Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI just reported my mails as spam just cause I asked about the OTG limitation

Join
Dec 16, 2017
View attachment 2381 View attachment 2380 Okay recently I’m facing restrictions where the max altitude is 50m and the distance is 100m when using the OTG Cable with the spark remote. I was honestly pissed about the restriction so I contacted DJI. I sent a few emails and I didn’t receive a full explanation as to why they restrict the OTG. So I contacted support again and got the same agent I got the first time and now she has reported me for spamming. right now I don’t get any replies from DJI. The only reason they told me for the restriction was OTG was not tested out by DJI for the spark(Bullsh*t). Cause there were some accessories for the spark which uses the OTG connection and why does it work better than WiFi? With WiFi I can barely get the spark going for 500m(it gets disconnected). What do y’all think? If all of us contact DJI and ask them for OTG, perhaps they might listen. If DJI were to see this, “No DJI! I ain’t purchasing DJI goggles just to get clear footage via OTG

They (DJI) are correct in regards to the OTG cable and non-DJI devices. DJI has said since day 1 that the OTG connection method was not supported and at any given time it might be disabled. Go over to the RC Groups forum an you find these statements for 2 DJI contributors.

I mean, do you honestly blame them? Over on the DJI Spark forum and even here, there are people spamming “OMFG NO OTG”, “WHY CANT I SEE INFO OVER OTG”, “DJI WHY NO OTG”. It’s honestly getting old. They’ve repeatedly said they’re working on officially supporting OTG and yet people are still whining because they don’t get a special individual response from DJI. They can’t accept the 20+ times DJI reps have said it’s being worked on. That’s probably why they flagged you as spam.

Hahah one fella is saying that DJI said it was not supported since day one and another saying that DJI has officially said they’ll release the OTG feature soon. Either way I value your response

Hahah one fella is saying that DJI said it was not supported since day one and another saying that DJI has officially said they’ll release the OTG feature soon. Either way I value your response
Exactly...they (DJI) will be officially releasing the feature soon. Because it was never officially released in the past. The RC Groups forum member (blade strike) in the screenshot below is a DJI engineer/tech.

upload_2017-12-24_11-26-32.png

Reactions: Kilrah
Hahah one fella is saying that DJI said it was not supported since day one and another saying that DJI has officially said they’ll release the OTG feature soon.
And both are correct, it's supposed to become a feature in the future but at this point has never been one officially.

I do think it was kind of silly of DJI for not having made the OTG support from the very start with the remote controller. But only because most DJI drones are connected and work with a cable tethered to their remotes in a similar fashion. For the current customers of habit they already think they must have a cable connected to their remotes and smart devices anyways, since this is what they have grown used to.

It also should have been no surprise to DJI that there is a good bit of out cry once customers figured out that a connected OTG cable somewhat worked, but worst of all also provided a little better performance than what they was currently getting without the cable connected.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is with the mavic pro OTG is supported. They provide you the cables for OTG. Not sure how this is any different.

What I don't understand is with the mavic pro OTG is supported. They provide you the cables for OTG. Not sure how this is any different.
The Mavic has a special port just for Goggles, and a different one for the OTG connection. Spark just has 1 for the Goggles, which usually don't have a touch feedback, although I guess this isn't the issue DJI has with it.

The Mavic has a special port just for Goggles, and a different one for the OTG connection. Spark just has 1 for the Goggles, which usually don't have a touch feedback, although I guess this isn't the issue DJI has with it.
Not to overly complicate the technicalities I thought on the Mavic controller whether you use the micro USB on the side or the USB on the bottom it works the same way. Hmm

They are 2 totally different devices (i.e. Occusync & WIFI). Apart from that, you get what you pay for. Not saying that the Spark is a cheap device, but obviously if the Spark had all the features of the Mavic the cost$ would be more and would probably be named "MAVIC II".

The Mavic out of the box has way more capability and range than the Spark does even with the OTG. It's also 2x's the cost.

At $700 for the Spark and fly more combo (certainly not cheap) DJI needs to make the OTG cable applicable to the Spark or make the wifi work way better than it does.

DJI has a huge winner in what the Spark has become in it's short life. People love this little machine and understand that it is certainly NOT a Mavic. Let's hope they do the right thing soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef