apple device...

Regarding your connection issue. As stated above its not the tablet thats the issue...

There is actually truth in that...

Years ago when I started flying DJI products I did a bunch of research into which tablet to buy. Back then and even now current or supported IOS products works almost seamlessly. I own multiple DJI drones (see signature) and various Ipads. I've had ZERO issues with Ipads and DJI drones. All you have to do is search any of the "pilot" forums whether its a Spark, Mavic, Inspire, or Phantom. And you'll see a larger number of android device issues compared to Apple.

Now there are those that have had zero issues with their android devices and some with IT backgrounds can get an android device working. But if you want hassle-free, buy an IOS/Apple device...

Regarding your connection issue. As stated above its not the tablet thats the issue...
Stupid question but aside from Apple and Android devices. Would a crystalsky solve all the problems. Ironically enough the crystalsky from my understanding is an Android device. Im on the fence on whether I should purchase a crystalsky or just use a Samsung tablet that my son no longer uses.

Im on the fence on whether I should purchase a crystalsky or just use a Samsung tablet that my son no longer uses.
If the Samsung tablet meets your needs (size-wise and brightness-wise), then give it a shot before buying a new mobile device. If it does not work well, you could look into getting a different mobile device.

If the Samsung tablet meets your needs (size-wise and brightness-wise), then give it a shot before buying a new mobile device. If it does not work well, you could look into getting a different mobile device.
I actually purchased the crystalsky then cancelled because I think I was being impulsive. I also thought that I would rather not use my phone (Samsung S7) for using my drones. I prefer to keep my phone as a phone if possible. I look to upgrade my son's iPhone 5c so I may use that if anything although it is small.

I look to upgrade my son's iPhone 5c
That phone is not compatible with DJI GO. If you're going to use an Apple device, use one of the devices listed here.

That phone is not compatible with DJI GO. If you're going to use an Apple device, use one of the devices listed here.
Thanks for confirming. I guess there goes that idea.

Not to derail the topic. But is crystalsky really worth it. Money aside.

I had many problems with Android. But I took an old Samsung S5, I apply a factory reset and the phone and the remote control are working perfectly for about 3 months.
So the problem in not Android, is the combination of Apps. Do a factory reset and enjoy it.

Very subjective, but IMO, yes....

My reasoning is; These are AP drones. What good is an AP drone if you can't see what you want to "shoot"? I've already spent a mint on Ipads just for use with my DJI drones and while they work, the screen brightness or lack of has always bugged me. I hate having to use a sunshade which is clumsy and makes any of my remotes "bulky". I've got an Ipad Air 2 w/cellular and an Ipad 4 Mini w/cellular. I've got $800 plus into both of these and they still aren't bright enough or easily seen in bright light.

So a Crystal Sky is in my near-future...

Thanks for confirming. I guess there goes that idea.

Not to derail the topic. But is crystalsky really worth it. Money aside.

Reactions: Zoran
Very subjective, but IMO, yes....

My reasoning is; These are AP drones. What good is an AP drone if you can't see what you want to "shoot"? I've already spent a mint on Ipads just for use with my DJI drones and while they work, the screen brightness or lack of has always bugged me. I hate having to use a sunshade which is clumsy and makes any of my remotes "bulky". I've got an Ipad Air 2 w/cellular and an Ipad 4 Mini w/cellular. I've got $800 plus into both of these and they still aren't bright enough or easily seen in bright light.

So a Crystal Sky is in my near-future...
Yeah I prefer a dedicated device versus buying an iPad or a small iPhone. Although a small iPad or iPhone can provide more use than the Crystal Sky where it specifically for the Drone use itself. For the time being I do have a Samsung tablet that my son no longer use and I will probably just refresh that and see how it goes who knows it doesn't address the brightness but it'll save me several hundred dollars for now.

I will definitely be buying the Ultra Bright Crystal sky, purely for the fact you can use it on a sunny day without a sun shade..

Reactions: Sparkbart
Thanks belatedly to all of you who replied about the best combination to fly my Spark. I have now found out that my phone was very underpowered to fly the drone. Until I can fly it from my new IPhone 6, I just have to be patient whilst everything gets connected. I have got same terrific aerial pans done manually. Im a stills and not a video flyer.

I'm using an old note 3 which works well so far. I do want a completely dedicated quality device like the Crystal Sky. Unfortunately crunching the numbers to get a crystal Sky is like 600+ when all said and done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar